Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Joey Votto Thread

Re: The Joey Votto Thread

3 for 4 today with a 2 RBI double today. He is looking very impressive in the month of September.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 09-13-2007 at 02:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    All this about Griffey and Dunn is very interesting, but is not really relevant to this thread unless Griffey or Dunn is traded and Joey Votto has to move to the outfield.

Yes but....

The finances play a part in whether somebody else gets traded or their option declined which then may impact on which position Joey plays in the future. He looks to be a compotent 1st baseman; but could he become the 2nd coming of Adam Dunn (good and bad) if he gets shuffled off to left?

One more bit on the money stuff. At least during the Lindner regime, we were told that the Reds annually budgeted for the total amount of the Griffey Jr salary including the deferred. Supposedly enough was being set aside into an anuity each year to pay off the deferred portion for that year as and when it became due. So if they did the math right; and managed the investments well, all the talk over the deferred load coming up relating to Griffey Jr should be a mute point.

I frequently heard in the Minor League Report that Votto was worse in left field than Dunn. Hard to believe, but I think the Reds would be best served by playing Votto at first base.

Votto has really impressed so far this year I'm looking forward to see what he can do with a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I frequently heard in the Minor League Report that Votto was worse in left field than Dunn. Hard to believe, but I think the Reds would be best served by playing Votto at first base.
    I saw Votto play left a few times in the minors and he plays it much better than Dunn IMO.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I saw Votto play left a few times in the minors and he plays it much better than Dunn IMO.
    I saw Joey Votto play 1B and hit in the Majors a few times. He does both MUCH better than Scott Hatteberg IMO, also at about 1/6th the cost...

Why not play Votto at 1B and keep Dunn in LF? Just a thought!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I saw Joey Votto play 1B and hit in the Majors a few times. He does both MUCH better than Scott Hatteberg IMO, also at about 1/6th the cost...

Why not play Votto at 1B and keep Dunn in LF? Just a thought!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I got no beef with that for next year, I was just saying that IMO he is on par with Dunn in left.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I got no beef with that for next year, I was just saying that IMO he is on par with Dunn in left.
    I think I'm on par with Dunn in left. At the plate? Not so much.

Not saying you're making the argument, just took your quote and made it mine!

Hatteberg, Conine, Griffey in 2009, these are the guys you part with. Votto, Jay Bruce, Adam Dunn at 27 - these are the guys you build around to make a young, powerful, relatively inexpensive (minus Dunn, who is a bargain at $13M per).

The current lineup we've been trotting out lately REALLY has me happy for the future:

Hamilton/Hopper
    Kepp/Gonzo
    Griff
    BP
    Dunn
    EE
    Votto
    Catcher Du Jour

That lineup is between $25-$30M depending upon the Catcher/SS combo - from now until 2009.
    In 2009 replace Junior with Bruce, and even if BP garners $4-5M in Arbitration, and Dunn at $15M per, and you're only looking at about $29M tops in 2009.

BP, Gonzo, Dunn, Harang, and Arroyo are the only guys at $4M+. That's a lot of young cheap talent out there. Leaves some room for going after a #3/#2 SP in 2008 FA.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Fact is, all the cosmic garbage management gave us regarding Votto. "Oh, his defense sucks. He's not ready". What a load of----
    This guy was ready to play in the Bigs out of Spring Training. I spend significant time every March at spring training, and he showed then he had nothing left to prove. I believe managment under-estimated where he was, signing Hatteberg---(no slouch there, agreed). This guy is the 1st baseman next year, period. He will be one of several cornerstones of what can be a great franchise if they can only find some pitching. Providing Hamilton can be healthy, + Phillips, Burton, Keppinger, Hopper, and Coutlangus, with Bruce, Dorn, Bailey, Cueto on the verge, and a whole bunch-Valaika, Maloney, Stubbs, Francisco, Turner, Waring, Bartles,-- all 1-3 years out, the future certainly looks encouraging.

Most of us are convinced he should be the starting first baseman next year. Reds management still needs to be convinced. Hopefully Joey's performance in September will convince any doubters in Reds management.

