Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

For the Chad Johnson Haters

Follow this link and watch the video clip.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4723

I love this guy.

I like his attitude, I like his approach, and I especially like the way that he actually cares about the game that he is playing and appears to truly care about bringing a winner to Cincinnati for the fans of Cincinnati. How many players are just going through the motions to collect a paycheck? Just look at the Vikings. How focused are those jokers on playing football? Maybe if they spent less time cavorting on Lake Minnetonka and more time in the film room a la Chad Johnson they'd be doing better in that sorry division of theirs. How many players just like that were we forced to endure playing in Cincinnati?

“I think what he’s doing is pretty funny. He’s basically challenging himself and whoever is covering him that week,” said Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck, who knows Johnson through Rolle, a former Titan. “I’m a little bit of a Chad Johnson fan. When we’re on the field, he’s not my matchup. If he catches the ball on crossing routes, stuff like that, I’ll be in the area, so it’s get down or lay down.

“Chad’s just having fun, man,” said Bulluck when asked if his friend has the Titans fired up. “He’s one of the great personalities in this league. With all the different fines the NFL tries to get us players for bringing excitement to this league, it’s a shame. He says he wants to be looked at as one of the best wide receivers and I understand where he’s coming from because I feel the same way about myself and the position I play, so there’s no hard feelings there.”
    “No, its funny,” said defensive tackle John Thornton. “He works harder than anyone I’ve been around. When you do that as a player, you can do those types of things. When you go out and work hard every day in practice, we know it’s not fake and he turns it on for the TVs. He knows he has to go out and beat those DBs because they all want to get in that “Yes” column. Every player should be that confident. It’s not a distraction.”
    So many people want to pidgeonhole Chad Johnson to fit their perception. The guy is obviously beloved by his teammates, esp. Carson. If his approach is good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for me.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4723
    Last edited by WMR; 10-13-2005 at 12:43 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For the Chad Johnson Haters

Thanks for posting that!

Chad is not a "me" guy. He is a team guy, no matter what anybody says.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I agree. Chad is a great guy and is a lot of fun to watch.
    "I didn't see this coming." -- :kearns: , after he helped the Reds to 17 runs on Friday night with two three-run homers

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Chad is a team player, yes... but Chad needs to grow up. Crying because he wishes he wasnt Chad? Ugh.

The dude just needs to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Chad is a team player, yes... but Chad needs to grow up. Crying because he wishes he wasnt Chad? Ugh.

The dude just needs to relax.
    Exactly. I'm not buying this excuse that it's just his strong passion to win that drives his antics - as if everyone else on that team, or in the NFL, does have a passion to win?

After the loss last Sunday we saw Hyde. In the interview we saw Jekyll. Who are we gonna see this week if the same possibly occurs, since reports are that TJ is not ready to play, and the Titans use dbl/triple coverage on Johnson and basically shut him down. The Titan's overall defense and pass defense is 15th in the NFL.

He states that he doesn't want Palmer to throw into dbl coverage. Then why fuss at your QB during the game and make a comment after the game questioning your QB's effort to get him the ball? You just don't so that IMO.

It wasn't Johnson nor Palmer's fault that he was being shutdown by dbl and triple coverage.

Yeah you need to get creative, as Johnson stated. He says that if he is drawing that type of coverage then that means someone else will be open. Sound logic, but not always the case. It wasn't the case this past Sunday. But lets see how he reacts in the future if he continues to draw similar coverage, is not getting the ball/receptions like he thinks he should, while other receivers are. Because it is all about geting the win.

My problem with him is that he keeps spouting off and drawing attention to himself. Then when he gets it from opposing defenses, and they do shut him down, he gets all flustered, emotional, and defensive. As far as I'm concerned, you asked for it. You want to be the center of attention - you got it!

You're a darn talented young receiver - SHUT UP and go out there and play the game.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-14-2005 at 05:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Senor Votto

Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

Chad Johnson and the Ravens get an early start to trash talking

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
    September 6, 2007

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Chad Johnson added Ed Reed to his "hit list," announced his intention of smacking Ray Lewis and Bart Scott in the mouth and promised a grandiose touchdown celebration.

Lewis laughingly insisted Johnson wouldn't score, and Scott said the standout wide receiver couldn't hit hard enough to bust a grape.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Baltimore Ravens engaged in a war of the words Thursday, four days before the AFC North rivals meet Monday night in the opener for both teams.

Johnson didn't reach the end zone in two games against the Ravens last season, so the fleet-footed, wide-mouthed star will seek to amend that situation at Paul Brown Stadium. He's so confident of scoring that he's already devised a plan to mark the occasion.

"This will probably be one of the greatest celebrations of all time," Johnson told Cincinnati reporters. "It's more of a let-you-know ahead of time what will come in the future for 85. It's going to be a good one. You'll like it."

Johnson often speaks with Lewis on the phone, and this week was no exception.

