Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Mann's Nike Commercial

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Michael Mann's Nike Commercial

Michael Mann (director of such movies as Collateral, The Insider, and Last of the Mohicans) directed this new spot for Nike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55BZ2gSsSmY

This is probably one of the coolest commercials I've seen in a long time. As a means of advertising or pushing product for Nike, it falls flat -- but it succeeds brilliantly at being 1 minute of damn good television.

Definitely worth a watch if you didn't see it this past weekend during the NFL games.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michael Mann's Nike Commercial

That commercial has caught my eyes a few times over the weekend - a most well-done commercial indeed.
    Mann directing it explains the soundtrack, which comes from Last of the Mohicans (took me a few viewings before I was able to make the connection - I believe it was used near the end where Hawkeye and Uncas are chasing Magua along a cliff side).
    The transitions from play to play are very well done.

I saw this on MNF last night and mentioned to my friend it was probably the best commercial we saw all night...pretty cool.

I think it is very effective as a commercial - and yes, it is lovely. I love the irish music.. I wish I could place that piece...maybe a Braveheart cue? not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I think it is very effective as a commercial - and yes, it is lovely. I love the irish music.. I wish I could place that piece...maybe a Braveheart cue? not sure.
    Last of the Mohicans - a Mann film.

Ummm...no love for Miami Vice?!?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Very rarely do I go to a movie because of the director. Michael Mann is a must see no matter what (Clint Eastwood is now that way for me as well).

Collateral -with the exception of the last 30 minutes- is a close to perfect movie.

Great commercial.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-12-2007 at 11:15 AM.

I'm not sure if you need a subscription to see this, but here's the spot, including full credits.
    Makes all the routine posts.

He forgot to add the clip where Merriman is juicing up. Other that that it was a pretty cool comercial.

I fully expected to see Shawn Merriman appear at the end, snatch the ball out of Jackson's outstretched hand, and proceed to run the entire length of the field once again...

...only to have the ball knocked loose at the goal line by an enraged Steven Jackson, who scoops up the fumble and proceeds to run the entire length...........
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....

Well, that, and a shout out for the movie Manhunter. Not only was this my favorite screen adaptation of Hannibal Lecter, but it was also the best use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in any motion picture.

"Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....

Well, that, and a shout out for the movie Manhunter. Not only was this my favorite screen adaptation of Hannibal Lecter, but it was also the best use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in any motion picture.

Manhunter was absolutely awesome.

The actor who played Francis Dolarhyde (Tom Noonan) must have made friends with William Peterson, because he showed up on an episode of CSI a few years ago. He was still exceedingly creepy.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I have plenty of love for that film.

Earlier than that, he had done a rather good, moody film called Thief, with James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Willie Nelson, Dennis Farina, James Belushi, and William Peterson. A nice little soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Manhunter was absolutely awesome.

The actor who played Francis Dolarhyde (Tom Noonan) must have made friends with William Peterson, because he showed up on an episode of CSI a few years ago. He was still exceedingly creepy.

Ahh. Manhunter. Awesome movie.

The movie with Hannibal Lecter, before Silence of the Lambs.

A few years later in another Michael Mann movie, Heat, I noticed both seriel killers from Manhunter (Tom Noonan - Francis Dolarhyde) and Silence of the Lambs (Ted Levine - Jame 'Buffalo Bill' Gumb) present. Those two were two of the more disturbing characters and frightening movies I have ever seen. Another cop present in Heat was Wes Studi, who played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.

By the way, as a kid Friday nights WERE Miami Vice. That was at least until my junior year of HS, when girls and partying became more important. No DVR, but at least we had the VHS.

Turn Off Ads?