Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce for Upton?

Bruce for Upton?

would you make this deal?

Only asking because it is a trade that makes some sense because the Snakes are a heavily RH hitting team with Byrnes, Jackson, Young and Upton.

I am sure the Snakes wouldn't bite but they do need to address the lack of LH power.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce for Upton?

And the Reds need to address their lack of RH power. That said, I still wouldn't make the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That said, I still wouldn't make the deal.
    why not?

Hometown favoritism I guess. Doug has said many times he thinks Bruce will be the better player in the long run. I don't know if that's true or not but his word is about all I have at this point. I don't know enough about Upton's "upside" to make an educated decision on it.

Who's considered to be the better defender?

Doug has said many times he thinks Bruce will be the better player in the long run. I don't know if that's true or not but his word is about all I have at this point. I don't know enough about Upton's "upside" to make an educated decision on it.

Who's considered to be the better defender?
    Upton is considered the player with the greater upside and is considered the better defender(and a true CF, he can fly). The one reason I like Upton better is the BB/K(which is a great predictor). Bruce's 47/135 ratio is still troubling although hopefully he will make great strides with it in AAA next year. The odds are that both will be huge impact players by their mid 20s.

That said, it is the kind of trade that won't happen because it would a really big pair to make a deal like that and most GMs are afflicted with a very small pair.

Arm's r about the same. Upton's Got more speed.
    Jay has a better Bat. IMO.

I just looked at Upton's numbers and he does appear to be better at taking walks and he strikes out a lot less. Bruce has more power though. Doesn't Bruce have the better arm while Upton has more range? I'd guess Bruce projects as an above average right fielder while Upton will be an above average center fielder. Is that about right?

I just looked at Upton's numbers and he does appear to be better at taking walks and he strikes out a lot less. Bruce has more power though. Doesn't Bruce have the better arm while Upton has more range? I'd guess Bruce projects as an above average right fielder while Upton will be an above average center fielder. Is that about right?
    From everything I have heard that's is correct.

I would seriously think about it. Need some RH'ers please.

Doesn't Bruce have the better arm while Upton has more range?
    if you saw the throw Upton made in the futures game you wouldn't worry about his arm, he has a cannon. I have never seen Bruce throw.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I would seriously think about it. Need some RH'ers please.
    it won't happen, there is too much risk for a GM. If you don't make the trade, there is no risk.

If Upton can truly be a top shelf flychaser in CF while providing an above average bat from the right side, I'd have to seriously consider it as well. I love Bruce but Upton would probably fill a greater need at the moment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay and Justin have about the same arm. Well above average, very accurate. Jay has a stronger bat as a hitter (although Upton takes a walk better, Jay is much better at hitting the ball), defensively scouts think Jay eventually moves to RF where he will be above average and they figure Upton will stay in CF. Upton has more speed, but Jay has plenty of speed for himself.

Personally, I wouldn't make the trade because in the end I think Bruce is the better hitter and the defensive difference is marginal, especially for the time being. Add in the fact that we brought the kid up and developed him and it just makes sense to keep him.

Ya can't teach speed...

Anyone know what Upton's makeup is? does he have an ego that could become inflated or is he as down to earth as JB seems to be. These two guys are such high caliber players, each in his own way it seems on the talent gauge you can't go wrong with either of them but the variable seems to be the player's make up. It sure seems that Jay Bruce is a special kind of player in that regard as well, just wonder how Upton measures up in that regard.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Anyone know what Upton's makeup is? does he have an ego that could become inflated or is he as down to earth as JB seems to be. These two guys are such high caliber players, each in his own way it seems on the talent gauge you can't go wrong with either of them but the variable seems to be the player's make up. It sure seems that Jay Bruce is a special kind of player in that regard as well, just wonder how Upton measures up in that regard.
    I can't really comment on Upton, but I just wanted to chime in with Jay for this one. I met him back when he was playing in Dayton, and the kid was about as down to Earth as he possibly could be. Everytime I read something he says, or something he has done off the field, its always the right thing.

Turn Off Ads?