Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Joey Votto Thread

Re: The Joey Votto Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    .....another in a long line of help coming from our minors.........Hopper, Keppinger, Cantu..........VOTTO............just think where we'd be if only brought up Jay Bruce!
    I don't think Votto should be included with that class. Votto has more potential to be a major contributer than any of those guys. Kepp and Cantu can be good players. Hopper is hopper. But Votto could be a big time player for years to come.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would like to see Votto get all the AB against RHP at first base the rest of the year, and Cantu play against most leftys. I would also like to see Votto hit against some LHP to see how he handles LHP. I like Hatteberg, but I don't want him to start again the rest of the year. A Votto- Cantu platoon would be a good idea.

The Reds should actively shop Votto for pitching or a right handed bat this off season.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The Reds should actively shop Votto for pitching or a right handed bat this off season.
    The reds should keep Votto to replace some of the power that they lose when they don't pick up Dunn's option. I don't think that Krivsky would if he had all of the say. To tell you the truth 30 HRs 85 RBI at 300,000 looks better to me than 40-45 HRs 95-100 RBI at 13,000,000. Especially when you would lose no defense at the position and can use that cash to sign a great reliever and a decent #3 starter. I play Votto in Left next year is Dunn doesn't sign a reasonable contract in the offseason. We can't afford 13,000,000 when we have Griffey, Hamilton a few other OK guys and Bruce on the way when we could fill Votto into the same position. Offense is not a problem. We need pitching now.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    The reds should keep Votto to replace some of the power that they lose when they don't pick up Dunn's option. I don't think that Krivsky would if he had all of the say. To tell you the truth 30 HRs 85 RBI at 300,000 looks better to me than 40-45 HRs 95-100 RBI at 13,000,000. Especially when you would lose no defense at the position and can use that cash to sign a great reliever and a decent #3 starter. I play Votto in Left next year is Dunn doesn't sign a reasonable contract in the offseason. We can't afford 13,000,000 when we have Griffey, Hamilton a few other OK guys and Bruce on the way when we could fill Votto into the same position. Offense is not a problem. We need pitching now.
    I agree, but if they pick up the option then deal Votto for pitching or a right handed bat.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

Who said they weren't picking up Dunn's option?

I have seen threads that suggested a Edwin and Votto trade to the Twins for Matt Garza. I would absolutely hate to trade Votto, but it would be something to consider if we could get a good starting pitcher by trading the both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I have seen threads that suggested a Edwin and Votto trade to the Twins for Matt Garza. I would absolutely hate to trade Votto, but it would be something to consider if we could get a good starting pitcher by trading the both of them.
    I'd trade EE but Votto is worth about 10 times to me right now what Dunn is worth. Dunn will make WAY TOO MUCH over the next 5-6 years for a team with our money situation to afford. Votto will make 500,000 or less for at least the 2008 and 2009 seasons and possibly the 2010 season as well. Votto is no sure thing but he'll probably give you 70-75% of what Dunn will and he costs about 3% as much. You don't just trade Votto. You dump Dunn for 2 end of the 1st rd picks if you have to. Ideally you trade Dunn for a decent young pitcher but you can't pay two outfielders 13 and 14 million (even though Jr gets alot later you still have to pay it.) That is what a mentally handicapped baboon would do in our market. You basially guarantee yourself to have no chance. Around 40% of your payroll in 2 highly imperfect players (one of them wa over the hill and the other a very good but also very flawed awful defensive, strikeout machine.) You must get rid of one of them in the offseason. Votto, Hamilton and one of Griffey or Dunn starting in the outfield next year is the only logical move. Votto can move to 1b when Hatteburg's play drops off, Cantu proves himself inable or when Bruce and Stubbs are both up. Votto would have to play at least 2 years in the O field because I would also drop whichever of Griffey and Dunn stays after next year.

On a further note I am convinced that Krivsky will drop Dunn and that is why he picked up Cantu. He wants a platoon of Cantu and Hatteburg at 1st and Votto Hamilton and Griffey in the Outfield. Griffey break 600 next year and you trade him midseason for pitching and bring up Bruce to start in right. You have to take chances to have a chance and this is the kind of chance that can pay off. If we are to win a WS it will be with young stars ala Florida Marlins and not an overpayed Yankees lineup. Votto and Bruce have the POTENTIAL (I understand the meaning of this word) to replace Griffey and DUnn's #s at SEVERAL % of the cost all the while freeing up money to be spent where it is DESPERATELY needed. On pitching. I know that the free agent pitching market is barren but maybe midseason next year we trade for a high priced guy that has 1 1/2 years on his contract. We just need to give ourselves a CHANCE to win. Our rotation and bullpen will not give us that next year.

Just for fun, after his 1st inning double tonight Votto's OPS is

According to this board, after 3 games, Votto is the second coming of Alex Rodriguez.

I like what I'm seeing, but be realistic. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    According to this board, after 3 games, Votto is the second coming of Alex Rodriguez.

I like what I'm seeing, but be realistic. Sheesh.
    Anyone who thinks he is the next A-Rod is a tard. I'm thinking the next Willie McCovey

This guy is good. I do think he earned his promotion, and will earn his playing time. I like what I have seen. I don't think he will be the next Prince Fielder. I do think he could be the next Shea Hillenbrand though. I have no problem with that.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

On a further note I am convinced that Krivsky will drop Dunn and that is why he picked up Cantu. He wants a platoon of Cantu and Hatteburg at 1st and Votto Hamilton and Griffey in the Outfield. Griffey break 600 next year and you trade him midseason for pitching and bring up Bruce to start in right. You have to take chances to have a chance and this is the kind of chance that can pay off. If we are to win a WS it will be with young stars ala Florida Marlins and not an overpayed Yankees lineup. Votto and Bruce have the POTENTIAL (I understand the meaning of this word) to replace Griffey and DUnn's #s at SEVERAL % of the cost all the while freeing up money to be spent where it is DESPERATELY needed. On pitching. I know that the free agent pitching market is barren but maybe midseason next year we trade for a high priced guy that has 1 1/2 years on his contract. We just need to give ourselves a CHANCE to win. Our rotation and bullpen will not give us that next year.
    Why not pick up Dunn's option? Nevermind I got it. Then we can place Votto in LF and keep Hatteburg and Jorge Cantu at a premier offensive position that doesn't need the defense... great one

If anything after the temporary no trade clause expires in Dunn's contract we could see his and/or Griffey moved for pitching and prospects allowing Hamilton in left Bruce in right and freel/hopper in center. But to simply drop dunn would be the most idiotic move that Krivsky has ever made. And this is the guy who signed Stanton to a 2 year contract with a club option for 3...

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

and speaking of potential I know everyone on this board is high on Joey V at the moment but now is when you trade young prospects not named Jay F'ing Bruce. Joey V and EE for Matt Garza would never fly for the twins btw. It would take a Cueto and EE to make that one work, if not more...

Turn Off Ads?