Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCoy on Shearn

McCoy on Shearn

I hope the Reds FO isn't buying any of this.

Shearn proves to be more than stopgap for Reds
    The 30-year-old rookie has created a future for himself in the Reds' pitching rotation.

By Hal McCoy

Friday, September 07, 2007

CINCINNATI Tom Shearn came out of nowhere, out of a trailer door where he was living behind the center-field wall at Louisville's Slugger Field.

He was selected to pitch a game for the Cincinnati Reds on an emergency basis because, well, there was nobody left but Mr. Red or Gapper.
    And Shearn is still here, a 30-year-old rookie who had made 352 minor-league appearances before getting his chance in the big leagues.

It was expected he would take his one-game beating and slink off into the night, taking with him the chance to tell his grandkids, "Hey, I pitched a game in the major leagues."

But that first game, Aug. 26 against Florida, was a brow-raiser seven innings, three runs and a 9-3 victory. OK, so it was Florida. At least it earned him a second start, this time against the more potent St. Louis Cardinals.

He didn't win, but he could have. He turned over a 5-3 lead to the bullpen, but Eddie Guardado gave up a grand slam to Rick Ankiel, and the Reds lost 8-5.

Next it was the powerful New York Mets, and Shearn was cutting-edge sharp no runs and three hits over six innings in a 7-0 win.

The leaves him with a 2-0 record and 3.12 earned-run average. He is as much a part of the rotation for the rest of the year as Aaron Harang, and Shearn has put himself into consideration for next year's rotation.

"What I liked about him from Day 1 was that he is fearless, not one bit afraid, even though he is a rookie," said Reds manager Pete Mackanin. "Maybe it is because he is older and spent so much time in the minors."

Maybe he is just good.

Shearn, though, isn't cocky and isn't gloating. If anything, he doesn't quite believe all this is happening to him.

After beating the Mets, Shearn gave more credit to catcher Javier Valentin than to himself and thanked Mets manager Willie Randolph for keeping five of his regulars resting on the bench.

"Javy called a great game," said Shearn. "He knew all the hitters, especially since his brother (Jose) plays for them, so I figured he should know 'em all, and I went with what he called."

Shearn laughed when asked about facing a first-place team and said, "It was nerve-wracking, especially watching them the night before and seeing that lineup they throw out there. I was hoping some of them got a day off, and a bunch of 'em did."

But he made a quick admission.

"In my first three games, the only time I was star-struck was when I saw Albert Pujols walk to the plate," he said.

Shearn walked Pujols the first time, then struck him out looking and got him to pop to shortstop.

When it was pointed out to Shearn that most teams haven't seen him, he said, "Yeah, thank God for that, and I'm waiting for the day they catch up with my 68-miles-an-hour curveball. Hopefully, they just watch it for the rest of the year."

Shearn isn't greedy. He'd love to pitch in the rotation next year, but he'll take anything that involves wearing a major-league uniform.

"I hope I finish strong and if they go out and get some pitching maybe they'll look at me as a long man out of the bullpen," he said. "I hope I've opened some eyes so I can come into spring training next year and be given a chance to win a job."
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy on Shearn

Shearn is a nice guy to have down in Louisville as injury insurance.

NO! The Shearnses burns us! It burns us!
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Well, at least Hal dates himself with such an article. That looked like some of the tripe that used to get written by the local guys back in the day. Shearn is a great story, but should not be mentioned as anything more than a darkhorse for the 5th starter or long relief, just to be polite for the few good outings so far.

Seems like a nice guy and has paid his dues, however, his only role moving forward would be long relief.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

at this point Im for anyone stepping up after a yearlong look at this staff

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

He'll get smacked around eventually, and this story will be over as quickly as it started.

Shearn couldn't have gotten a win against the Cardinals, he only went 4.1 innings.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

After watching him pitch a few times, I like Shearn better than Dumatrait, Ramirez, Saarloos and even better than Livingston. I do think once teams have seen him, he could get knocked around. However, I think as a 5th guy, he may be alright.

His stuff is BRUTAL. I don't know how he has made it this far without getting crushed. I think it is really all in the Alabama Breakdown (love that term). His curve is the only thing keeping him afloat.

I alluded to this in another thread.

For next year the reds problem right now is they have Harang, Arroyo and....a bunch of guys who need to start the season in AAA and earn midseason promotions (Baily, Cueto, Malony). Other than that they have a bunch of guys who really aren't likely to ever see a major league start (Everybody mentioned in fearofpopvol1's post) and two guys who haven't really earned anything more than a look-see for the back end of a five man rotation/long relief job, Matt Belise and Shearn.

I mean....that's doesn't call for a little patch job in the offseason, that's a gaping hole in the organization.

Frankly Hal's right to make happy noises about Shearn. That's what beat writers do.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

The skepticism here is appalling.

I don't think there is any question that Shearn will win 20 games a year for the next 10 years, before retiring at the age of 40 at 200-0.

It will be one the most remarkable things in MLB history since ever. Even people who can remember baseball before performance enhancing drug issues days will agree that Tom Shearn took a back seat to no one during his 30s.

The only thing left to do, really, will be to determine exactly what will be on his plaque at the Hall of Fame. The Cooperstown one. I would imagine it will need to include his seven straight Cy Young awards, or that he was a four-time World Series MVP and the lynch-pin in the Reds' six-peat from 2010-2015.

The only thing that will approach the amazingness of Shearn's run? That Scott Hatteberg and Norris Hopper anchored those same teams with grit and professionalism, made even more amazing by Hatteberg being professional and anchoring 1b (professionally, of course) for this team to the age of 47 while Hopper played both left and center at the same time for the 2011 World Championship team. None of them, according to WLW blowhards, ever appeared to be drunk.

Those are going to be the days.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-07-2007 at 05:30 PM.

I think Shearn said it best in a Fay article (I think), that he hopes he's opened some eyes and he'd be happy to be in the bullpen next year. Let's see what unfolds. If Shearns is anything more than our 5th starter or a spot starter, long man; we're in trouble.

It takes a lot of starters to win a pennant.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    It takes a lot of starters to win a pennant.
    I just glanced at the 1975 and 1976 Reds, we had 8 and 9 different pitchers respectively make starts for the Reds those two years.

Turn Off Ads?