Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirk Hayhurst and the meaning of being a ballplayer...

Dirk Hayhurst and the meaning of being a ballplayer...

Here's an article that offers a great contrast to 5 game losing streaks and Dunner vs Cunningham etc. Dirk Hayhurst is basically blogging for Baseball America in a piece called "The Non-Prospect Diaries" that is meant to give readers an inside perspective on the life of a minor leaguer. The entry linked above is starting to get kudos on several baseball blogs as Dirk really hits a homerun IMHO.

I suspect Dirk's dreams will never be fully realized on a ball field. That said, I also suspect that he's going to do all right in his life after playing ball. He gets it I think. After this entry and some time spent in his archives, his online diary is certainly becoming a must read for me and I'm becoming a huge fan of his...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dirk Hayhurst and the meaning of being a ballplayer...

Man, that's some fine writing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He was on XM's morning show last week. He's a very intelligent and articulate kid.

He gets it, in a big way. That column really is a "must read". It's nice to see him getting some national recognition now.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Fantastic blog and read. Some pieces have a serious side to them, while others, such as the details on bus trips, are just all out hilarious.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

It's funny this is brought up now bc I read one of his entries for the first time yesterday. It was about kids wanting him to get the autograph of a better player. It does amaze me how rude many kids are. I hope, and don't think, I was ever like that as a kid.

High five!

Very cool read. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's an article that offers a great contrast to 5 game losing streaks and Dunner vs Cunningham etc. Dirk Hayhurst is basically blogging for Baseball America in a piece called "The Non-Prospect Diaries" that is meant to give readers an inside perspective on the life of a minor leaguer. The entry linked above is starting to get kudos on several baseball blogs as Dirk really hits a homerun IMHO.

I suspect Dirk's dreams will never be fully realized on a ball field. That said, I also suspect that he's going to do all right in his life after playing ball. He gets it I think. After this entry and some time spent in his archives, his online diary is certainly becoming a must read for me and I'm becoming a huge fan of his...

Thanks for posting this link. That was some really good stuff.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Great reading. I would have liked to see a column about finances of an average minor league ballplayer and how what they make sounds great to us but what are the expenses that cut into their salaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

That seriously made me cry.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Thanks for sharing. One of the coolest things I've ever read.

Excellent writing
    Go Gators!

That absolutely made my night.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Somebody should make a movie about this stuff.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

This guy simply writes great stuff. Fantastic.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Thanks jojo.

Turn Off Ads?