Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Neyer: Computers calling Balls and Strikes!

Re: Neyer: Computers calling Balls and Strikes!

Without looking it up I believe that the strike zone is defined as "....when the batter takes his normal stance...". I have to believe that technology could be developed (if it hasn't been already) that would image a batter just before each pitch and outline his strikezone for that at bat or even by each pitch.

When cameras were suggested for tennis I was all for it. Overall, tennis linesmen and umpires do a good job, much as baseball umpires do, but they are not perfect. Using the cameras gave the game greater validity and the feeling that the player that won did so by merit and not some mistaken call. It took awhile but tennis 'got it' and, I hope, so will baseball.

I'm probably thought of as 'old school' around here but this is one thing that I think would greatly increase the interest and value of the game. A consistant strikezone would level the playing field and more likely award victory to the team that performed the best without the input of an arbitrary (and perhaps biased) third party that never touches the ball during the play on the field.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Would you be saying that if the 97 Braves had been the 97 Reds instead? If an umpire ever pulled on the Reds what Eric Gregg (may he RIP) pulled onthe 97 Braves, I don't think there would be many here who would argue against a system that removed biases and reduced errors.
    Maybe, maybe not.

But the Braves' pitchers were so successful thanks in part to the umps adding an extra inch or three to their strike zones.

If we were Braves fans instead of Reds fans, we probably wouldn't be pulling so hard for precision.

Oh, and I finally thought of a better counterpoint to M2's card analogy: every game is played with the same 52-card deck, but occasionally certain cards are wild.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 09-13-2007 at 01:06 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Without looking it up I believe that the strike zone is defined as "....when the batter takes his normal stance...".
    It's not measured from his stance, but from "as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

I realize that's open to interpretation, but I interpret this to mean the split second when the batter decides to swing or not swing.

In other words, Pete Rose and Rickey Henderson should not have been given the benefit of being in a goofy crouch.

Here's a history of the strike zone rule over time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...trike_zone.jsp
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Without looking it up I believe that the strike zone is defined as "....when the batter takes his normal stance...". I have to believe that technology could be developed (if it hasn't been already) that would image a batter just before each pitch and outline his strikezone for that at bat or even by each pitch.

When cameras were suggested for tennis I was all for it. Overall, tennis linesmen and umpires do a good job, much as baseball umpires do, but they are not perfect. Using the cameras gave the game greater validity and the feeling that the player that won did so by merit and not some mistaken call. It took awhile but tennis 'got it' and, I hope, so will baseball.

I'm probably thought of as 'old school' around here but this is one thing that I think would greatly increase the interest and value of the game. A consistant strikezone would level the playing field and more likely award victory to the team that performed the best without the input of an arbitrary (and perhaps biased) third party that never touches the ball during the play on the field.

Rem
    I agree. The rules say the distance from the pitching rubber to home plate is sixty feet, six inches. The distance between the bases is ninety feet. Just as these rules are always enforced so should be the strikezone.

If you want to install tennis-style electronic eyes on the foul lines and home run line, I'm all for that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Well, in the game thread I did ask if we could get this for checked swings.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?