Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BA Hot Sheet year end

BA Hot Sheet year end

1. Jay Bruce, Triple-A Louisville (Reds)

Rumor has it Bruce is our 2007 Minor League Player of the Year, but we'll never tell.

Well, at least not until Friday. Bruce started the season in high Class A, spent just two weeks in Double-A and finished it in the International League. Who cares if he wasn't called up? Bruce finished second in the minors to high Class A Lancaster's Zach Daeges in extra-base hits with 80. We should point out that Daeges spent all year in the hitter-friendly California League and is three years older than Bruce . . .

The 20-year-old Bruce finished the year at Louisville despite the Reds originally envisioning his promotion to Triple-A to be brief. Bruce also garners constant comparisons to Larry Walker, which he automatically deflects.

"If you don't pan out to be Larry Walker, then everyone was wrong," Bruce said. "If I'm a totally different player, everyone was wrong. Larry Walker was one of the best players of his time--great player, does it all. There's not too many players out there like that, so just to be mentioned in the same breath, same sentence and to be even closely compared to him at all is an honor.

"But you have to take it for what it's worth and I have to be Jay Bruce. There are definitely things I need to work on if I'm going to be a productive major league player."

One of those things is cutting down the strikeouts. Bruce whiffed 135 times over three levels this season after striking out 106 times in the Midwest League last year.

"That's just not acceptable for me," Bruce said. "I had 106 last year, but that was in a lot more at-bats. But this year had been a little different in regards to moving around so much and having to make adjustments. There's a learning curve, but I don't want to be a guy who strikes out a lot--even if I'm a 'power' guy. As I play more, I think it's going to get better."

In 187 Triple-A at-bats, Bruce batted .305/.358/.567 with 11 homers for the Bats.

I just like this guy.
    "Pitching is the art of instilling fear."
    Sandy Koufax

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: BA Hot Sheet year end

I'm still in disbelief -- there's no way we've got a guy this good, this young, with his head on so straight.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Rick, I don't hate to tell you this, but yes, we do have that guy

where's Johnny?
    Go BLUE!!!

He was also the 12th pick, that was just a great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    where's Johnny?
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeres Johnny!

Wow, sorry, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind.

It should be noted that two Red Sox first-rounders -- Craig Hansen and Daniel Bard, both bat-missing college pitchers -- were among those listed as having the worst years. Ditto for ultra-selective "polished" hitter Matt Sulentic, taken last year in the first round by Oakland.

Goes to show you -- no ideology or organization has the baseball draft all figured out.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I don't get the Walker comparisons. Jay is more a free swinger that makes good contact. Walker was a control hitter.

Did any of you guys catch his interview on FSN when he was first drafted? He was a very respectable guy. I like to see that we have young guys that know where they came from. Good luck to this kid.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It should be noted that two Red Sox first-rounders -- Craig Hansen and Daniel Bard, both bat-missing college pitchers -- were among those listed as having the worst years. Ditto for ultra-selective "polished" hitter Matt Sulentic, taken last year in the first round by Oakland.

Goes to show you -- no ideology or organization has the baseball draft all figured out.
    and where are they now?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I don't get the Walker comparisons. Jay is more a free swinger that makes good contact. Walker was a control hitter.
    Walker had under 50 walks and over 95 strikeouts in his first 3 full seasons at the age of 23-25. He was a free swinger the first few years in the majors.... then he turned into what you remember him as.

I don't get the comparisons, either. Bruce isn't a high average hitter, which Walker was.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I don't get the comparisons, either. Bruce isn't a high average hitter, which Walker was.
    Umm, Jay Bruce hit .320 this season.

I hope he'll never be anything like Larry Walker. The guy could rarely play 3/4th's of a season ever.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I hope he'll never be anything like Larry Walker. The guy could rarely play 3/4th's of a season ever.
    Larry Walker was a MVP type hitters for many years. Yeah, he got hurt a lot but he was a great player. If Jay Bruce hits anything like Walker he will win some MVP awards for the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?