Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn vs Cunningham, Round 2

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Dunn vs Cunningham, Round 2

This was the thread on The Sun Deck:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62055
    I wanted to comment (but couldn't) that methinks Willie wants another "suspension" [read: vacation].

The Enquirer is running this piece on their website now..
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/309040070
    Dunn: Cunningham out of line
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Reds outfielder Adam Dunn said Tuesday that recent remarks by WLW’s Bill Cunningham suggesting Dunn played while drunk crossed the line.

Last Friday, following the Reds’ victory over Pittsburgh, Cunningham singled out Dunn and outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. for what he called a lack of hustle.

In the game, a base-running error by Dunn cost the Reds two runs in the fourth inning. And Griffey was criticized by Reds announcer Thom Brennaman for not making it to second base after a bloop single dropped between three Pirates.

The next day, Cunningham said Griffey should never wear a Reds uniform again, and said Dunn was drunk during the game.

“Adam Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field,” Cunningham said. “He has to have consequences for what he does. That is again a loafing ball player who … would have blew a .15 if someone gave (him) the intoxilizer last night. I say .15. The son of a gun is drunk. And he’s playing baseball in left field for the Redlegs.”

Before Tuesday’s game against the New York Mets, Dunn said Cunningham’s comments were out of bounds.

“Isn’t there a line?” Dunn said. “I think that goes over the line. We might want to do something about that.”

Rob Butcher, the Reds media relations director, said he’s trying to obtain a tape of the show.

Cunningham said Tuesday that his comments were in good fun.

“It was hyperbole,” he said. “I play a lot of softball. I play with guys who drink beer.

They treat a fly ball like a hand grenade and miss bases.”

Cunningham said he has no facts to support that Dunn was drunk during the game. “It was simply a sarcastic comment made tongue-in-cheek,” Cunningham said.

Dunn found nothing amusing about Cunningham’s statement.

“That’s pretty bad,” he said.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Dunn vs Cunningham, Round 2

“Isn’t there a line?” Dunn said
    Good question.

There is one...we can't cross it, but nobody defines it...

If I was the Reds I'd want the guy fired or I wouldn't renew when the contract was up.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Does anyone really listen to him anyway? How could anyone take this stuff serious. It's too bad we can't talk about baseball in September instead of a radio announcer creating news by calling the Reds best player a drunk.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

WLW seems determined to run Dunn out of town.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's always been the same in Cincy: Blame the pitfalls of your team on the best player.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Good question.

There is one...we can't cross it, but nobody defines it...
    Why would Dunn bother taking Cunningham seriously?

I do agree with Adam that the comments were a bit much. It's not like Cunningham is on a station no one listens to. Granted, Dunn does look like a monkey with a football in LF. Maybe, he was just mad that Cunningham called him out on a night where he wasn't drunk.. JUST KIDDING. I am sure, his royal highness, Rob Butcher will handle this appropriately.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

WLW, doing more to hurt the Reds then help
    Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If I was the Reds I'd want the guy fired or I wouldn't renew when the contract was up.
    I was trying to find when the contract was actually up and found this article from 2005...[but no acticle of the Reds and WLW extending the contract or if the contract ends after the WS]:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...28/story1.html

Reds could hear new media pitch
    Radio, other deals could be on table
    Business Courier of Cincinnati - November 25, 2005
    by Dan MonkSenior Staff Reporter

A player to be named later in the Cincinnati Reds' new ownership group could help baseball's oldest franchise lock in future profits with a savvy new media strategy.

Robert Lawrence is a former Taft Broadcasting executive who helped the St. Louis Cardinals team this year buy its own radio station. Now, the Indian Hill resident is said to be pursuing a similar deal for the Reds on behalf of his friend and soon-to-be controlling owner, Robert Castellini.

Lawrence won't discuss his plans, except to say, "It's every kid's dream to be part of a Major League baseball team."

Castellini, through a spokesman, also declined comment on whether Lawrence will join the Reds investment group.

On Nov. 2, Castellini announced plans to buy a controlling interest in the Reds from Cincinnati financier Carl Lindner Jr. Terms of the deal weren't announced but are based on a franchise value for the Reds of $270 million. Castellini is joined in the deal by Thomas and W. Joseph Williams, the son and nephew of former Reds owner William J. Williams. Other investors are expected to join the Castellini group but so far have not been identified.

Local media observers speculate that Lawrence will join the ownership group with the goal of revamping the team's approach to media and marketing,

"He's a creative genius," said Rob Riggsbee, owner of Inside Media, a Newtown-based media-buying consultant. "He knows sports marketing better than anybody. I believe big changes will come."

Lawrence is a local media investor who built a fortune while merging local radio stations over a two-decade span that ended with Clear Channel Communications Inc. as the dominant player in the Cincinnati market.

A few months ago, Lawrence put together a deal in which the Cardinals bought a 50 percent stake in a St. Louis radio station, KTRS-AM 550. As part of the deal, the Cardinals signed an eight-year contract to broadcast Cardinals games. The move was controversial in St. Louis, where Cardinals games had been broadcast on KMOX-AM 1120 for more than 50 years. The relationship had become part of the cultural fabric of St. Louis and produced some of baseball's best play callers: Jack Buck, Harry Caray and Bob Costas among them.

The Reds' ties to WLW date back to 1969 and also have featured some of the game's great broadcasters, including Waite Hoyt, Marty Brennaman and Al Michaels. The team's contract with WLW expires in 2007. The relationship has been strained in recent years, first when Major League Baseball signed a national distribution deal last fall with XM Satellite Radio. More recently, the Reds this year angered WLW's parent, Clear Channel Cincinnati, when it hired away one of WLW's top sales executives, Dave Collins.

2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Those who do have no one to blame but themselves...

That's interesting Kitty.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think a new contract is in the works, or done.

I think.

I don't know for sure because nobody tells me anything

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Those who do have no one to blame but themselves...
    Exactamundo!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Likely a publicity ploy for his upcoming syndication. Cunningham is hoping for some national attention.

The proper response is don't listen, just ignore it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    there are people that do.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?