Let's try to keep this non-political...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/309110060
Cincinnati sets 'green' goals
BY JANE PRENDERGAST | JPRENDERGAST@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us!

The city of Cincinnati will take new steps to be more environmentally friendly.

Mayor Mark Mallory set “efficiency goals” of saving 4 percent on the city’s energy bills in one year, 10 percent in four years.

That 4 percent would equate to $286,000 in savings – and that’s enough, he says, to power 239 homes.

The project will start at the city’s permit center in Clifton, an office where employees have volunteered to see how much they can save by doing things like switching to more efficient light bulbs and turning off lights when they’re not necessary.

“I thought it was important to have a goal,” Mallory said. “You have to give people a target. Otherwise, it can be very difficult to think in terms of global warming.”

Also at the Wednesday morning press conference, he plans to announce that the city’s new Office of Environmental Quality will start a climate protection planning process that seeks input from residents. City Manager Milton Dohoney directed his department directors to develop individual energy management plans to save energy costs. Initial drafts of those plans are due Oct. 31.

Mallory signed on in 2006 to the national Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, a pledge to take positive action to combat global warming. More than 500 officials have signed it, including mayors from Villa Hills, Ky., and Richmond, Ind.
It is not asking for much, but a good start. I have some friends who are working very hard to make Cincinnati a leader in environmentally friendly practices, especially construction, and so far city leaders have been very responsive. I am sure they are stoked about this. Baby steps and positive press will do wonders for them.

This city is not as anti-progress as many would imply.