Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Littlefield Fired--Pirates Hire Dan O'Brien (just kidding)

Re: Littlefield Fired--Pirates Hire Dan O'Brien (just kidding)

Zduriencik seems to have an eye for top-end talent, which is what the Bucs most need.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Zduriencik seems to have an eye for top-end talent, which is what the Bucs most need.
    He's earning a reputation as someone who doesn't give a flying rat butt about the conventional wisdom during the draft. Prince Fielder was supposed to go late in the first round, and the Brewers were criticized.

Oh well.

Matt LaPorta was considered an overdraft this year. But look what he did to the Sally League (homer every 8.8 at bats)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=453181

And that guy Ryan Braun isn't doing too bad either.

I don't know what his philosophy is at the major league level. I hear him talk a lot about strikeouts (for hitters), which I have no problem with when scouting amateurs. It's not as big a deal with major leaguers.
    Stick to your guns.

It looks like Neil Huntington will replace Littlefield.

He's another UMass sport management grad, and he worked with Littlefield on the Expos.

He's considered much more of a stat-head than a scout, however. He never played ball above Division III college:

http://mvn.com/mlb-pirates/2007/09/2...al-huntington/

The conventional wisdom was that Coonelly would pick more of a traditional evaluator to be GM, to counteract his background as a lawyer.

This demonstrates that Coonelly doesn't give a poo about the conventional wisdom, which is probably a good thing for Pirates fans.
    Stick to your guns.

Will Huntington be looking for folks with sports management and legal backgrounds? Perhaps somebody with some familiarity with the Pirates system would be a choice.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Will Huntington be looking for folks with sports management and legal backgrounds? Perhaps somebody with some familiarity with the Pirates system would be a choice.
    If what you say is true, it's imperative that the spouse of the persons you describe permit the relocation of the family unit to the metro-Pittsburgh area.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    It looks like Neil Huntington will replace Littlefield.

It's official

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070925/...Ia9ruKkvSs0NUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, baseball prospectus had some objections to the slant of that story. BP thinks this was a thinly-veiling slam of Neil Huntington.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=540
    Stick to your guns.

I'm reaching back real deep here with thread recycling but I honestly never thought the name Dave Littlefield would again be uttered in regards to a team hiring a general manager. But here we are in the year of our lord 2018, and the New York Mets have not only interviewed Littlefield but he's made it past the first cuts.

It's not totally fair to the man, but some Pirates fans put a lot of work into Littlefield's Wikipedia page years ago and it still mostly stands the test of time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Littlefield
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Crumbley (10-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm reaching back real deep here with thread recycling but I honestly never thought the name Dave Littlefield would again be uttered in regards to a team hiring a general manager. But here we are in the year of our lord 2018, and the New York Mets have not only interviewed Littlefield but he's made it past the first cuts.

It's not totally fair to the man, but some Pirates fans put a lot of work into Littlefield's Wikipedia page years ago and it still mostly stands the test of time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Littlefield
    LOL, that 1st paragraph (about the 2003 Rule 5 draft) is awesome.

I hope the Met's hire him, and he trades DeGrom for Brandon Finnegan, Robert Stephenson and Sal Romano.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-19-2018)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    LOL, that 1st paragraph (about the 2003 Rule 5 draft) is awesome.

I hope the Met's hire him, and he trades DeGrom for Brandon Finnegan, Robert Stephenson and Sal Romano.
    According to Wikipedia, he would reject that trade for not being slanted enough in his favor but, as you noted, he'd let you have DeGrom in a rule 5 draft for free.

14. Likes:

Crumbley (10-19-2018)

If they hire him, maybe I can get drafted in the first round. I'm 56 and non-athletic, but based on Littlefield's picks with the Pirates, that shouldn't be a problem.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Does anybody know how Littlefield has been perceived in Detroit? I've seen very little press about his tenure there. He's an easy target due to some of the moves he made while running the Pirates. In fairness, whether he's a good fit for the Mets probably has a lot to do with whether he's 10 years wiser or 10 years more stubborn.
    Stick to your guns.

He's earning a reputation as someone who doesn't give a flying rat butt about the conventional wisdom during the draft. Prince Fielder was supposed to go late in the first round, and the Brewers were criticized.

Oh well.

Matt LaPorta was considered an overdraft this year. But look what he did to the Sally League (homer every 8.8 at bats)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=453181

And that guy Ryan Braun isn't doing too bad either.

I don't know what his philosophy is at the major league level. I hear him talk a lot about strikeouts (for hitters), which I have no problem with when scouting amateurs. It's not as big a deal with major leaguers.
    Matt Laporta boy that was a guy who got a lot of hype who was never any good really
    Crazy Reds Fan

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Matt Laporta boy that was a guy who got a lot of hype who was never any good really
    And Jack Z turned out to be a hot mess as a GM.
    Stick to your guns.

Does anybody know how Littlefield has been perceived in Detroit? I've seen very little press about his tenure there. He's an easy target due to some of the moves he made while running the Pirates. In fairness, whether he's a good fit for the Mets probably has a lot to do with whether he's 10 years wiser or 10 years more stubborn.
    I saw Al Avila speak highly of him and how he's a true "leader" but I also saw a 2001 article from when the Pirates hired him that said the same thing. Also he got a promotion under Avila and it's not like the Tigers have been the toast of baseball front offices since Dombrowski got canned.

I think it's fair to wonder if someone like Littlefield could be better his second time around but when you're as aggressively bad as he was the first time around it seems really hard to justify giving him any more rope. When someone like Kim Ng still hasn't been a GM, you have to figure there are better, new options out there.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-21-2018),The Operator (10-22-2018)

Turn Off Ads?