Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Ankiel allegedly received HGH

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Rick Ankiel allegedly received HGH

So much for the second-coming of The Natural.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe Roy Hobbs was on the juice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3008363
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Rick Ankiel allegedly received HGH

If this is true, Ankiel needs a brain transplant. That's for being so stupid as to take out this prescription in his real name.

I'm not surprised. There's probably still a ton of players STILL on HGH (since it is undetectable), but I guess they'll all check HOW they get their stuff now. My guess the latin players probably have the easiest access.

It might make sense to check some bags when they come back from Venezuela or the Dominican Republic.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'd guess he isn't the only Cardinal who received it...

Right Albert?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd guess he isn't the only Cardinal who received it...
    Right Albert?

Shhhh. George Grande might hear you.

It states he took out the prescriptions when they were legal in '04, then stopped taking them in '05 when they became illegal.

Uh-huh. Right. And I just ate some Swiss cheese made from the moon.

Cheaters!

Just saying.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Shhhh. George Grande might hear you.

It states he took out the prescriptions when they were legal in '04, then stopped taking them in '05 when they became illegal.

Uh-huh. Right. And I just ate some Swiss cheese made from the moon.

It didn't say he stopped using them, it says he stopped receiving them in 2005.

The artcicle makes no comments about whether or not he ever used them.

But lets be real here folks. There is also nothing saying that he stopped. Even 3 years ago, HGH was a well known, controversial substance. It didn't get banned unexectedly. And here we have a guy stocking up on it (a years supply) right before the ban. How many people get their medicine supply a year at a time?

HGH (human growth hormone) has been banned from most sports for over 10 years. There are many adverse effects, including that after prolonged use, the body stops manufacturing natual HGH, which can lead athletes to continuing use of artificial HGH. It is only legal for treatment of a deficiency of natural HGH in the body.

I would be interested to see how much of a weight and physique change Ankiel had from his first stint in MLB as a pitcher compared to now.

I will be watching the developments unfold, and waiting to hear what Ankiel has to say.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It didn't say he stopped using them, it says he stopped receiving them in 2005.

The artcicle makes no comments about whether or not he ever used them.
    This is very true.
    And, perhaps he did stop receiving them...as Rick Ankiel.

Doesn't it seem like Dave Duncan and Tony Larussa are always around the 'roiders?

Duncan has his own son on the crap. Pujols is obvious and now Ankiel.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    This is very true.
    And, perhaps he did stop receiving them...as Rick Ankiel.

Maybe he's getting them now under Ron Mexico. Vick won't be using that alias for a while.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

This is such a non-story. Who cares? Junior has his hamstring nailed to his leg. So what if Ankiel took a supplement that wasn't illegal and wasn't banned by MLB? It's like McGwire taking Andro. There are so many things that athletes do and get done to their bodies, particularly for the sake of recovery. To act like HGH is somehow distinctly worse, somehow "more" cheating just strikes me as crap.

How come Mike and Mike spend 30 minutes on this and 5 seconds talking about a star defensive player for the Patriots getting suspended for 4 games doing the exact same thing? It's the media giving grossly disproportionate attention to certain events beyond their merit for the purpose of ratings and selling more papers. I'm so freaking sick of it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This is such a non-story. Who cares? Junior has his hamstring nailed to his leg. So what if Ankiel took a supplement that wasn't illegal and wasn't banned by MLB? It's like McGwire taking Andro. There are so many things that athletes do and get done to their bodies, particularly for the sake of recovery. To act like HGH is somehow distinctly worse, somehow "more" cheating just strikes me as crap.

How come Mike and Mike spend 30 minutes on this and 5 seconds talking about a star defensive player for the Patriots getting suspended for 4 games doing the exact same thing? It's the media giving grossly disproportionate attention to certain events beyond their merit for the purpose of ratings and selling more papers. I'm so freaking sick of it.
    For my part, I'm getting sick of the steriod apologists playing this stuff down at every chance they get.

HGH is NOT a supplement. It is a controlled substance and YES it is legal...if you're a MIDGET.

The REASON it's a controlled substance is because it promotes cell growth. Why is that a problem? Unbridled cell growth = CANCER.

The connection has been made in rats only, granted, but that's because we don't test it on healthy humans (thank goodness).

Who cares? Well, I do. As a sports fan, I like my games fair, if possible. And it helps if the young people playing aren't killing themselves in process, too.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Oneupper, so why do we care if a player is taking a substance that's going to give him cancer. It's still at best a side story and should not be taking precedence over the actual events on the field. Sports coverage is becoming like the rest of the tabloid media. News is becoming news because some office bigwig thinks they'll get ratings for it, not because of its importance. And then they justify continued coverage of the topic because of their own past coverage.

If Ankiel is going to be banned, then it's relevant. Even as a news story in the Dispatch, it has enough relevance for a 60 second mention. However, it should not be a 5 minute lead on SportsCenter, a entire segment on radio, etc.

I like my games fair too. But guess what, I don't get a chance to enjoy the games because I'm overwhelmed with "news" about a report about how somebody might have cheated 3 years ago. Sure, alert us to the story. But don't spend 10 minutes debating it at the cost of actually covering the sport itself.

It's like there's all sorts of serious events happening around the world affected millions of people's lives and we're getting treated to non-stop coverage on whether a senator for one of the least populous states might have homosexual tendencies. Uggh!

News in general, and sports news in particular, is decreasingly about relevance and information distribution and more and more about bumping the ratings up to get more advertising dollars. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I really don't care about what Rick Ankiel might have done 3 years ago when I'm watching a sporting news show unless it's going to have some tangible affect on the events of today and tomorrow.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-07-2007 at 11:51 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think most people have grown tired of the entire steroid story. An era is tainted because of performance enhancing drugs and it seems as if only a few will avoid the stain. In the end we will never know the truth of who did and who didn't. The only evidence likely to ever be presented is hearsay and anecdotal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think most people have grown tired of the entire steroid story. An era is tainted because of performance enhancing drugs and it seems as if only a few will avoid the stain. In the end we will never know the truth of who did and who didn't. The only evidence likely to ever be presented is hearsay and anecdotal.
    It's not that era is tainted and that disappoints me so much. It's that every era is tainted by something and the real effect of that taint is being blown way out of proportion.

It's the coverage of the taint rather than the taint itself that is detracting from the game.

Turn Off Ads?