Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no Bruce??

Hybrid View

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Why no Bruce??

Pete Mackanin's response to the Bruce question was..."He's what, 20 years old? There is your answer".

That's the best you can do?

Re: Why no Bruce??

My gut feeling is they don't wait to lock down a spot on the 40 man roster by calling him up.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    My gut feeling is they don't wait to lock down a spot on the 40 man roster by calling him up.
    which makes total sense going into the off season. Bruce will have his chance to win a spot in spring training IMO, no sense creating roster inflexibility for now....
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Do you take at bats from Hamilton, Griffey, or Dunn to work him in? The only argument I can see is to expose him to the lifestyle, but I'm not sure that merits starting his clock. Besides, what do you really learn from 50 at bats? I'm only in favor of bringing guys up if they're clearly past due, are going to play every day, or increase your likelihood of making the playoffs. Bruce is 0-3 in that regard.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-04-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm fine with keeping him down if that's what they choose to do. He is only 20 and really didn't spend much time at AAA. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he'll be up next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Do you take at bats from Hamilton, Griffey, or Dunn to work him in? The only argument I can see is to expose him to the lifestyle, but I'm not sure that merits starting his clock. Besides, what do you really learn from 50 at bats? I'm only in favor of bringing guys up if they're clearly past due, are going to play every day, or increase your likelihood of making the playoffs. Bruce is 0-3 in that regard.
    Exactly!

"I talked to Jay last Tuesday night," Krivsky said. "I brought him into [Louisville manager] Rick Sweet's office. We had a great talk. He fully understands our position in terms of the ability to get at-bats here, or the lack thereof."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Who doesn't play in the OF so that this 20 yr old can? Hasn't he been playing RF for the Bats? Who's gonna tell Jr he's benched and give justification?

Why are we in such a mode of trying to rush our youngsters through the system?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Exactly!

"I talked to Jay last Tuesday night," Krivsky said. "I brought him into [Louisville manager] Rick Sweet's office. We had a great talk. He fully understands our position in terms of the ability to get at-bats here, or the lack thereof."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Who doesn't play in the OF so that this 20 yr old can? Hasn't he been playing RF for the Bats? Who's gonna tell Jr he's benched and give justification?

Jay has actually spent a majority of his time in Louisville as a centerfielder (81.3% of his AAA at bats came with him as a centerfielder).

I'm glad to see the very measured responses to this question. Matt, why the huge dissatisfaction with Mackanin's answer. It feels like there's nothing that he or Krivsky can say or do that doesn't rub you the wrong way.

I'll just repeat what most everyone else said. Why on earth would we needlessly start Bruce's clock? Why bring him up when we've got three outfielders in place now. I'm not fan of bringing kids up to let them sit and absorb the ML experience. He'll have that soon enough. My guess he's here sometime next year and that's early enough.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm glad to see the very measured responses to this question. Matt, why the huge dissatisfaction with Mackanin's answer. It feels like there's nothing that he or Krivsky can say or do that doesn't rub you the wrong way.

I'll just repeat what most everyone else said. Why on earth would we needlessly start Bruce's clock? Why bring him up when we've got three outfielders in place now. I'm not fan of bringing kids up to let them sit and absorb the ML experience. He'll have that soon enough. My guess he's here sometime next year and that's early enough.

It's just a dumb answer. That's all.

It makes it sounds like there's an age requirement to be a big league ball player.

Krivsky's answer is better...although I don't completely buy it, it at least has some substance.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-04-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It's just a dumb answer. That's all.

It makes it sounds like there's an age requirement to be a big league ball player.

Krivsky's answer is better...
    Fair point. That it's justified isn't the point. Why be so flip?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's only rushing him if he isn't ready.

I understand all the reasons for not bringing him up and don't disagree. But there's a pretty compelling reason to bring him up: If you find out he's ready, it can influence your offseason decisions regarding Dunn and Junior. And this franchise faces HUGE decisions on those two players.

They have to address the pitching staff. To do that, they're going to have to trade some legitimate talent. If you have a guy banging down the door in the minors at a given position, it makes it easier to decide who to trade for pitching.

Now ... They may very well feel they know all they need to know about Jay Bruce. That's fine. But this is a huge offseason ...

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    It's only rushing him if he isn't ready.

I understand all the reasons for not bringing him up and don't disagree. But there's a pretty compelling reason to bring him up: If you find out he's ready, it can influence your offseason decisions regarding Dunn and Junior. And this franchise faces HUGE decisions on those two players.

They have to address the pitching staff. To do that, they're going to have to trade some legitimate talent. If you have a guy banging down the door in the minors at a given position, it makes it easier to decide who to trade for pitching.

Now ... They may very well feel they know all they need to know about Jay Bruce. That's fine. But this is a huge offseason ...
    I think the Reds know exactly what they have in Jay Bruce and they don't believe they need him to get at bats right now to know what he can do next season. This offseason is huge in terms of the future, I just hope the Reds make the right decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Fair point. That it's justified isn't the point. Why be so flip?
    I think I'm just worn out....this team will do that.

I could find him some at bats.....maybe not a ton, but some.

Perhaps I might suggest not being so caught up in the parsing of the detailed minutia that surrounds the everyday operation of the team?

When you dig through the garbage looking for trash don't be surprised that's what you find.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I could find him some at bats.....maybe not a ton, but some.
    Don't worry Matt. I was referring to Mac. Though I'm sure he feels the same way...

Turn Off Ads?