Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

Re: Chad Johnson gets an early start to trash talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Chad Johnson makes it very easy to root against the Bengals.

I'm not a Bengals fan but Chad Johnson and his antics would make me more likely to root for them if I were so inclined.

And I think bucksfan2 has a great point. He's easily their most marketable player. You could make the argument that Carson Palmer should be but he isn't for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chad Johnsom gets an early start to trash talking

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    He has to earn the right to talk. Last year he didn't do that. Until we get the prolific Chad back he can shut up. If he scores this Monday though, he earned his celebration.
    So he leads the AFC in yardage for a fourth consecutive year and that's not "earning it" or "prolific". He's a top 3 WR in the league. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not a Bengals fan but Chad Johnson and his antics would make me more likely to root for them if I were so inclined.

And I think bucksfan2 has a great point. He's easily their most marketable player. You could make the argument that Carson Palmer should be but he isn't for whatever reason.
    Interesting. I guess it just depends on what you like in a player. For me, I much prefer guys like Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt. Quiet types that just do their jobs and do it very, very well. I've never been a fan of trash talk and showboating, personally. But that's just me.

The thing I like about Chad is what he does is all in fun. Most of the other players realize that too. I don't think there a lot of players that are horribly offended by what Chad says most realize he is just having fun.

Chad celebrates when he gets in the endzone. As Reds Fanatic says it is all in fun. I am not a huge fan of celebratoin but I do not mind if it is after a score. What I dislike very much is when Madieu celebrates a tackle or a hit. Or a db celebrates after they make a play. Especially when a team is losing or in a close game there is no celebratoin needed when you make a play. If you score that is one thing, if you mearly make a good football play that is another.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Chad celebrates when he gets in the endzone. As Reds Fanatic says it is all in fun. I am not a huge fan of celebratoin but I do not mind if it is after a score. What I dislike very much is when Madieu celebrates a tackle or a hit. Or a db celebrates after they make a play. Especially when a team is losing or in a close game there is no celebratoin needed when you make a play. If you score that is one thing, if you mearly make a good football play that is another.

I agree once again. Chad makes me laugh and it's not like he does it after every catch he makes. I'm not a huge fan of the end zone celebrations - especially the planned ones - but Chad's are inspired.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yeah, this all seems like a lot of harmless barking and woofing.

Johnson is an entertaining player (almost cartoonish) and I've got no problem with him. I'd prefer my players to hand the ball to the ref and jog off the field, but those days are long gone. I'm old school but all that means any more is that I'm old and cranky.

Chad just needs to keep his talk in the "fun" range. IIRC, there have been some times when he went over the line, distracted him from his game, and Marvin had to have a talk with him. I think he has that under control now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Just back it up, Chad.

Just back it up.

uoduck1017

Re: Chad Johnsom gets an early start to trash talking

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    He's a top 3 WR in the league. Period.
    Steve Smith
    Chad Johnson
    Marvin Harrison

Along with Terrell Owens and Torry Holt. Something like that.

I'm not a Bengals fan, but I'm amused by Chad and his antics. He's entertaining. He puts the fun back in the No Fun League.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Chad's performance has far outweighed his talking. He's setting more football records than talking records. Besides, the more attention he brings to himself, the less attention paid to the other talented receivers. In my opinion, that's a true team player. And despite the double- and triple-team coverage, he's still managing to destroy opposing defenses. He doesn't deserve all the credit, but the deserves most of it. Oh, yeah, and like others said: He's just having fun (and making it more fun for me and others as a result).

I don't need to see guys performing idiotic dances and hear a bunch of trash talk for me to have fun watching the game. But again, that's just me. The game of football is entertaining for me, not the Johnson and Terrell Owens' of the game. To each their own.

I'm always confused by people who don't like Chad. There really is not a bit of malice in him.
    Now TJ, if he were not a Bengal I'm pretty sure I'd feel like he's the biggest jerk this side of Michael Vick.
    But he's a Bengals so its all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It has nothing to do with malice for me. And it's not like I hate the guy. I just said he makes it easier to root against the Bengals, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I don't need to see guys performing idiotic dances and hear a bunch of trash talk for me to have fun watching the game. But again, that's just me. The game of football is entertaining for me, not the Johnson and Terrell Owens' of the game. To each their own.
    I can understand why you don't like him. But he's nothing like Owens. I don't think Chad has ripped his QB and disrupted the locker room. He's just got a big mouth.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?