Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why no Bruce??

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Why no Bruce??

Jason Ellison will be getting at bats and spot starts that Jay Bruce could get...

It works both ways

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    One of the problems with kids progressing this fast through the system is that the opponent never really gets a good "book" on you. Eventually you'll get to MLB and they will certainly get one on you. If you haven't been trained to make adjustments, then you'll likely struggle and lose some measure of confidence. I like my players teaming with confidence.

Does this apply to Bruce? I'd say it applies to everyone. The question is how much training would one need to be able to make these adjustments? I think with his rise through the levels nobody really will have an answer to that. He might hit like a monster from day one and never falter, me might crash and burn never really having been forced to make adjustments at any level, much less the MLB level. Likely he'll fall in between, but which will he be closer too?

Ecxcellent point. But they are going to get a book on him sooner or later. Still, you'd like to see him playing on a regular basis to make those adjustments rather than pinch hitting every 3rd game or platooning.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Jason Ellison will be getting at bats and spot starts that Jay Bruce could get...

It works both ways
    yeah but once the season is over ellison can just be cut from the 40 man roster with no repercussions.

once Bruce is on the 40 man roster I believe he must stay there otherwise the Reds would risk losing him. it just doesn't make sense to add him to the 40 man prior to the off season when the Reds will need as much flexibility with the 40 man as possible.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

No need to bring him up now. Even though I would love to watch him play, it's just doesn't make any sense to do it. It's not clear to me that Jay will make the club next spring either. It will all depend on Jr. and Dunn. If both are here, I can't see Bruce coming up that soon. The Reds have to trade someone or not pick up Dunn's option, which is a horrible idea. Trade Jr.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Good thing no one told that to Junior when he started out... wasn't he 20 years old or younger as a rookie and a 1st round draft choice as well???

And Griffey was brought up out of Spring Training when he won a job at that time. He was not brought the previous September.

So, applying the same logic to the Bruce situation, they are handling him like the Mariners handled Griffey, and that worked out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    And Griffey was brought up out of Spring Training when he won a job at that time. He was not brought the previous September.

So, applying the same logic to the Bruce situation, they are handling him like the Mariners handled Griffey, and that worked out OK.

That is IF he could win a spot in next year's OF - if Junior is kept, they pick up Dunn's option and then you have Hamilton... where does Bruce go... stay in Louisville till the middle of the year?

Personally, I really don't care if he gets ANY at bats. I just think it's important for a 1st round draft choice to get the feel of being in the major leagues.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

The kid has played a lot of baseball with great success? Why put a bump in the road. Not to mention he is going to the AFL and play for Team USA correct? He's got plenty on his plate. 15 Big league AB's can wait.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not only are you starting his clock but you are burning options and he is taking the spot of someone else on the 40 man that you may need to protect over the winter.

Mackanin's answer is a dumb one though.

Actually I believe that an option is not used if he is brought up after Sept 1.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Actually I believe that an option is not used if he is brought up after Sept 1.
    yeah but he does have to be put on the 40 man roster.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Bringing someone up does not use an option, only sending them down does.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Bruce would be taking away at bats from Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., or Josh Hamilton. Bailey took away starts from Phil Dumatrait. You do the math.
    I've no indication that the Reds' front office understands this distinction
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Bringing someone up does not use an option, only sending them down does.
    A player can be called up and sent down as many times as the club chooses for three seasons after that player begins his optional assignment (being added to the forty man roster but not the twenty-five man active roster).
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    yeah but he does have to be put on the 40 man roster.
    I understand that. I was just responding to the comment that we would be using an option which I do not believe is the case after Sept 1. I personally think the Reds are doing just right with him. I honestly think that they might have a tough time protecting some guys this year. I remember times when everyone got mad because we hadn't protected a couple of guys who were our top prospects and people got up in arms over it only to find out that no one wanted them. That just shows how bad this farm system was 2 -3 years ago. Leaving him off as long as we can is smart in my opinion. I fully expect to see him in the middle of next year though.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

It works both ways
    Maybe, but Jason Ellison is mostly going to start against left-handers on the few instances he does start.

You've already got Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton and Hopper you're trying to get at-bats for. And with Hamilton in particular, you want him to keep getting as many as absolutely possible.

Bruce has played at three minor league levels this year. He's going to play in instructional league and then for team USA. Give the kid some time off. Let him rest. He'll be in spring training next year and get all this "experience" with the big leaguers then without taking up a roster spot that could be very valuable this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I understand that. I was just responding to the comment that we would be using an option which I do not believe is the case after Sept 1. I personally think the Reds are doing just right with him. I honestly think that they might have a tough time protecting some guys this year. I remember times when everyone got mad because we hadn't protected a couple of guys who were our top prospects and people got up in arms over it only to find out that no one wanted them. That just shows how bad this farm system was 2 -3 years ago. Leaving him off as long as we can is smart in my opinion. I fully expect to see him in the middle of next year though.
    I agree.

Turn Off Ads?