Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The return on Aurilia?

Re: The return on Aurilia?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    AR, it doesn't really matter if he is willing to accept the role as far as picking up his option. If he has a problem with it, then you can trade him and get something in return for him. As for speed off the bench, I think its an overrated thing. How often do you honestly use a pinch runner compared to just needing a guy to get a hit as a pinch hitter?
    Hatty is going to be 38 next season and probably relizes that his days are numbered. What a better way to make 1.5M than to sit on the bench, start a handful of games and pinch hit.

As for speed of the bench I disagree with you doug. I think it is a very underappreciated part of the game. Look at what Dave Roberts did for the Red Sox in the playoffs when they won the world series. In a close game if you got a guy who can steal a bast it puts more pressure on both the pitcher and catcher. A slow runner allows the pitcher to focus solely on the hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Hatty is going to be 38 next season and probably relizes that his days are numbered. What a better way to make 1.5M than to sit on the bench, start a handful of games and pinch hit.

As for speed of the bench I disagree with you doug. I think it is a very underappreciated part of the game. Look at what Dave Roberts did for the Red Sox in the playoffs when they won the world series. In a close game if you got a guy who can steal a bast it puts more pressure on both the pitcher and catcher. A slow runner allows the pitcher to focus solely on the hitter.
    That was 1 play. Sure, it was a big play and in turn helped them win the game.... 4 or 5 innings later. Give me a guy off the bench who will get me a base hit when I need it every time over a guy who will pinch run in a real situation every 20 games.

Speed of the bench is good to have, but that doesn't mean that everyone on the bench has to have speed. The Reds might have Hopper and Freel off the bench in 2008 (with Chris Dickerson a phone call away in AAA). There's your speed. A quality LH PH/spot starter is a great thing to have too.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Speed of the bench is good to have,

Its also about the easiest thing to find in baseball.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...shington.shtml
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?