Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Neyer: Computers calling Balls and Strikes!

Threaded View

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Neyer: Computers calling Balls and Strikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Well, the game is steeped in history, especially historical statistics (much more so than tennis). Those statisitics were influenced by human umpires. Take the human umpires out of the equation, and suddenly statistics will start to change. We'll have ushered in a new era, sure, but we'll also have burned a bridge in terms of the history of the game.
    I don't think it would alter stats any moreso than integrating baseball, introducing a DH, or lowering the mound. I suspect the players would adapt pretty quickly to a more standard strike-zone.

I kind of see this like comparing live music to a digitally mastered recording. Sure, you can use technology to remove all the fret buzzes and missed notes, but some of us actually like the idea that there's a human performing who can potentially make a mistake.
    IMO thats a great argument for not replacing the players with robots, but it doesn't do much to sway me on the umpires.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 09-11-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Turn Off Ads?