Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3:10 to Yuma

Re: 3:10 to Yuma

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When I saw that the first thing that came to mind was "Has there even been a major studio produce or release to the theaters a western since Unforgiven?

Lonesome Dove and Open Range were TV series, so I don't know if they would count.

Open Range was a theatrical release. Directed by Kevin Costner. I think you're thinking of another Duvall mini-series that came out a year or so after Open Range.

Open Range was fantastic. I'm not a huge Costner fan anymore, but he was born to make westerns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Open Range was a theatrical release. Directed by Kevin Costner. I think you're thinking of another Duvall mini-series that came out a year or so after Open Range.

Open Range was fantastic. I'm not a huge Costner fan anymore, but he was born to make westerns.
    Lonesome Dove?

I tried to rent Open Range at the local video store today and they said they had 3 copies but had sold them.

I rented 3:10, as well as Silverado (haven't seen it in awhile), and the Quick and the Dead. Hackman is one of my favorite actors. He makes a good western villian.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-10-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Lonesome Dove?
    Lonesome Dove 89 (TV)

Dances with Wolves 1990

Unforgiven 1992

Tombstone 1993
    Wyatt Earp 1993

Open Range 2003

Broken Trail (Duvall/Thomas Haden Church) 2006 (TV)

3:10 To Yuma 2007
    Last edited by Raisor; 01-10-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Lonesome Dove 89 (TV)

Dances with Wolves 1990

Unforgiven 1992

Tombstone 1993
    Wyatt Earp 1993

Open Range 2003

Broken Trail (Duvall/Thomas Haden Church) 2006 (TV)

3:10 To Yuma 2007
    Broken Trail. Which is that a sequel to? Lonesome Dove or Open Range?

I liked Tombstone over Wyatt Earp. Tombstone had some of the best lines in a western ever IMO. I'm not a big fan of Kilmer, but he did a great job as Holiday IMO.

Dances With Wolves, which I tried to watch just the other day for the umpteenth time was boring to me. Still can't make it all the way through it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I liked Tombstone over Wyatt Earp. Tombstone had some of the best lines in a western ever IMO. I'm not a big fan of Kilmer, but he did a great job as Holiday IMO.
    The Pharaoh (sp?) table exchange between Kilmer's " Doc Holliday" and Michael Beihn's "Johnny Ringo" was one of the best face-offs I've ever seen and it set the tone for the rest of the film. BTW, here's what could have been the conversation when tranlated into that period's vernacular English:

http://www.dacc.cc.il.us/~jeff/tombstone-latin.html

Holliday: "Wine loosens the tongue."

Ringo: "You better pay attention to what you're doing."

Holliday: "Go tell someone else."

Ringo: "Fools must learn through experience."

Holliday: "Rest in peace."

The funny thing is that I didn't need to see the translation to understand what was going on while watching the scene. It was established at that point that not only is Holliday the smarter of the two- especially after the cup-spinning response to Ringo's gun tricks- but that Holliday is also likely the better gunfighter. We didn't understand the language, but we understood the scene. The more dangerous man spun a cup. That's brilliance in a nutshell.

For me, Kilmer's "I'm your huckleberry." response in response to Ringo's post-O.K. Corral "play for blood" demand in the street is up there with the greatest single lines of all time. Val Kilmer's performance was incredible. I'm sure it was much to Kurt Russell's dismay (especially since he was very good), but Kilmer stole every scene. Every one.

While 3:10 to Yuma is a great Western film, Tombstone is one of the best films in that genre's history IMHO. The funny thing is that I don't even own the film. I've seen it so many times that I'll only purchase it at this point on high-def (if it's ever released). But every single time I happen across it while it's running on a movie channel I stop everything in order to sit down and watch it. Dont' care where I join the flick. I just want to watch the rest of it. I honestly think the only movies I've seen more times than Tombstone are Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

As for "3:10 to Yuma" being on-par with "Unforgiven"? Well, I think a lot of the allure for that movie is Clint Eastwood playing a gunfighter. I liked the film, but it was slow to develop although the payoff was good. I'd actually slot "3:10" above "Unforgiven", but would place both behind "Tombstone".
    Last edited by SteelSD; 01-10-2008 at 11:28 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The Pharaoh (sp?) table exchange between Kilmer's " Doc Holliday" and Michael Beihn's "Johnny Ringo" was one of the best face-offs I've ever seen and it set the tone for the rest of the film.
    That is a great exchange....

Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday.
    Doc Holliday: That's the rumor.
    Johnny Ringo: You retired too?
    Doc Holliday: Not me. I'm in my prime.
    Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it.
    Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
    Kate: You don't even know him.
    Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
    Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He's drunk.
    Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
    ["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]
    Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
    ["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]
    Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.
    ["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
    Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.
    ["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]
    Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
    ["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]
    Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
    Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him

I loved the exchange between Holiday and Ike Clanton after Doc was cleaning his clock at the poker table....

Ike: What is that Holiday, twelve hands in a row? Nobody's that ****** lucky.

Doc: Why Ike, whatever is the problem? Maybe poker just isn't your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest.

and....

"Oh make no doubt abut it, it's not revenge he's after. It's the reckoning."

The funny thing is that I don't even own the film. I've seen it so many times that I'll only purchase it at this point on high-def (if it's ever released). But every single time I happen across it while it's running on a movie channel I stop everything in order to sit down and watch it. Dont' care where I join the flick. I just want to watch the rest of it.
    I'm exactly the same way Kori. I love a good western, especially if it's Wayne or Eastwood. I've gradually been collecting them all on DVD, and I've seen them all a million times. But if they are on cable, and I'm browsing through the channels and see one, I'll watch it again.

I just bought JW's The Searchers on Hi-Def.

As for "3:10 to Yuma" being on-par with "Unforgiven"? Well, I think a lot of the allure for that movie is Clint Eastwood playing a gunfighter. I liked the film, but it was slow to develop although the payoff was good. I'd actually slot "3:10" above "Unforgiven", but would place both behind "Tombstone".
    First with Pale Rider, and then Unforgiven, I think Eastwood can be given credit for bringing a revival to westerns, which were dying as far as big time Hollywood productions because the studios didn't want to risk such a huge expenditure of money.

But to an Eastwod fan, the character in Unforgiven is like closure for that "man with no name" character that Clint portrayed in so many westerns, going back to A Fist Full of Dollars.

Another set of spaghetti westerns that I have on DVD and throughly enjoy are the Trinity movies with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. He also made another one with Henry Fonda - "My Name Is Nobody". Some one, in the last year, used one of those movie sequences in a commercial. The scene where Hill is facing off with the gunslinger at the bar and is pulling the guys guns out of his holster, putting them back, and then slapping the crap out of the guy, only to keep repeating the process! Funny stuff.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-11-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Open Range has been showing on cable recently on one of the higher up channels on my system. Bravo or AMC maybe. It has been on a few times. You may be able to catch it there.

I'd actually slot "3:10" above "Unforgiven", but would place both behind "Tombstone".
    That's where I'd put them as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Another set of spaghetti westerns that I have on DVD and throughly enjoy are the Trinity movies with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. He also made another one with Henry Fonda - "My Name Is Nobody". Some one, in the last year, used one of those movie sequences in a commercial. The scene where Hill is facing off with the gunslinger at the bar and is pulling the guys guns out of his holster, putting them back, and then slapping the crap out of the guy, only to keep repeating the process! Funny stuff.

Our family used to go watch those movies when we were kids.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Some one, in the last year, used one of those movie sequences in a commercial. The scene where Hill is facing off with the gunslinger at the bar and is pulling the guys guns out of his holster, putting them back, and then slapping the crap out of the guy, only to keep repeating the process! Funny stuff.
    I'm a closet cowboy poetry fan. Reminded me of this poem by Arthur Chapman

There’s a new grace up on Boot Hill, where we’ve planted Rowdy Pete;
    He died one evenin’, sudden, with his leather on his feet;
    He was Cactus Center’s terror with that work of art, the Colt,
    But, somehow, without warnin’, he up and missed his holt.

His fav’rite trick in shootin’ was to grab his victim’s right,
    Then draw his own revolver—and the rest was jest “Good-night”;
    He worked it in succession on nine stout and well-armed men,
    But a sickly-lookin’ stranger made Pete’s feet slip up at ten.

