Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Official Mike Stanton Thread

The Official Mike Stanton Thread

How can we stop this Monstrosity from occuring?!?!?!:

Stanton gets salaries of $2 million next year and $3 million in 2008. There's an option for 2009 at $2.5 million, with a buyout of $500,000. If he appears in 140 games over the next two seasons, the option-year salary vests at $2.75 million.

FYI, he now is at 61 games this year. 6.0+ ERA. :thumbdown

The only thing we need less than Mike Stanton on this team in 2008, is having Mike Stanton on this teamin 2009.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Mike Stanton Thread

No way is he here in 09. With the call-ups they can/should put him on the shelf for the remainder of the season. That would take 70-80 appearances in 08 for his option to kick in. With Bray, Gosling, Coutlangus, and Pelland in the mix for bullpen spots next season I would expect Krivsky to look to get rid of him during the offseason. Even if he is on the team in 08, I gotta believe Krivsky is going to bring in someone that should take away appearances from Stanton.

He won't be here in 09. I don't think he will make it the whole year next year. If I were the Reds I would make him get in shape this offseason. If he doesn't you have more reason to cut him. I don't care about the salary.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    How can we stop this Monstrosity from occuring?!?!?!:

Stanton gets salaries of $2 million next year and $3 million in 2008. There's an option for 2009 at $2.5 million, with a buyout of $500,000. If he appears in 140 games over the next two seasons, the option-year salary vests at $2.75 million.

FYI, he now is at 61 games this year. 6.0+ ERA. :thumbdown

The only thing we need less than Mike Stanton on this team in 2008, is having Mike Stanton on this team in 2009.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    There are several ways: 1. He can retire 2. He can be traded 3. We can reduce the number of appearances he gets 4. We can release him. I would not expect there is much chance for the second or the fourth possibilities to happen.

Thanks for the Input fellas. I hope to sweet baby Jesus that he's not on our roster in 2008. That'd be the best way to avoid letting that option vest for 2009.

We have enough bullpen guys, particularly lefties - Bray, Cout, Gosling - that we don't need to keep him around. Heck, I'd rather give Easy Eddie a $500K flier for Spring Training instead of Stanton.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

well, putting him in the ninth inning of a 7-0 game, for his 62nd Appearance of 2007, is NO WAY to stop him from vesting that option.

Anybody know a way to "persuade" him to retire before the 2008 season?!?!?

78 appearances between now and 2008 for him to VEST his $2.75M option for 2009.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

Anybody know a way to "persuade" him to retire before the 2008 season?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    throw meatballs at him?

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    throw meatballs at him?
    I hear he ate all the ones in the Reds clubhouse. I guess its time to get a collection going so we can buy more.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    throw meatballs at him?
    Seems fair to me. Since meatballs are what Stanton throws to everyone else.

FSN reported that Stanton was thinking about retiring in the off-season since he was no longer effective. I believe another member created a poll about his potential retirement.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

i think he is probably going to throw next year and spend the 3 million that we will give him and invest in an orange grove somewhere on the yucaton peninsula... at least thats what I would do. I love that place!
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 09-08-2007 at 01:15 AM.

double post. i hate my comp

triple. I now hate my connection as well

Next time simply edit the following posts. It happens to all of us once in a while

Turn Off Ads?