Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Before the end of 2008, who would you like to see traded?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam Dunn

6 10.53%
  • Ken Griffey, Jr.

28 49.12%
  • both

9 15.79%
  • neither

14 24.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Want to Stay/Go?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Who Do You Want to Stay/Go?

Discuss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Do You Want to Stay/Go?

Both will be gone by the end of 2008. It's not a matter of want or not want. It's pretty much a given.

I think Griffey will be gone - it makes sense, his contract (save the option) will be over. It's highly doubtful that the Reds exercise the option. I think Jay Bruce starts at AAA and Griffey gets moved mid-season (although there's an outside chance, IMO, that he could be moved in the off-season). Personally, I'd like to see Dunn resigned to about a four year deal.

Junior will be gone, simply a matter of contract verses declining ability. I'd like to see him in the AL where he could DH and extend his career. As a hitter he still has some good years left.

I'd like to see Dunn re-signed but is that realistic? Dollarwise I mean. 4 years at 50 million I could go for but more than that and I'd rather he was traded.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Both will be gone by the end of 2008. It's not a matter of want or not want. It's pretty much a given.
    No it is. That is the question. I would like to see Griffey out so we can move on with Jay Bruce around June of 08.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    No it is. That is the question. I would like to see Griffey out so we can move on with Jay Bruce around June of 08.
    The question was by the end of 2008.

Neither side will be pushing for Griffey's option to be picked up for 2009. It won't and he will be gone.

At this point Dunn is biding his time until free agency. Because of his age he will probably want (and get) a 6-7 year contract. Even if he isn't 'about the money', I have a hard time understanding why he would want to remain with the Reds. They really haven't done a whole lot to make him want to stay and aren't exactly pereniial contenders. He will not be back in 2009 either.

Griffey MIGHT be dealt in the off season. It would suit him more than during the middle of the season I'd suspect.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I could see Junior gone by opening day of next year...Dunn, I like his bat, his D is horrible and that bothers me but there is a reason why teams put horrible defenders in LF in the first place, right?

I don't think Dunn will bring the sort of return to trade him in the off season.. So I think he will be here and I would imagine he is signed to a LTC unless we get a reasonable return offer for him...but that wouldn't happen until after next April.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

IMO, the best scenario would be to trade Griffey by the trading deadline next season. Sign Dunn LTC. Bring up Bruce by mid season and then you would have an outfield of Dunn Hamilton and Bruce for about the next ten seasons. Will it happen? I doubt it because this is the Reds and things never work as planned.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    The question was by the end of 2008.
    Correct. But the question was, "Before the end of 2008, who would you like to see traded?"

In other words, if you were GM, what would you like to see happen. Just about everyone was saying what the Reds will do, but what would you like them to do?

It's like asking, "would you like having a million dollars?" Then responding with, "it won't happen." It doesn't answer the question.

Way to go Cumberlands. You got the idea.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 09-04-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Theoretically, I don't want either of them gone. Both are producers and bring things to this team that is hard to replace. That said, both are likely gone by Opening day 2009 at the latest. I could certainly see Griffey traded in the offseason and I would be very surprised if the Reds didn't trade Adam Dunn before the season is over in 2008.

Deal JR next year after he hits number 600, then let Bruce have the job full time (that means not sharing time with Hopper!)

Sign Dunn to a long term deal, if we can't "afford" Dunn then we need to get out of the NL and head down to the International League
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Sign Dunn to a long term deal, if we can't "afford" Dunn then we need to get out of the NL and head down to the International League
    No kidding. We're not a feeder team.

At least, we shouldn't be.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

When it comes to Griffey, if he hits homerun #600 before the end of the season, I could see him traded in the off-season. If he doesn't, I could see him traded before the deadline next year. I like the idea of trading him whenever possible, though. If I can't find anything worth trading for, then I'd pay his buyout and attempt to negotiate an extension at a bargain price (as long as he's interested, which I should obviously have doubts about). Otherwise, maybe he'd be a type-A or type-B free agent, so I could offer arbitration and get the draft pick compensation.

When it comes to Adam Dunn, I want him gone, gone, gone. It's nothing against him--overall, I think he's one of the best at his position. However, for a small-to-mid-market club like the Reds, I don't think he's worth the four-year, $60M contract or however much it would take to keep him.

If I could trade both Dunn and Griffey, I would free up more than $20M of payroll, and I could have a solid outfield of Josh Hamilton, Freel/Hopper/free agent, and Jay Bruce. If that money goes to pay for above average pitching, I'm in heaven.

Personally, I don't like the idea of spending $10M+ on a player unless it's a starting pitcher with a great history of success--and even then, I would want the contract to be as short-term as possible.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes Dunn would be willing to sign a LTC contract to stay with the Reds.

If money and/or years is important to him, better offers are undoubtedly to be found on the open market.

If winning is important to him, better teams are to be found.

If environment is important to him, he is a long ways away from home and has not been shown a whole lot of love by the organization or fan base. His lounge chair was removed, his best friend traded, his work ethic and desire questioned at every turn. The fact that his parents won't even listen to the 'voice of the Reds' simply cannot be ignored.

They way I see it Dunn and Griffey are gone by 2009, it is just a matter of how much, if anything, the Reds can get for them.

Turn Off Ads?