Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What did Joe Nuxhall throw?

What did Joe Nuxhall throw?

I was reading The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers and they only have fastball and slider listed ha his pitches. I find it hard to believe a starting pitcher would only have two pitches. Does anyone know what type of pitches he really used?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What did Joe Nuxhall throw?

I believe Mario Soto only had 2 pitches, but don't quote me as I am not 100% sure. It is not the number of pitches that is important, but how well you command them

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I believe Mario Soto only had 2 pitches, but don't quote me as I am not 100% sure. It is not the number of pitches that is important, but how well you command them
    Soto had at least 3

1. Circle Change 2. Fastball (90-95) 3. Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Soto had at least 3

That Change paid the bills though.

Soto had at least 3

Soto's change was so good, the batter could guess right that it was coming and still miss it, just like with a first class heater.

Often he actually turned it out on the release so it dived and ran away from lefties (sort of a screwball action). And it never seemed to run straight. Always moved;sometimes horizonally; sometimes vertically and as above sometimes both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    That Change paid the bills though.
    And I think he had at least 2 different changes that he threw, not just the same one all the time.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

So does anyone know if Nuxhall had more than a fastball and a slider?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    So does anyone know if Nuxhall had more than a fastball and a slider?
    I guess I get to show my age here. He had a pretty decent curve ball. Often described as a southpaw's natural curve. When it was working, he could be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I guess I get to show my age here. He had a pretty decent curve ball. Often described as a southpaw's natural curve. When it was working, he could be effective.
    In the early days of the Astros (known then as the Colt .45s), Joe and Don Wilson got hooked up in back to back turns of the rotation, one in Cincy and one in Houston that were both close to classic confrontations.

I believe Wilson pitched a no hitter in one of the games but lost it on an unearned run. Joe I think allowed 1 hit in that one. The other one was won by Houston. I think Joe and Don both had 1 hitters in that affair. It may have gone to extra innings and been settled by other pitchers. (Either I was not quite old enough then to remember it now or so old now I used to remember but can't any more).

Back when Joe was playing, the Reds home night games started at 8pm. Joe was such a notoriously slow starter that one of the jokes was "hold the 8 o'clock bus to Hamilton until 8:10 so Nuxhall can catch it if he has a bad 1st inning". Never doubt that Joe knows of which he speaks when he says "if you are going to get this guy, you better get him early."

Ken Johnson itched the no hitter, Nellie Fox made an error the reds won, Johnson pitched not Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Ken Johnson itched the no hitter, Nellie Fox made an error the reds won, Johnson pitched not Wilson
    You are corect. As I warned, I have my memories crossed a little bit.

My best Nuxhall story though is not a major league baseball story.

Several years back when Joe's autobiography was published, my father was in his final days. He was something of a contemporary of Joe's and had been a pretty fair high school, legion, then semipro catcher himself for several years.

One way or another after his debut with the Reds at age 15 and playing some in the minors, Nuxhall had gotten his amateur status at least partially restored (to borrow a phrase, it is in the book) and played locally for a year or two before going back to his pro career. During this period ny father had faced Joe a time or two in either an American Legion or Semipro game.

When my father was in his last month of life he went to one of the book signings Joe was having in the area. My dad was in a wheel chair. They had Joe on a temporary stage with no handicap access. When my dad's turn came, somebody with the store started to take the book and hand it up to Joe; but, Joe saw the situation and came down off the stage to sign the book and have a few words with my dad. I wasn't there myself but whatever Joe said about what he remembered made my dad's day and then some. That turned out to be my dad's last outing; and thanks to Joe, I think it gave him a very special memory to savor in his last couple of weeks.

Soto had at least 3

I don't believe that Soto began throwing the slider until very late in his career. In fact, many blame the slider and Pete Rose, who made him throw it, for shortening Soto's career.

I too, am showing my age with this story. In the early '60s, I caught a foul ball thrown by Nuxhall to Maury Wills, at Crosley Field. It had a rather large area of spit mixed with tobacco juice on it. Years later I had a chance to meet Joe and I re-told my story to him. He laughed, and readily admitted to thowing the spitter, especially later in his career. He said the last one he threw was to Richie Allen in Philadelphia and it still hasn't come down! So, add the spitter to his collection of pitches.

Turn Off Ads?