I had not done any updates for a while so here is one: He has now had 41 AB,5 runs, 15 hits, 4 doubles, 0 triples, 2HR, 9rbi, 25 total bases, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts, 1 stolen base, a .435 OBP, .610 slugging, and a .366 BA. What does all this mean? Hard to say. It is a very small sample size, but it is good to see him doing well so far in the month of September.

Notes: Votto proves his skills in 2007
    Rookie will compete for starting first base job next spring
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Joey Votto didn't need a solid September to prove he belonged with the Reds.

Votto already knew. That's not him being cocky or arrogant -- just confident. The 24-year-old never seemed intimidated by the Major Leagues, not even for a nanosecond.

"I thought I was ready for this for a while," said Votto, who was called up for the first time on Sept. 4. "I still think I'm ready for this. I will continue to get my work in every day and do what I know I can do. I'm not surprised in the least with what I'm doing, honestly. Whether or not I've succeeded beyond people's expectations, is their opinion. I don't think I'm playing anywhere near different than what I can play."

Votto entered the day batting .329 (25-for-76) with three home runs, 12 RBIs and a .526 slugging percentage in 22 games. He started his fifth game in left field on Saturday vs. the Cubs and has 15 starts at his natural position -- first base.

"Very well," interim manager Pete Mackanin said when asked for his evaluation of Votto's month. "When he first got here he said, 'I'm' just going to keep my mouth shut and ears open.' That's exactly what he's done. He's done his work. He's been very professional and I think he's made a very good impression -- at least on me. I think he's got a future."

One of the Reds' top position prospects, Votto batted .292 with 22 homers, 92 RBIs and 17 stolen bases this season at Triple-A Louisville.

"He's very confident in his ability and it shows," Mackanin said. "It's an important ingredient to succeed at this level. You have to believe you can succeed at this level and that you belong here. I think he's starting to feel he belongs here."

Votto felt that his first big league exposure helped him see a little bit of everything.

"I've faced some of the tougher pitchers in the league," said Votto, a Toronto native. "I played in atmospheres that aren't necessarily playoff or us leading the division atmospheres, but we played against people that every game mattered to them. To be in that atmosphere in the big leagues against the division leaders is important."

Votto's ascension has increased the likelihood that veteran first baseman Scott Hatteberg's $1.85 club option for 2008 won't be picked up. That should put Votto on the inside track for the everyday first base job next spring.

"I've come to expect to be a Major Leaguer," Votto said. "I don't think there's a guy in this room that thinks otherwise. I think I'm going to come to Spring Training next year expecting to earn a job.

Mark Sheldon seems to think Hatteberg will not have his option picked up, so it would seem the first baseman's job is Votto's to lose.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Fact is, all the cosmic garbage management gave us regarding Votto. "Oh, his defense sucks. He's not ready". What a load of----
    This guy was ready to play in the Bigs out of Spring Training. I spend significant time every March at spring training, and he showed then he had nothing left to prove.
    You simply just don't know that, yet try to pawn it off as Gospel-truth. Maybe Votto really was inadequate defensively. So inadequate, in fact, he had to stay down in AAA to work on his footwork, or being able to pick errant throws, etc. despite putting up solid numbers at the plate. Maybe they made sure he improved dramatically throughout the year before they called him up, so that when he did hit the big show he's the polished product we're currently seeing rather than a raw talent that still needs work. IIRC, Even Thom Brenneman and Jeff Brantley noted in Spring Training that while Votto could hit, he still needed work on his defense. Sound familiar?

Unless you're a Reds scout with information from coaches and player development personnel, then saying "What a load of---" is pure conjecture on your part, and doesn't hold much water, IMO.

As for Votto, congrats to him on a fine first month in the bigs. He's no doubt a legitimate contender for ROY next year, but he may have to fight it out with his own teammate (Bruce) for the award.

Amusing. Joey Votto is one of the top performers on ESPN's MLB website with a "No Photo Available".
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

I wasn't overly impressed when I saw Joey Votto at Spring Training this past year. I thought he looked a little overmatched. I didn't see anything too bad about his defense. I think the extra seasoning he got in the minors this year helped to better prepare him for his callup. I think that he seems like a very intelligent young man, and I hope he does well down the road.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?