Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Looking to see who can be centerfield

Man Pills

Re: Looking to see who can be centerfield

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Harang and Arroyo are signed through 2010 with an option for 2011. I think Homer can be an average pitcher next season and a very good one by 2009. Throw in Johnny Cueto and this team has the makings of a solid starting staff fairly soon.
    You realize that both Cueto and Bailey making a major impact on the starting rotation would be the equivalent of winning the PowerBall on consecutive days. Do you really think Arroyo's going to be any good in 2009 or 2010? I think the collapse begins next season. Too damn much mileage on a skinny frame.

The Reds need help from the outside in order to win under the Harang/Arroyo penumbra. It really is as simple as that. Without it, they will scuttle through 2010, whether or not Bailey turns into Clemens in 2009.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A Guttierrez and Lee package from Cleveland would be intriguing. I doubt they would take Jr and I'd want more than that for Dunn. Good thoughts though.

No interest is Sowers.
    No interest in Cliff Lee--unless we could get him for near league-minimum.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Meanwhile, the guy FCB proposed trading Homer Bailey for last season has a 6.45 ERA this year (Jason Jennings).

And is now a Free Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No interest in Cliff Lee--unless we could get him for near league-minimum.
    Lee has had an awful year and he is a fly ball guy. You may be right about him. I think I would only be after him straight up if the Indians would agree to take some pricey junk back (Freel, Stanton) off the Red's hands. But if taking him on could net a decent young player like Guttierrez, I'd chalk it up to the cost of acquiring talent. Meanwhile, he's another guy for the mix who has to be better than Dumatrait.

I suppose the problem with that type of thinking is that the Reds would stop there and view Lee as the answer and live or die with him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

You realize that both Cueto and Bailey making a major impact on the starting rotation would be the equivalent of winning the PowerBall on consecutive days. Do you really think Arroyo's going to be any good in 2009 or 2010? I think the collapse begins next season. Too damn much mileage on a skinny frame.

The Reds need help from the outside in order to win under the Harang/Arroyo penumbra. It really is as simple as that. Without it, they will scuttle through 2010, whether or not Bailey turns into Clemens in 2009.
    or a plan coming into frutition. The Reds are due for some impressive development out of young pitching, though Homer's may be emotional to a degree.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lee has had an awful year and he is a fly ball guy. You may be right about him. I think I would only be after him straight up if the Indians would agree to take some pricey junk back (Freel, Stanton) off the Red's hands. But if taking him on could net a decent young player like Guttierrez, I'd chalk it up to the cost of acquiring talent. Meanwhile, he's another guy for the mix who has to be better than Dumatrait.

I suppose the problem with that type of thinking is that the Reds would stop there and view Lee as the answer and live or die with him.
    I see what you're saying: if the price for getting a guy like Guttierez is to take on a stiff like Lee, I might be for it. Provided the Reds didn't have to send Cleveland back much in the way of prospects or talent.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    or a plan coming into frutition. The Reds are due for some impressive development out of young pitching, though Homer's may be emotional to a degree.
    The Reds' failure to develop starting pitchers has nothing to do with Fortune having it in for this organization--or a run of bad luck that's bound to end someday. The Reds' failure is a product of poor quality and awful development; an improvement in which remains very much to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Eric Davis would do nicely, but we'd need a time machine for that. Generally speaking, I like a CF who can play shallow with the legs to get into the gaps and back to the wall.
    Better replying late than never I suppose. The other players that I named earlier in the thread were off the top of my head and probably weren't good choices that might actually be available to the Reds, but this one might be. I give you Reggie Willits. His power numbers won't impress you no matter what metrics you use, so he's no Eric Davis. But, he's got wheels and I'd like to see how that switch hitting gap power translates at GABP, Wrigley, and Minute Maid.
    As a rule I don't worry about overpaying if it's a good player. No one ever taunts a team for paying too much for a guy who helps it win games on a regular basis. Obviously there's limits on the amount of overpayment, but usually if a guy plays well he doesn't seem all that overpaid after two or three years.
    I agree. It's just the limits of overpayment that concern me. In the end, it just depends on the player.
    Johan Santana is the best pitcher alive.
    Johan Santana scares me, alot. The little nicks and bangs over the years. I just have the feeling that something is going to go BANG in a big way with Santana and I don't know why. Some team is going to overpay for him next season. Be it a one year rental, or a long term deal, and that team will be screwed in the long term either way.
    I know EXACTLY how great Bruce is going to be. But I know how BADLY the Reds need pitching.
    I'd never, ever, trade a bat with that much potential for pitching. No matter how much my team needed pitching.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?