Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope

Hope

The Reds are the ultimate tease this year.

We all know better. Still, we allow ourselves to be lured back in with their siren song.

We know we're gonna get smashed to bits on the rocky shore. We know.

Doesn't matter. Show us a little leg and we're right back in there, imagining the incredible long shot just may be within reach.....

We know better. We know Lucy is gonna' pull that football back just like she always does. Just like she's done a thousand times before.

We know. And we still try to kick it.

We can't help ourselves, poor pitiful wretches we've been reduced to.

Our odds of really contending before the Cardinal series were about as good as our odds of hitting the lotto. Our odds of hitting the lotto wouldn't be much different had we never been born. But hey, you can't win if you don't play, right?

There we were, checking the standings, imagining that we still could catch lightning in a bottle, the impossible dream, the year choses you.... yadda, yadda, yadda.

We don't think it could happen, really. We've all read more than enough logical explanations as to why it isn't possible. We all know better.

But there's something about baseball that speaks to hope.... hope that the impossible can happen... hope that the world isn't really cold and cruel and the good guy always wins in the end and David really can slay Goliath. It's our better nature that hopes. It's the ability to suspend reality and imagine the unimaginable that makes us this way.

So, that part of our fantasy life that baseball fuels is allowed to run amok a few days, or maybe a few weeks a year.

It's a good thing, really. It's good for the soul. We hone our hope like a sharp sword on the whetstone of cold, cruel reality as Reds fans. I dread the day that I ever give up hope. I don't care what I know, or what I'm told, or what I see. The day I give up hope is the day I really do get old, and that's a day I'll fight until my dying breath.

I've often heard it said that baseball is a metaphor for life. I believe that with all my heart.

That's why it's not wrong to hope. That's why you're not an idiot when you check the standings until the day you're mathematically eliminated.

That's why you allow yourself to be sucked back in after you're sure it's over, even knowing what you know. It's what makes us human, the denial that the entire human experience can be reduced to a formula.

To sleep, perchance to dream.....
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hope

Geez RFS - there is no more "rep" system, you don't need to write soliloquies to bump up your rep anymore!!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

You're the man, RFS62.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Damn, thats be some fine writin'

Nice job, RFS
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Geez RFS - there is no more "rep" system, you don't need to write soliloquies to bump up your rep anymore!!!

Dude, he can't help it. Shakespeare was his English teacher.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    We know better. We know Lucy is gonna' pull that football back just like she always does. Just like she's done a thousand times before.
    I keep hoping, metaphorically speaking, that the Reds decide to kick Lucy in the head and run off with the football.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

And even now(or back in June in my case), as we give up hope for winning THIS year, we have hope for next year.

"Boy, look at those rookies! Jay and Joey and Homer and Johnny will be the answer...."

I love it...Still, I feel lucky to have seen the lightening strike a few times; first in the 70s with the BRM, then again in 1990. Hope truly does spring eternal.

Didn't you or someone else write this last year at the same time (or maybe the year before, the year before that, etc.)?

Seems I remember some of the stuff - but with this team it's been deja vu all over again for the past 7 seasons... sigh...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'm making my reservation.

Same place, same time, next year.

Pay attention to the open sky

What you really mean to say is that it's alot like this....

The reason we held onto hope is for two basic reasons.....

1. They had one of the best win-loss records in MLB in August

2. The teams ahead of them, in the worst division in baseball, are playing like they don't want to win it either

Thank God the Reds are in the NL Central!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What answer shall I make to this base man?
    Shall I so much dishonour my fair stars,
    On equal terms to give him chastisement?
    Either I must, or have mine honour soil'd

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    What he said...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

...it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

http://www.canadianshakespeares.ca/m...andshuster.asx

Pay attention to the open sky

...much ado about nothing...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?