Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Naehring and Griesser sacked

Naehring and Griesser sacked

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....10335/1035/SPT

Ousters signal shakeup for Reds
    2 already told their time is up
    By C. Trent Rosecrans
    Post staff reporter

Signaling a shakeup in the Reds' developmental staff, assistant director of player development Grant Griesser and minor league field coordinator Tim Naehring have been told they will not be with the organization in 2008.

General manager Wayne Krivsky declined to comment Monday evening and would not confirm or deny any changes in the Reds' organizational staff. But Griesser and Naehring both confirmed that they had been told they would not return.

"This is the time of year, just like with everyone else, we are evaluating," Krivsky said. "The changes that may or may not be made, I'm not in a position to say tonight. I'm not in a position to confirm or deny.

"We're in a time of year - once the minor league seasons are over - where all 29 other clubs are evaluating. At the appropriate time, we'll make the announcement that we feel is appropriate. I cannot confirm or deny anything. When the time is right for us, we will announce things."

Griesser has held his position since November 2000. Griesser said he was told on Monday that he would not be with the team next season and declined further comment.

Naehring spent the 2001-2005 seasons as the Reds' director of player development. A Cincinnati native, he played eight seasons for the Boston Red Sox. As minor league field coordinator, he was the Reds' top-ranking on-field instructor in the minors.

"I know what I brought to the organization for a number of years," Naehring said Monday night. "I'm disappointed. I'm from Cincinnati, I've done a lot for this community, I've done a lot for the Reds. I'm very happy for what the minor leagues were able to do, I'm happy what players I signed personally - like Javier Valentin, Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel - were able to bring to the organization. I'm very happy for Jay Bruce and I thought we had a very good year in the minor leagues."

Since taking over as general manager before the 2006 season, Krivsky has reshaped the Reds' front office. After last season, director of player development and international operations Johnny Almaraz resigned, as did long-time scout Larry Barton Jr., who had harsh words for Krivsky after ending his tenure with the Reds following 38 years.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Naehring and Griesser sacked

Hmmm... The last of the JimBo guys? I think I hear the phone ringing and it is a Washington area code on the caller ID.

On another note... Now we know who liked the "Pete Rose" type players. Maybe Krivs got tired of guys who played the game the right way being on the team. Personally I will take Krivs guys (Phillips, Burton, Hamilton) over Hopper and Freel.
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 09-11-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Will be very interesting to see who they bring in. Can't say I'm surprised by this.

I will say that while I was initially somewhat indifferent to the departure of Almaraz, I've come to the realization that he was an asset (see the development of Cueto and Juan Francisco). So, I'm not making any judgments on Naehring/Griesser for now.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I don't know much about either individual personally, but I've wondered when a further shake-up in the organization would take place. While perhaps some individuals signed have performed decently and even with some of the improvements made in the minors this year, I've wondered about folks who've been here over the years when we haven't produced many feasible options in our minor league system.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post

On another note... Now we know who liked the "Pete Rose" type players. Maybe Krivs got tired of guys who played the game the right way being on the team. Personally I will take Krivs guys (Phillips, Burton, Hamilton) over Hopper and Freel.
    They're all "Krivsky's guys," or else they wouldn't be on the team
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Those long extensions finally ran out. See ya boys!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

It's great to be from Cincinnati, it's great to "do a lot for the community" and all that stuff, but frankly I don't care if a guy's a hermit from Mongolia if he knows how to get players ready for the majors. That hasn't happened so much lately.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I thought of TeamClark when I saw the thread....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I wonder which one was responsible for Dumatrait?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Man Pills

I'm glad these stiffs are gone.

But it all depends on who replaces them.

Looks like a batch of coaches are gone. From the team press notes: Griesser, Naehring, extended spring training coordinator/roving coordinator Rick Burleson, roving hitting instructor Jim Hickman, outfield/baserunning coordinator Lynn Jones, Billings coach Ricardo Cuevas and Chattanooga manager Jayhawk Owens. Also Chattanooga pitching coach Grant Jackson is retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Hmmm... The last of the JimBo guys? I think I hear the phone ringing and it is a Washington area code on the caller ID.
    There are still more from the JimBo era. Just haven't dug that deep, or low on the totem pole yet.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Sounds to me like Wayne is firmly in charge around here.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Jayhwak Owens deserves better. His name is too cool to be fired. Imagine him as manager. You have to respect a guy names Jayhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder which one was responsible for Dumatrait?
    Well we know who was responsible for calling him up, and for giving him more then 1 start
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?