Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Joey Votto Thread

Re: The Joey Votto Thread

This team has a lot of pieces in place to be a very good team in the next few years. Now if only the pitching problem could be solved.

I've never been one to advocate wild spending, but Castellini may just have to open the checkbook for another $15-20 million next year and bring in the pitching that this team needs to be division champs next year. It IS possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    This team has a lot of pieces in place to be a very good team in the next few years. Now if only the pitching problem could be solved.

I've never been one to advocate wild spending, but Castellini may just have to open the checkbook for another $15-20 million next year and bring in the pitching that this team needs to be division champs next year. It IS possible.
    Its always possible. Castillini knows that this team is good enough to win if he invests just a little more. He needs to back up his promise, and put in the money for Silva, and a reliever. I like Gagne, but I don't think he would come here.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I detest re-hashing, but simple truth is this guy shoulda' been here in August, to get him ready for next year. We kept hearing about his poor defense, but a 1st baseman as the swing man in a double play isn't common, in his 1st major league start no less. I have been a Krivsky fan, but the delay on bringing this guy up to season him for the future on a team going nowhere really confounds me. He is a hitter, period. No dis-respect to Hatteberg, but Votto is expected to be the future. Might as well start getting him prepared. September is Okay, but adding in August would have been better.

P.S.
    Girardi would be a poor choice. No facial hair allowed, hair cuts for all. Sounds like High School in the 60's. What's does that have to do with a player's performance?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowboy View Post
    I know its early but where would we be with Joey Votto in the lineup alot sooner than now? I had to ask..
    5th place. Our problem was never hitting the ball. . . it was and always will be pitching and specifically bullpen help.

Situational hitting could improve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    5th place. Our problem was never hitting the ball. . . it was and always will be pitching and specifically bullpen help.

Situational hitting could improve as well.
    If Votto could have come up earlier in the year, and performed well we could have traded Hatteberg, and Conine for some pitching. Just a thought.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    If Votto could have come up earlier in the year, and performed well we could have traded Hatteberg, and Conine for some pitching. Just a thought.
    I understand that argument to a certain degree but it's not like we would've gotten a pitcher who would've made a difference on our team. Hatteberg and Conine aren't THAT good. We've seen Joey play exactly 1 game. . let's not carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    A statement like that is so easy to throw up on the board and act like it is gospel...give me a few names you really think Hatte/and or Conine would net in terms of pitching help.

Hatt/Conine for pitching? please name a pitcher you could get in return for either or both of them thats worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    Hatt/Conine for pitching? please name a pitcher you could get in return for either or both of them thats worth anything.
    Exactly.

Hatte and Conine would not have netted any quality pitching. Although, didn't Conine net Maloney? Or am I confused?

Anyway..........I said 3 weeks ago that Votto should come up in early August to give them 2 months to evaluate him to determine if he's the answer at 1st base next season.

I am a big Wayne Krivsky fan. I think his strong point is making quality trades and acquiring players that once had promise but maybe hit a snag. We've gotten Phillips and others that way. I also think there's something to be said in acquiring players that are 25-27 years old that are still producing in the minors. Alot of teams give up on these guys while looking to catch the phenom's that are ready at 21 to 23 years old. Meanwhile, you nab the Keppinger's and Coats (remains to be seen, but a .300 hitter in the minors).

What I don't like about Wayne is his reluctance, when this team is clearly out of it, to bring up the young guys and let them take their learning lumps. There is absolutely no reason Jay Bruce, Cueto, and Votto should have been up here 3-4 weeks ago. No reason at all. Even Maloney should be up here. These 4 guys are probably the cornerstone's of our minor leagues right now and our future.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post

There isn't much quality starting pitching on the free agent market. Hopefully he can sign Silva. I would not mind Gagne at all. Add him to Weathers, Burton, Bray, etc......and we would have a quality bullpen.

I think Wayne is going to save a decent amount of money by replacing the veteran utility players with younger more productive players like Keppinger, etc. He'll get rid of Freel and Castro, and others.

Signing Silva would basically be replacing Milton with an average starter, for hopefully less money.

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    i hope that isn't a knock on adam dunns inability to make correct contact with the bases
    It was not. I respect what Adam Dunn does for the team. I am just glad that Joey seems to be a disciplined hitter.

The pitch he crushed out was a low and inside breaking ball, the other single he hit was high... Let's see what he can do with some strike pitches.

Votto's gonna be a good hitter folks.
    Last edited by jhiller21; 09-06-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Hatte and Conine would not have netted any quality pitching. Although, didn't Conine net Maloney? Or am I confused?
    Kyle Lohse was for Maloney.

Conine brought a couple of Mets bottom-barrel prospects.

Turn Off Ads?