Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: The Call-Ups

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,290

    The Call-Ups

    JUST GOT THIS: Tomorrow, the Reds are expected to recall from Louisville RHP Todd Coffey, RHP Kirk Saarloos, RHP Brad Salmon, 1B/OF Joey Votto (#19) and IF/OF Buck Coats (#63) and select from Louisville the contract of C Ryan Hanigan (#65).

    When they play, Votto and Hanigan will become the ninth and 10th Reds players to make Major League debuts this season.

    I like some of these call-ups. Votto and Salmon are good to see, and we can use another catcher. I am not too sure about Saarloos, Coffey, and our newest outfielder Buck Coats. I am surprised the called up Coats instead of Dickerson.

    I copied this from C. Trent Rosecrans.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 09-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Jay Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    193

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Coffey definitely deserves another chance. I know that he has become a major whipping boy this year around Redszone, but his high ERA can be partly attributed to some horrible luck. He had a good K ratio at 7.25/9, and his K/BB was 2.12. His HR/9 has been a godawful 2.22/9, but his HR/FB has been a horrifyingly unluckly 27.5%. Couple that with a .358 BABIP, and you have a 6.04 ERA. I believe that this season can be chalked up to a small sample size, and that Coffey will get back on track next year.

    I do agree about bringing up Saarloos, he has looked awful this year. By looking at his stats, Coats has poor power, so I assume that he is a pretty good fielder.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    472

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    Coffey definitely deserves another chance. I know that he has become a major whipping boy this year around Redszone, but his high ERA can be partly attributed to some horrible luck. He had a good K ratio at 7.25/9, and his K/BB was 2.12. His HR/9 has been a godawful 2.22/9, but his HR/FB has been a horrifyingly unluckly 27.5%. Couple that with a .358 BABIP, and you have a 6.04 ERA. I believe that this season can be chalked up to a small sample size, and that Coffey will get back on track next year.

    I do agree about bringing up Saarloos, he has looked awful this year. By looking at his stats, Coats has poor power, so I assume that he is a pretty good fielder.
    Coffey has had problems putting guys away even going back to last year when he supposedly had an OK year. This year Brantley was on him from early in spring training when he was getting ahead and not finishing guys.

    As for luck. I guess any thing can be quantified if one tries hard enough but I am an older guy who is of the Bill Russell school (the basketball guy; not the former Dodger shortstop) when it comes to luck. As Russ always said, "It is better to be good than to be lucky because the good make their own luck". And I also believe the inverse applies at least equally.

    It has been well chronicled on this site and other places what Coffey needs to do to turn himself around. If he does those things he will become a success and probably be around a while. If not he likely will be remembered as a short timer who seemed to have all the tools but couldn't over come some bad luck.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pataskala
    Posts
    253

    Re: The Call-Ups

    bummer...
    have to wait on Cueto and Bruce
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

  6. #5
    Member Jay Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    193

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    It has been well chronicled on this site and other places what Coffey needs to do to turn himself around. If he does those things he will become a success and probably be around a while. If not he likely will be remembered as a short timer who seemed to have all the tools but couldn't over come some bad luck.
    It may very well be true that he is a short timer, but I am of the belief that luck plays a large part in baseball, and that it is largely out of the control of the player, no matter what Brantley says. I also believe that over a large enough sample size, luck will even out, and the 44 innings that Coffey pitched is not a large enough sample size to draw a clear conclusion from. He is still relatively young, has had previous success, good control, and can strike people out. I would keep giving him chances to right himself while he is still inexpensive, as he can still become a consistent reliever.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: The Call-Ups

    nice wishful thinking, he gives up too many hits, pitches like a moron and has no learning curve

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,290

    Re: The Call-Ups

    In any case, Coffey will now get the opportunity to prove he can turn things around. I hope Votto gets a lot of starts down the stretch, Salmon wins a roster spot in the month of September. I would also like to see Hanigan prove he is a better option than Jorgensen(who I wish was still here), and Coats show he could carry the coat of Dickerson, who I think should have been called up.

  9. #8
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Todd Coffey in a few years=Ricky Stone.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyRedsFan View Post
    bummer...
    have to wait on Cueto and Bruce

    Even if Bruce sat on the bench all of September........the benefits of just being up here seeing what life as a major leaguer is like and talking with the players would be a plus. Now, he'll have to adapt when the pressure is on rather than when it's off. I think this is a big mistake. If he got into 4 or 5 games in the next month, that would be enough to get his feet wet. The pressure is off. No better time to initiate a rookie.

    Also, we've gone through the gauntlet of 5th starters..........why not give Cueto a shot? This is ridiculous.

    I'm a WK fan, but I disagree with not getting these two guys feet wet.
    Who's on first?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    749

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Even if Bruce sat on the bench all of September........the benefits of just being up here seeing what life as a major leaguer is like and talking with the players would be a plus. Now, he'll have to adapt when the pressure is on rather than when it's off. I think this is a big mistake. If he got into 4 or 5 games in the next month, that would be enough to get his feet wet. The pressure is off. No better time to initiate a rookie.

    Also, we've gone through the gauntlet of 5th starters..........why not give Cueto a shot? This is ridiculous.

    I'm a WK fan, but I disagree with not getting these two guys feet wet.
    I think the reason we arent seeing Bruce and Cueto is the fact that the organization doesnt want to start the clock on arbitration.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

  12. #11
    Member dunner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    607

    Re: The Call-Ups

    I also think part of the reason your not seeing bruce or cueto is because wayne isnt expecting them to make the team out of spring training next year. So why bring them up if there going to be in the minors next year anyway. If they were going to be in the majors next year like votto then you dont really care about starting the arbitartion clock but if they wont be up here again til a year from now then why start the clock.

    Not saying I agree with it just saying thats what I think they are thinking.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    749

    Re: The Call-Ups

    And I also just read that Cueto isnt up because he has thrown over 160 innings.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Wow. I guess his arm is about to fall off. (sarcasm)
    Who's on first?

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    749

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Wow. I guess his arm is about to fall off. (sarcasm)
    No you're probably right in thinking he'd be fine, but almost every organization is going to be cautious with the amount of innings a good prospect will throw. Look at the Joba Rules in New York. They aren't doing that just to make headlines. THey are also trying to protect that guy.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,290

    Re: The Call-Ups

    Teams are always careful not to increase the amount of innings a top pitching prospect pitches at one time. They prefer to slowly increase the amount of innings.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25