Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 9/5/07 - Reds vs Mets Game Thread

Re: 9/5/07 - Reds vs Mets Game Thread

Found this on MLB.com about Votto's spot in the batting order:

Votto starts: As expected, rookie first baseman Joey Votto got his first big league start Wednesday vs. the Mets. Perhaps a little unexpectedly, Votto was put in the eighth spot on the lineup card. When's the last time that happened to the 23-year-old?

"Maybe in an instructional league game, I can't remember," Votto said. "I'm not complaining."

Votto, the Reds' top position prospect, had 22 homers and 92 RBIs for Triple-A Louisville this season before becoming a long-anticipated September callup.

"I'm an old-school guy," Mackanin said. "When you first break into the big leagues, you're a No. 8 hitter. You have to know how to bunt and do all those little things, gradually work your way into it. I hope he does well and I can move him up in the order.

"If you put a guy, say Votto, in the cleanup spot and say 'OK kid, go ahead and do it,' that's a lot of pressure.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Stanton has a real shot to get the ERA under 6 before the season. Money well spent. Sign him up for next year.

Too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Stanton has a real shot to get the ERA under 6 before the season. Money well spent. Sign him up for next year.
    2019 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-12 FINAL
    2019 Dragons record when I'm attending:1-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I guess Jay Bruce will be hitting 8th on opening day next year.

Wayne has already seen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Wayne has already seen to that.
    sometimes the sarcasm just can't be helped
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

"I'm an old-school guy," Mackanin said. "When you first break into the big leagues, you're a No. 8 hitter. You have to know how to bunt and do all those little things, gradually work your way into it. I hope he does well and I can move him up in the order.
    That's the bizarro world that bats Gonzo 2nd and Votto 8th.

TRADITION!!!
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

What was the final, 7-0?

sometimes the sarcasm just can't be helped
    I know. The Reds make it so easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What was the final, 7-0?
    Yes

Well, I took it on the chin on my fantasy team with Maine, but I picked up Joey Votto when he got called up and had him in the game, so I'm hoping I offset Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    Another example of a reason to say, "Thanks, Pete. We're going to go in another direction."
    I don't think RZ would be happy if Jesus Christ himself was the Reds manager. I can just hear it now. "Yeah, JC's OK but he just isn't fiery enough. I wish he'd break the water cooler when guys strike out. Plus he's always turning the other cheek when other teams throw bean balls at us"

Honestly, what other direction do you think they'll go? They may well replace Mackanin but if people around here think that they'll be happy with most of the moves the new manager makes they're going to be sorely disappointed. 95% of all managers are cut from the same cloth.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

From C. Trent:

POSTGAME: Votto: "Last night really relaxed me, I got that first at-bat out of the way and Mota was pretty nasty. After that at-bat was gone, I felt like I was part of the game. Not that it wasnít any other at-bat, but I had that approach."

Shearn: "Javy called a great game, hopefully he knew all the hitters, especially because his brothe rplays over there he should know them all. I just tried to throw what he called and hit the spots."

Mackanin: "First of all, I hope Joey Votto doesnít think itís going to be that easy. Well maybe it is going to be that easy, that would be nice."

Mackanin on Hamilton: "Josh has a little twinge in his hamstring, you saw when he caught that ball in centerfield. He caught it and hiccuped a little bit. I wanted tot take precautions, give him today and take tomorrow off. Hopefully heíll feel a lot better on Friday."

also make sure he doesn't see much to hit.
    Apparently he got lasik surgery before the game.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't think RZ would be happy if Jesus Christ himself was the Reds manager. I can just hear it now. "Yeah, JC's OK but he just isn't fiery enough. I wish he'd break the water cooler when guys strike out. Plus he's always turning the other cheek when other teams throw bean balls at us"

Honestly, what other direction do you think they'll go? They may well replace Mackanin but if people around here think that they'll be happy with most of the moves the new manager makes they're going to be sorely disappointed. 95% of all managers are cut from the same cloth.
    Yep.

And even if they got someone who was a visionary people would complain that the guy with the .387 OBP was hitting behind the guy with .382 OBP.

Besides, that Jesus guy smiles a lot and frowns on post bad performance freakouts.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?