This is how Lewis described part of the conversation: "He said, 'If I get in the end zone on Monday night ...' and I said, 'Stop, Chad, because that's what I want you to focus on: if.' Oh, he got mad."

It wasn't a typical exchange between Lewis and Johnson. Then again, it isn't often that the two AFC powers meet on Monday night.

"Ninety-five percent of it is not about football. That's what's funny. He just calls me to talk about whatever else," Lewis said. "But this time, we got on football and he said this crazy stuff and I said, 'Suppose you all don't score.' And I shouldn't have said that, because I didn't get off the phone with that guy for an hour-and-a-half."

Johnson, in a conference call with the Baltimore media, said, "I always get that good word from Ray before every game. Nothing is going to change. But, when that whistle does blow, I'm going to hit him in the mouth."

Johnson and the highly regarded Baltimore defense have exchanged trash-talk for years. Johnson insists it's good-natured fun -- except when Scott gets involved.

"I'm trying to talk to everybody, and Bart's cursing me out, telling me (to) get back in my huddle. I'm just trying to make friends, man. That's it. Serious. Bart is mean," Johnson said. "It's not funny. And if this year he tries that again, I'm going to hit him in the mouth."

Told of Johnson's assertion, Scott laughed.

"I'm a nice guy," he said. "Whenever I see Chad, I'm always shooting him comments like, 'Nice goat. Hey, you look good in blond. Cool mohawk. Gwen Stefani's mohawk is nothing compared to yours."'

Scott also shrugged off Johnson's threat of violence.

"Aw, that's Chad. He's such a nice guy," Scott said. "He wouldn't bust a grape in fruit fight. ... He's nonstop entertainment. I wish him the best in his career outside of football when he gets on the comedy stage."

Johnson kiddingly said he was going to seek out Reed, who scored a touchdown on an interception return against the Bengals last season.

"Ed is on my hit list," Johnson said. "Ed almost knocked me out last year on that first play of the game when they intercepted it and took it to the house, so I owe him one."

Johnson said his yapping on the field is all about having fun. His main focus is on making plays.

"My trash talking is not about your mamma, about your kids. It's not like that," he said. "I don't even know how to explain it. Whether I get in (your) head or not, you're not going to win the battle. That's my thought process, that's how I think -- period. Regardless of what I say, you're not going to stop me. One person, two people, three, I don't care."

On a more serious note, Ravens offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden practiced with the first-team offense in full gear Thursday but was not ready to declare himself ready to play Monday. The 10-time Pro Bowler missed the entire preseason with an hyperextended toe, an injury that dates back to last season.

"It's OK, not great," he said. "It's one of things where I have to feel my way through. I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess. I'm not going to say yea or nay."

Wide receiver Mark Clayton and cornerback Samari Rolle, who both sprained ankles in the second preseason game, are expected to play against the Bengals.

uoduck1017

Re: Chad Johnsom gets an early start to trash talking

You can tell it's football season when Chad Johnson starts trash-talking, especially with the Ravens. Chad will need to play much better against the Ravens than he did last year for the Bengals to have a good shot at winning the opener.

Shut up and put up.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He has to earn the right to talk. Last year he didn't do that. Until we get the prolific Chad back he can shut up. If he scores this Monday though, he earned his celebration.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Chad's trash talking is played out.

Chad can talk all he wants as long as he puts up 1300 yards receiving every year. If that's how he motivates himself, more power to him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Chad can talk all he wants as long as he puts up 1300 yards receiving every year. If that's how he motivates himself, more power to him.
    Unfortunately, as of late it usually ends up antagonizing the other team to the degree where they start looking to separate his head from his body. The trash talking can be fun, but when he calls out the other team, I spend the whole game wondering if they're going to try to put him out for the season.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Unfortunately, as of late it usually ends up antagonizing the other team to the degree where they start looking to separate his head from his body. The trash talking can be fun, but when he calls out the other team, I spend the whole game wondering if they're going to try to put him out for the season.
    It seems like Chad is pretty good buddies with most of the DB's in the league, especially with guys like Ray Lewis. I think they know it's all in fun and they play back too. Sure, they want to hit him and hit him hard because that is their job but I don't think anybody is out there trying to end Chad's season or career. Defenses around the league know it's just Chad being Chad, it's not like they are going to be surprised that he is calling them out. The people it ticks off most it seems are the fans...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Re: Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

Chad Johnson makes it very easy to root against the Bengals.

Re: Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Chad Johnson makes it very easy to root against the Bengals.
    I think Chad makes the bengals a much more marketable team and generates more out of town fans than he turns away. I look at chad and his antics this way. Every player does something to get themselves pumped up for the game. Some listen to music, some meditate, some pray, etc. Chad talks. Most of it is in good fun and from all reports he has a good relatoinship with a lot of defenders in the league. If he continues to lead the league in recieving yards every year I am fine with whatever he says or does.

Turn Off Ads?