Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legit trade Idea

Legit trade Idea

This offseason I would trade KG Jr for a decent pitcher that alos only has 1 year on his contract.You find team that needs another bat to compete that way both teams need to make the trade to have a chance. Since pitching is a priority for most teams you wouldn't get back a pitcher much better than a #3 for the reds but it might just give us a chance. I would imagine that a pitcher on the talent level of Paul Byrd would be a reasonable trade. Maybe the Reds want Jr to be here forever but I want a chance to make the plaoffs and we need to over offer for Linebrink and find some way to get a decent middle of the rotation pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Legit trade Idea

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    This offseason I would trade KG Jr for a decent pitcher that alos only has 1 year on his contract.You find team that needs another bat to compete that way both teams need to make the trade to have a chance. Since pitching is a priority for most teams you wouldn't get back a pitcher much better than a #3 for the reds but it might just give us a chance. I would imagine that a pitcher on the talent level of Paul Byrd would be a reasonable trade. Maybe the Reds want Jr to be here forever but I want a chance to make the plaoffs and we need to over offer for Linebrink and find some way to get a decent middle of the rotation pitcher.
    Jr to the Mets for Hielman works for me.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Im not opposed to trading Jr. and I know the 3-5 spots in the rotation are a crapshoot, but I would like Krivsky to get some quality young players, pitchers prefferably for Jr. While also trying to land a starter through free agency, Silva sounds good. I know it would be hard to pry any gm of good young pitching, but Im curious what here think Jr. could bring. If a half season of Kyle Lohse could net Matt Maloney, who was Philly's 8 or 9th best prospect then I wonder what Jr could bring in return. Taking Jr.s performance, age, contract, status, and health into consideration what do you think his current trade value is?
    Last edited by Orenda; 09-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Jr for Heilman would be awesome. Would the Mets be willing though? If so, I would do that in a heartbeat. I can see Jr heading to Atlanta. With Jones likely on his way out they could be looking for an OF (although they may want a true CF to replace him instead). Maybe the Reds could get a Jo Jo Reyes? I'm not real high on him, but he is young and would be a LH to run out there every 5 days. He could develop into a good middle of the rotation guy.

Also, I figure EdE will be the odd man out. It just doesn't seem like the Reds are sold on him. Maybe the Reds package him with a Travis Wood to the Twins and get a Kevin Slowey in return? I would rather have Garza, but the Twins won't go for that.

We would be really young, but pretty talented:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Reyes
    Slowey

I would imagine it would be more likely we would trade Junior to an AL team, possibly Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would imagine it would be more likely we would trade Junior to an AL team, possibly Seattle.
    They need a DH. They would have a terrific lineup then.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

well never get a serviceable pitcher for an old man like griff

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    well never get a serviceable pitcher for an old man like griff
    We could get one. Griffey not only is one of the best players in baseball, but his presence brings people to the park. Look at Randy Johnson going back to Arizona.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

He is still a quality corner outfielder. It may be possible to trade him to another team for a back-end starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He is still a quality corner outfielder. It may be possible to trade him to another team for a back-end starting pitcher.
    The Reds have enough back-end starting pitchers
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Actually they don't have any. They have a 1 and a 3 and that's it.

nobody wants Jr until his current contract expires...hes not going anywhere
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    Maybe the Reds want Jr to be here forever but I want a chance to make the plaoffs and we need to over offer for Linebrink and find some way to get a decent middle of the rotation pitcher.
    Overpaying for Linebrink is one of the worst things the Reds can do. This year, Linebrink has had a severe downturn in important peripheral stats, even though his ERA is still 3.79. Since 2004, his K/9 has consistently been over 8, but this year has fallen to 5.55. At the same time, his BB/9 has increased to 3.21, while previously being below 3.00 in the same time frame. The most troubling statistic has been his 1.61 HR/9 this season, which for most of the season has been in a ballpark that suppresses HR's. To be fair, his HR/FB has been an unlucky 14.5%, but normal luck would still put it in an area too high to be a huge asset in our ballpark. Finally he has shown slight flyball inducing tendencies in his career, as his 0.88 GB/FB ratio shows. Someone will give Linebrink a lot of money this offseason, and it would be a mistake for the Reds to be that team.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I believe he meant the Reds have a large number of 3-5 starters; all of whom are marginal SP in the majors.

People always say how many back end pitchers the Reds have. I don't see it. After Harang and Arroyo thats it. I guess Livingston, and EZ are 3-5 pitcher types. We didn't see much of them this year though.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?