Pete had follered out his programme and had passed the fightin’ word;
    He grabbed the stranger’s right hand, when a funny thing occurred;
    The stranger was left-handed, which Pete hadn’t figgered out,
    And, afore he fixed his error, Peter was dead beyond all doubt.

It was jest another instance of a flaw in work of man;
    A lefty never figgered in the gunman’s battle plan;
    There ain’t no scheme man thinks of that Dame Nature cannot beat—
    So his pupils are unlearnin’ that cute trick they got from Pete.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Broken Trail. Which is that a sequel to? Lonesome Dove or Open Range?

Neither, Broken Trail was a stand alone mini-series.

Lonesome Dove has had quite a few sequels/prequels etc.

First was "Return to Lonesome Dove", a mini-series starring Jon Voight as Woodrow Call. It was not authorized by Larry McMurrtry. Following "Return" came Lonesome Dove the Series (season two was called LD the Outlaw years). It followed the Return to Lonesome Dove history and was quite good. It focused on Newt Call, Woodrow's son.

McMurrtry did his own sequel, based on his book called "Streets of Loredo" starring Jim Gardner as an aged Woodrow Call. Great cast and story, and I loved just about everything about it. The prequels "Deadman's Walk" came later, not that good, and Commanche Moon comes out next week (starring Val Kilmer as Gus and Woodrow's Ranger captain).

I'm a huge Lonesome Dove fan, read it once every couple years and watch the mini-series at least once a year. It's the perfect western.

The Pharaoh (sp?) table exchange between Kilmer's " .
    it's "faro", you ignorant wretch.

I love TOMBSTONE probably to an unhealthy level, and since we're talking about it I'll probably watch it this weekend. That being said, Costner's EARP gets a bad rap. It's very good, but it had the bad luck to be released within months of Tombstone. Costner is only ok as Wyatt, but Quaid brings the awesome as Doc. It's really a shame that neither Kilmer nor Quaid were nominated for an Oscar as both were THAT good. Would have been cool to see two actors get nominated the same year for the same character.

Tombstone just rocks though.

it's "faro", you ignorant wretch.

Hey! I noted the likely spelling error. You're just lookin' fer a fight.

Go ahead. Skin that smokewagon and see what happens...

I love TOMBSTONE probably to an unhealthy level, and since we're talking about it I'll probably watch it this weekend. That being said, Costner's EARP gets a bad rap. It's very good, but it had the bad luck to be released within months of Tombstone. Costner is only ok as Wyatt, but Quaid brings the awesome as Doc. It's really a shame that neither Kilmer nor Quaid were nominated for an Oscar as both were THAT good. Would have been cool to see two actors get nominated the same year for the same character.

Tombstone just rocks though.
    You're right about Quaid. He was excellent. That being said, Kilmer just flat out stuck his performance.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Just saw 3:10
    Okay Raisor, I want my money back

Wyatt and Doc did not miss as many as times as those guys did in 3:10 to Yuma.

Tombstone still the champ.

You're right about Quaid. He was excellent. That being said, Kilmer just flat out stuck his performance.
    Truer words were never spoken, he was magnificent.

Watched 3:10 to Yuma last night, liked it ok but not overly so. Found it odd how Crowe's (Wade) character helped out Bale's (Evans), not very realistic even if it was meant for some sorta deeper meaning. Crowe did an excellent job though and I thought Bale did fine also.

I have always wished that I could combine Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. I love a long western (Lonesome Dove my fav) and Earp was much longer. That said everything about Tombstone was perfect casting, acting, writing, directing etc.

Dana Delaney (Josie) was an absolute gem IMO.

But nothing tops Lonesome Dove IMO, even though Blue Duck who was played by Frederic Forrest was a tad off with his obviously fake nose. But other than that I loved it, Duvall at his best and Diane (Lori Darlin') Lane was good as well. One question though, why leave out the Bear?

I agree Raisor Dead Man's Walk was pretty lame, at least once "the walk" began. I hadn't heard about Comanche Moon coming out it should be great, you did mean the movie right?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?