Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to see who can be centerfield

Re: Looking to see who can be centerfield

The full no-trade clause expires on June 15th. He still has a limited no-trade afterwards.

if club exercised 2008 option, Dunn receives full no-trade clause until 6/15/2008 & limited no-trade clause for the remainder of 2008 (allowing Dunn specify 10 clubs to which he would accept a trade)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dunn's no-trade only good through June 15th? A mid-season deal is still very possible, if not downright likely.
    true but not in the off-season. If he is goes during the season it is highly likely to be for prospects, it certainly won't be for an established player with upside.

After the 15th of June Dunn has a limited no-trade clause. If his agent makes the list properly Dunn will have the leverage to get what he wants if they try to deal him.
    Last edited by flyer85; 09-05-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    true but not in the off-season. If he is goes during the season it is highly likely to be for prospects, it certainly won't be for an established player with upside.
    Chances are that all any established player will fetch is a collection of prospects and unproven players. I give you some guaranteed today in return for some maybe tomorrow. Rarely do you see two teams with October aspirations (e.g. the Red Sox and Mets) swapping major league regulars.

If you're looking for a laundry list of potential targets for Dunn or Jr., here's one.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Which is why he's attainable. He's got an underrated skill set -- good D, .360ish OBA and first-to-third speed. Offensively, he's kind of the anti-Brandon Phillips.
    I think Dejesus is pretty much unobtainable because he's an above average center fielder (his down offensive year notwithstanding) playing for a rock bottom price. Nobody gives those away especially not a team like KC.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Exactly. The OF is already shaping up to be a logjam of Dunn'Griffey/Kearns/WMP proportions.

Though dealing Jr and adding Hunter would be phenomenal.
    Big offensive downgrade for marginal defensive upgrade?

Hunter isn't the CF he once was, but isn't quite to the stage KGJ's become. I just don't know if I shell out near KGJ money for a player that will only marginally improve the D while sacrificing the O.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think Dejesus is pretty much unobtainable because he's an above average center fielder (his down offensive year notwithstanding) playing for a rock bottom price. Nobody gives those away especially not a team like KC.
    He's making $2M this season and that's bound to shoot north of $3M next season. The Twins have Joey Gathright around and he's truly rock bottom in price. They've also got Mitch Maier in AAA and a kid they're supposedly high on in high A named Jose Duarte (looks like a slap hitter to me, but there's no accounting for taste).

I'm not 100% sure of what they'd be asking for, but I've got to figure that DeJesus can be had for a multitude of different offers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Anyone got some CF suggestions? Anyone?

I purposefully kept the list short.
    A quick look around the league and the following are the only guys I'd want manning CF. Obtaining them is a separate issue altogether....

Beltran
    Ellsbury
    Granderson
    Hamilton, Josh (Hey, we already have him!)
    Jones, Adam
    Pence
    Pie
    Sizemore
    Suzuki
    Upton
    Wells

That's my list. Feel free to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

It would take some value to get him but I think he's obtainable. He's not the kind of guy you build around, KC's gotta be aiming for power bats and power arms.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Big offensive downgrade for marginal defensive upgrade?

Hunter isn't the CF he once was, but isn't quite to the stage KGJ's become. I just don't know if I shell out near KGJ money for a player that will only marginally improve the D while sacrificing the O.
    Big offensive downgrade? Not sure about that.

Marginal defensive upgrade? Again, debatable.

Hunter is having a great year...and is murdering lefties. Not to say that he's a lock to have the same type of season next year, but he's also a lot younger than Jr and should be playing for a while after Griffey retires.

I think it's a no brainer if you can get some return on Jr. Dependent on the money, of course.

Hunter is reportedly looking for a 5/70 deal, similar to J.D. Drew's. I'm not sure I'd want to pay that.

I'm still not seeing what the problem is with Josh Hamilton in CF. He has good speed, gets good reads off the bat, has the range to go into the gaps, and has the arm to hold runners from advancing. Other than a few minor, coachable mental mistakes, he's better than average. Hamilton may not win a Gold Glove, but I think he has the ability to become one of the top six or eight CF's in baseball.

What I'd like to see is a future OF of Bruce in RF, Hamilton in CF, and come up with a guy like Fred Lewis or Elijah Dukes to play LF. Of course, the Reds could always sign a 45 year old Reggie Sanders if a young guy doesn't pan out.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Here's one: David DeJesus. He's slugging impaired and doesn't swipe bags, but can find first base, scores runs and is entereing his prime years. Plus he'd make a nice platoon partner with Hopper.
    Hard to pry him away from the Royals, though. They dig his game in KC. Plus he was Beltran's replacement, so he's been anointed.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Plus he was Beltran's replacement, so he's been anointed.
    If there looking at him as Beltran II, then they've gotta to be disappointed.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I just can't see the Reds focusing on this during the offseason. I think they see Hamilton, Bruce, Freel, and Hopper as being 4 people that can play center and that will be the end of that discussion. Dunn will be in left, Hamilton/Freel/Hooper in CF and Griffey in RF until the trade deadline and then I would not be surprised to see Dunn and Griffey both traded to make room for Bruce and one of the others from CF. The catcher position, the starters, and the pen is where the action will be this winter.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

If there looking at him as Beltran II, then they've gotta to be disappointed.
    That's the way things are for homegrown players in KC. Johnny Damon was George Brett II. DeJesus is Beltran II, or at least that's how they touted him -- "the kid who will make you forget about Carlos Beltran".
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?