Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BA Hot Sheet year end

Re: BA Hot Sheet year end

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    i hope you noted my sarcasm
    you forgot the [/sarcasm], so I missed it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    you forgot the [/sarcasm], so I missed it.
    Sorry, thought I was being blatently ridiculous....but I guess you can't take anything for granted around here.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Sorry, thought I was being blatently ridiculous....but I guess you can't take anything for granted around here.
    With some of the things I have read lately, I guess I just expected someone to be serious with a ridiculous comment....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Larry Walker hit .223, .289, .283, .287 and .270 from the age of 18 until the age of 22 in the minor leagues. He also didn't reach AAA until the age of 22.
    Let's be honest- that's because Larry Walker missed his age-21 season in the minors. Dunno what that issue was (I'll assume it was injury), but he didn't possibly have the chance to face AAA pitching at that age.

Last season, you asked me what I thought about Delmon Young after I spoke quite a bit about Isolated Discipline (IsoD). IIRC, I noted that I didn't project Young very well due to his low IsoD, even though he had solid skills. Well, take a look at Young's performance this year.

Larry Walker's IsoD through his formative years was around 100 points. That's something Bruce doesn't have. That doesn't mean that Bruce can't succeed at the MLB level with his skill set. But I'd suggest that it might be tougher than we think for Bruce to hit the MLB ground running regardless of how good he's been at the minor league level at a young age. Even Prince Fielder took two years of practice at the MLB level to turn a high IsoD, high IsoP skill set into demonstrative results at a young age.

I'm not trying throw cold water on the potential exhibited by Jay Bruce. I hope he's a younger Ryan Braun version 2.0, but I'd suggest that kind of expectation might be unreasonable.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Let's be honest- that's because Larry Walker missed his age-21 season in the minors. Dunno what that issue was (I'll assume it was injury), but he didn't possibly have the chance to face AAA pitching at that age.
    He still hit .287 in AA at age 20. Not that it is bad to hit that at all, but its not really what the guy was making it out to be 'Walker-like' with the .350-.360 batting average he thinks someone being compared to Larry Walker should have.

Last season, you asked me what I thought about Delmon Young after I spoke quite a bit about Isolated Discipline (IsoD). IIRC, I noted that I didn't project Young very well due to his low IsoD, even though he had solid skills. Well, take a look at Young's performance this year.
    Its actually real interesting to look at Delmon Young this season... He has always been a free swinger, becuase he can honestly hit the ball wherever it is if his timing is right. Its a problem that he has right now, but I think its a problem he can get around with time as well. I am much more concerned with his disappearance of power in the second half (.134 first half isoP, .088 second half isoP thanks in part to 9 HR to 1 HR). His bb/k rate has gotten better in the second half though. Lets also not forget that he is just 21 years old.

I'm not trying throw cold water on the potential exhibited by Jay Bruce. I hope he's a younger Ryan Braun version 2.0, but I'd suggest that kind of expectation might be unreasonable.
    I really hope people don't expect Jay to go Ryan Braun next season. Do I think he is capable of doing it in his age 23 season? Its more likely, but I wouldn't count on him going nuts like Braun has, although if the Reds were to let Bruce bat in front of Griffey or Dunn it would likely help his chances. Braun gets to bat in front of Prince, and well he is getting pitches to hit becuase of it.

any Reds outfield that doesnt have Bruce and Hamilton in it would make me very unhappy.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

While the Larry Walker comparisons are coming hope, hopefully Jay Bruce isn't accused of taking steroids at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    While the Larry Walker comparisons are coming hope, hopefully Jay Bruce isn't accused of taking steroids at any point.
    Jay Bruce on roids. That would be awesome. He'd hit like .405 with like 55 homers.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?