Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Environment: Cincinnati Making Strides

Porkchop Sandwiches

The Environment: Cincinnati Making Strides

Let's try to keep this non-political...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/309110060
    Cincinnati sets 'green' goals
    BY JANE PRENDERGAST | JPRENDERGAST@ENQUIRER.COM
    E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us!

The city of Cincinnati will take new steps to be more environmentally friendly.

Mayor Mark Mallory set “efficiency goals” of saving 4 percent on the city’s energy bills in one year, 10 percent in four years.

That 4 percent would equate to $286,000 in savings – and that’s enough, he says, to power 239 homes.

The project will start at the city’s permit center in Clifton, an office where employees have volunteered to see how much they can save by doing things like switching to more efficient light bulbs and turning off lights when they’re not necessary.

“I thought it was important to have a goal,” Mallory said. “You have to give people a target. Otherwise, it can be very difficult to think in terms of global warming.”

Also at the Wednesday morning press conference, he plans to announce that the city’s new Office of Environmental Quality will start a climate protection planning process that seeks input from residents. City Manager Milton Dohoney directed his department directors to develop individual energy management plans to save energy costs. Initial drafts of those plans are due Oct. 31.

Mallory signed on in 2006 to the national Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, a pledge to take positive action to combat global warming. More than 500 officials have signed it, including mayors from Villa Hills, Ky., and Richmond, Ind.
    It is not asking for much, but a good start. I have some friends who are working very hard to make Cincinnati a leader in environmentally friendly practices, especially construction, and so far city leaders have been very responsive. I am sure they are stoked about this. Baby steps and positive press will do wonders for them.

This city is not as anti-progress as many would imply.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Environment: Cincinnati Making Strides

It's going to be hard keeping this non-political. A government official, goverment agencies and political agreements are all involved here. Global warming (in particular the theory of "man-made" warming) is a political football that many politicians LOVE to toss around.

That being said, it's nice to hear a mayor talk about improving efficiency. I'm all for saving money. Personally, I believe their motives are based upon a false assumption, but I applaud them for just trying to save taxpayer money.
    Last edited by durl; 09-12-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Certrinally a very reasonable and respnsible first step twoards reducing energy consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Certrinally a very reasonable and respnsible first step twoards reducing energy consumption.
    Ltlabner -- I love you, man, but sometimes your posts require full-out translation I say that sympathy as well as affection -- I'm not a terrific speller myself.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Ltlabner -- I love you, man, but sometimes your posts require full-out translation I say that sympathy as well as affection -- I'm not a terrific speller myself.
    Hehehe.

I am a horrable speller to begin with.

And that post was pecked out on my Motorola Q phone between sales calls so it took horrable to all new levels of suckatude.

I can spell, but I can think too. your posts are fine with me!

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    It's going to be hard keeping this non-political. A government official, goverment agencies and political agreements are all involved here. Global warming (in particular the theory of "man-made" warming) is a political football that many politicians LOVE to toss around.

I agree. EVERYTHING'S political. End the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    That being said, it's nice to hear a mayor talk about improving efficiency. I'm all for saving money. Personally, I believe their motives are based upon a false assumption, but I applaud them for just trying to save taxpayer money.
    There you go, something for everybody. Saving money and oil all at the same time.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?