Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Fantasy Football Advice

My Fantasy Football Advice

Don't draft Peyton Manning before the third round.

Yeah, he's the best quarterback, but if your league's playoffs are played in the last two or three weeks of the regular season, there's a good chance Manning will be riding the pine so he's healthy for the NFL playoffs. Feel free to use this thread to disagree with me or add your own fantasy football advice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Fantasy Football Advice

Go ahead and get Manning if he's available after the top tier RBs. Just make sure your backup QB is on a team that will be fighting for a playoff spot. Remember, your competition in the fantasy playoffs also has to deal with his best players sitting out the last two games of the season.

Other advice:

Running Backs and Wide Receivers - get at least 4 starters at each position. Get 3 RBs and 2 WRs before you even think about a TE or a QB other than Manning, Palmer, Brady, or Brees.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I almost always pick my Team D and kicker with my last two picks.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I almost always pick my Team D and kicker with my last two picks.
    Kicker, I'm the same. Defense though, I like to try to get Baltimore's around round 5 6 or 7(if I'm lucky). In most standard setups, Balt. D scores well over 200 points a year, which is more than you'll get from RB's or WR's in those same rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Kicker, I'm the same. Defense though, I like to try to get Baltimore's around round 5 6 or 7(if I'm lucky). In most standard setups, Balt. D scores well over 200 points a year, which is more than you'll get from RB's or WR's in those same rounds.
    I've had a lot of success rotating defenses by matchup if I don't get what turns out to be a great defense.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    It seems like someone in my league always reaches and takes Chicago and Baltimore early in the 5th round. I'm getting my 3rd wideout in those rounds, and he'll likely be more valuable.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

uoduck1017

Draft RB RB in the first two rounds. The dropoff in talent from top-tier running backs to bottom-tier runners is significant. A team with two great RB's will usually do well against a team with one great RB and a pretty good WR or QB. A lot of drafters are eager to pick up defenses if a D run occurs, or kickers if a kicker run occurs. However, like Johnny said, get that 3rd wide receiver or 3rd running back because those other teams will soon be scouring the waiver wire for below-average backups at cruicial positions.

I traditionally get a running back first, then a qb. Then I get another running back. After that is just mundane details.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

3 Time CY Young winner

I have 2 questions. Should I:
    A: Play Balt.defense against Bengals or Dallas Defense against NYG.
    B: Play Cadillac Williams against Seahawks or Calvin Johnson against raiders? The rest of my team is set for this week but I keep going back and forth on this. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roundboy22 View Post
    B: Play Cadillac Williams against Seahawks or Calvin Johnson against raiders? The rest of my team is set for this week but I keep going back and forth on this. thanks
    I would play the Baltimore defense. Rudi was terrible last year. Levi is partially hurt. Willie is always hurt. I would play Calvin against the Raiders because the Lions main running back Kevin Jones is hurt. I know that his backup who's name is not coming to me right now had a good showing in the preseason and training camp. I just think they will be forced to pass more.

Its not a good week to start Kitna. When he forces throws things can get ugly.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roundboy22 View Post
    A: This one is really tough. I like both D's a lot and both are going against good offenses. Flip a coin?

B: Another tough call. I'd go with Cadillac though. The Oakland secondary is extremely underrated and I've heard that Calvin won't be starting, but Mike Furrey will be instead. That doesn't mean he won't see the field though.

Cadillac. The Raiders have an excellent defense, and Johnson is a rookie playing his first game.

3 Time CY Young winner

Thanks for everyones help.

While it is good to have a strategy, dont stick to it. The best drafters alter their strategy based on other drafters and best overall talent. While it is easy to say go RB-RB as almost everyone does, Why take a Ahman green or cadillac williams in round 2 just so you can get 2 backs (if drafting in the back end) get an elite wideout rather than a 2nd tier runner, you can grab them with your comeback pick. Dont fall into the "run" traps, if everyone is going all backs in rounds 1-2 take someone who is clearly above the rest of their part. position. Sticking to your guns will only leave you with middle talent across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    While it is good to have a strategy, dont stick to it. The best drafters alter their strategy based on other drafters and best overall talent. While it is easy to say go RB-RB as almost everyone does, Why take a Ahman green or cadillac williams in round 2 just so you can get 2 backs (if drafting in the back end) get an elite wideout rather than a 2nd tier runner, you can grab them with your comeback pick. Dont fall into the "run" traps, if everyone is going all backs in rounds 1-2 take someone who is clearly above the rest of their part. position. Sticking to your guns will only leave you with middle talent across the board.
    The RB-RB strategy actually involves trying to get a top-tier RB and a good 2nd-tier RB. It's harder to find 2 quality RBs than 2 quality WRs, so you should grab 2 good RBs if they are available.

You're right, though. You shouldn't reach for a guy like Ahman Green or Julius Jones just to get 2 RBs.

Turn Off Ads?