Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Get used to this lineup, you'll see it a lot in 2008...

Get used to this lineup, you'll see it a lot in 2008...

From tonight's Boxscore:

J. Hamilton cf
    N. Hopper cf
    A. Gonzalez ss
    J. Keppinger ss
    K. Griffey Jr. rf
    B. Phillips 2b
    A. Dunn lf
    E. Encarnacion 3b
    J. Votto 1b
    J. Valentin c

add under Valentin:
    D. Ross c

and you've got 90% of the lineup that we should run out there EVERY DAY - outside of the tough lefties, when you might rest/sit a Hamilton/Dunn/Griffey/Votto.
    * obviously it doesn't show the indent here, but you play Hopper OR Hamilton(or Freel, or Keppinger) in CF, and Gonzo/Kepp at SS

Personally, I'd rather see someone other than Gonzo in the 2 hole when Keppinger isn't Super-Subbing for someone because Kepp makes the IDEAL #2 hitter, contact, some power, good average, takes pitches, etc. Earlier in the year I would have said BP, but he's hitting for too much power, so that's the problem, nobody really is an ideal #2 other than Gonzo - who you going to put there? EE, Votto? They're not suited for that either.

In 2009 you take Jr's slot out, and move BP to #3, Dunn to #4, and maybe put a Bruce or Votto in at #5. Probably EE gets it for awhile due to his Seniority.

How great would it be to have some combination of EE/Votto/Bruce batting 5/6/7 behind Dunn - instead of the also-rans we've had out there this year. It was too easy to walk Dunn and face EE, well with his resurgence and batting two guys with 25+ HR power behind him, you're not going to see that crap anymore. That's going to be a SERIOUSLY powerful lineup. Factor in the ~$15M+ or so you've saved by replacing Hatty/Conine/Jr with guys making league minimum, and you can get yourself a pretty good SP in the 2008 FA pool...

The future's so bright...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Get used to this lineup, you'll see it a lot in 2008...

add Cantu's name under Votto?
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyRedsFan View Post
    add Cantu's name under Votto?
    Yep, you can play Cantu on Votto rest days, and/or versus tough lefties...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

boy oh boy am i getting a little excited for next year
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Now all we need to do is bring in another righthanded outfielder to play against lefties and sit Junior on those days. I bet he'd love that. Hehehe.
    Who's on first?

When are people going to understand---- it's all about the pitching. Unless we add two more decent starters and a couple of dependeable bridgemen, we could trot the '27 Yankees out there and we will still finish under .500.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 09-12-2007 at 11:25 PM.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

just 2 starters who can be somewhat reliable and were golden. bullpen will dominate next year mark my words. lineup is ridiculous... just need 2 starters

phil3dog

great but trade gonzo & hatteburg for pitching starters

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

^^ exactly my thoughts. i love both of em but we need to have a plan, and they, with their ages, dont fit in the plan

phil3dog

i like kepp & votto youth mixed with vets

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    When are people going to understand---- it's all about the pitching. Unless we add two more decent starters and a couple of dependeable bridgemen, we could trot the '27 Yankees out there and we will still finish under .500.

Quite true, but unless you're the '07 Yankees, you can't just go out and add 2 "decent" starters in the 2007 FA pool...

We have Jr's $16.5M option to NOT take in 2009, so in the meantime you Build a lineup with ONE guy making over $5M (Dunn) who brings you 40/100/100/100 and an OPS of .900 - and 5 guys making league Minimum/1/2/3/1yr Arb yr salaries (Bruce, Votto, Hamilton, EE, BP) who are all capable of putting .280-.300 averages 25+HR's, speed, etc.. to an everyday lineup. Add to that a Veteran SS with above average D who is capable of putting up 20 HR's himself, a couple Decent Catchers, and a SuperSub who can play just about every position besides Catcher, a right handed slugging 1B-man, and 8 young and cheap bullpen arms and you've got a decent nucleus to build around.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 09-13-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Now all we need to do is bring in another righthanded outfielder to play against lefties and sit Junior on those days. I bet he'd love that. Hehehe.
    Thinking the same thing, but Jay Bruce is a lefty as well. I'm sure we'll be giving him a look next year.

Reds REALLY lack right handed OF's. Aside from Hopper, Kepp can play out there, but nobody solid we can pencil in.

Quote Originally Posted by RiSK View Post
    Thinking the same thing, but Jay Bruce is a lefty as well. I'm sure we'll be giving him a look next year.

Reds REALLY lack right handed OF's. Aside from Hopper, Kepp can play out there, but nobody solid we can pencil in.
    We got this guy named Farney who can play OF in a pinch...

I still think it's total pooey to worry about this RH OF-er stuff. I'd like to string our BEST HITTERS in a row - which someday soon could be Hamilton/Votto/Dunn/Bruce - and worry when we have a 5 run lead when they bring in a left-hander bullpen guy.

If we've got Keppinger, Freel, Cantu, and Hopper, we can supplement the really bad match-ups versus tough Lefty Starters. That's like once or twice a month at most.

I don't think Bruce has a problem hitting lefties though, it's really only Hamilton and Votto who currently struggle versus lefties. Dunn isn't that much off his career averages as you would think versus lefties (.240 v .250 versus righties) - about the same as KGJ for career - so I don't think you worry about him that much. In the meantime we AB-SO-LUTE-LY CRUSH RHP's which make up about 80% of your games...

You don't NOT keep your young Power Guys just because they are all predominately Left Handed. BP, EE, and Gonzo provide enough RH pop in your lineup, just because Farney and Bunt-hit Hopper are your only RH OF-ers shouldn't be a reason not to extend Dunn, and keep playing Hamilton (currently batting near .350 at the top of the lineup) and playing KGJ until Bruce is ready.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?