Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will never forget...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

We will never forget...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We will never forget...

I remember I was in English class in the 6th grade when it happened. Sad event
    Most Vottomatic Player

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was in college...I was asleep because I didn't have class until 1:30 that day.

I woke up and had no clue that it happened...a strange message from my mother was on the answering machine about "knowing what was going on in the world." I shrugged it off...I thought she was just having a "moment."

My roommate got out of the shower, and told me to turn on the TV, because he think he knows what my mom meant.

At that moment so did I....I was stunned. I didn't know what to say or what to do.

It's still hard to believe it was real.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I was as far away as you can be from it all.

We were (family and I) in a place called San Juan de las Galdonas, on the Paria Peninsula in remote eastern Venezuela.
    End of the road kind of place. Beach, sea, virgin jungle..
    There was A tv in the hotel (none in the rooms) where we saw the events (on replay).

The significance of it didn't register until we returned to Caracas a week later.
    It was like we had been on Mars and the world had changed in the meantime.

Tragic.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Driving in SE Indiana making sales calls. Listening to Howard Stern. He suddenly started talking about a plane crashing into the WTC. At first they thought it was a little Cesna or something. I called my boss to tell him to turn on the TV in his office but he thought I was goofing around.

Suddenly Howard got very serrious. Say what you want about Stern, but he handled 911 very well IMO (at least the parts I remember). I called my mom and she watched on TV while I listened to the radio. We were swaping bits of info as they became available. By that time the 2nd plane had hit and all hell broke loose. We kept swaping news updates and then she cried out, "Oh my god, Ltlabner, the building is falling". I've never heard my mother with that tone of voice before.

Long story short, the few sales calls I made that day were basically talking about the latest news updates on what had happened.

The next day our company hosted a golf outing in Indy. During the day a tornado warning siren when off. We were all wondering "what now".

Definatley a surreal day.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I was in FBI HQ in downtown Washington. Pure chaos--I went to get my kids out of day care and we proceeded to sit in traffic for a couple of hours listening to the radio, wondering how many planes there were exactly. And there were rumors everywhere.

I hope I never live through something like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Suddenly Howard got very serrious. Say what you want about Stern, but he handled 911 very well IMO (at least the parts I remember).
    As a long-time Howard listener, I can say without any hesitation that that broadcast was one of the reasons his popularity has transcended all demographics.

Not to make light of the situation that day, but it was hysterical when they were on the air and could not locate KC Armstrong in the studio. They were all beginning to worry about him until they discovered that he panicked and fled the studio without telling anyone as much. The ribbing that he endured until his departure was delicious.

By the way, I had just landed in a private plane and was stranded in the middle of the runway at Jacksonville International Airport when it all went down in NYC and DC. Getting the hell out of the airport and into a rental car made the next 2-3 hours incredibly crazy. If I were ever to write a book, that day's odyssey would be a chapter by itself.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I was in Mrs. Fuson's 5th grade science class, sitting in the middle row of tables, 3rd table back, on the left side. Our Principal came over the PA and said what happened, I had no idea what it meant, as I was only 10. All I was worrying about was that since they turned the TV in the classroom on and all we could see was two pictures with smoke, one in NYC and the other in DC, I went out to recess to see if I could see the smoke too.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Brandon Buchanan was a 24 year old bond trader at Canter Fitzgerald. He was engaged to be married in April of 2002. A recent graduate of Dartmouth, he was learning his craft with the idea of returning to his hometown of Rochester, N.Y. and opening a small brokerage with his father, a Vice President with Merrill Lynch.

He was at his desk that morning, a floor or two above where the first plane struck the tower. He was listed as 'missing' for days but everyone knew that he was likely never to be found. Most likely he wasn't killed by the crash but rather by the smoke or the fire. He had his entire life ahead of him----but it ended with a cowardly, dispicable act.

Brandon Buchanan was my cousin.

Rem

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I was in college...I was asleep because I didn't have class until 1:30 that day.

I woke up and had no clue that it happened...a strange message from my mother was on the answering machine about "knowing what was going on in the world." I shrugged it off...I thought she was just having a "moment."

My roommate got out of the shower, and told me to turn on the TV, because he think he knows what my mom meant.

At that moment so did I....I was stunned. I didn't know what to say or what to do.

It's still hard to believe it was real.
    I'm kind of freaked out. Word for word, this was my experience, too (except I think my class was at 2:00).

They don't let you forget out here. Security throughout the capital was unreal. I was driving down 14th street last night and had to pass through not one, but two security checkpoints where a DHS officer wanded a flashlight through my car. Thomas Circle is, apparently, a top terrorist target. Who knew?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Anyone else get really angry when you think about this?

We had to watch a short clip today in my Homeland Security class. It showed the fire department command post which was in the WTC (why the command post was in the targeted area is a whole 'nother topic), and every so often you would hear a very loud crashing noise... bodies that had jumped from the WTC.

I just hope and pray that one day we catch Bin Laden along with other terrorist leaders and we catch them alive.

I first heard about the plane in NY from someone on our production floor who was listening to Howard Stern. Since it was Stern, no one was sure if it was true. When word of a second plane came, I found the closest computer (my office was at the other end of the building) and tried every news site but couldn't connect to most since internet traffic was so high. Once I was able to get some verfied information, I called my wife because her sister was in NYC on business that week. Fortunately she was fine. However she had the hardest time getting out of NYC. Ultimately she and some other co-workers were able to get a car rental and drove all the way back to Cincinnati. She no longer works in the same position because of the excessive travel demands but I'm pretty sure that being in NYC on 9/11 had some affect on her as well.

Future Reds All Star TeamMorris's Avatar

It happened about 2 minutes before I dropped my son off at daycare. I was late to work that day because I missed my bus. I just couldn't walk away from the TV. I was in shock!! Once I got to work they told me there was more! Very sad day!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I was living in Colorado Springs at the time and was on my way to work that morning. I had to be at work at 7:30 and it was just a few minutes after 7:00, while I was driving past Fort Carson, that the person on the radio just came on and said that a small plane had flown into the WTC. I thought at the time that it must have been some nut in a Cessna or something, but when I got to work they had the tv on and I just sat there in shock. We didn't get much work done the rest of the day. That whole day was kind of eerie around there with the fighter jets flying overhead throughout the day. That was about the only sound I noticed in town; everything else was so darn quiet. I think for those of us too young to have been around in '62, this has become our "Kennedy" moment, one of those "I remember where I was when" kind of things.

Turn Off Ads?