Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terry Ryan out as Minnesota GM

Terry Ryan out as Minnesota GM

Wow...

MINNEAPOLIS -- Terry Ryan's tenure as general manager of the Minnesota Twins is coming to an end.

The 52-year-old Ryan will step down after 12 seasons. The Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing three unnamed sources with the team, first reported the story on its Web site. The Twins have called a news conference for Thursday afternoon to announce a "major" reorganization of their baseball operations.

Team spokesman Mike Herman wouldn't discuss details when reached by The Associated Press, which is also reporting Ryan's ouster.

Longtime assistant GM Bill Smith will succeed Ryan, the Star Tribune reported. Smith has been club vice president/assistant GM for the last 13 of his 22 seasons with the organization.

The Twins won the AL Central title last season -- their fourth division crown in the last six years -- but they are currently 72-74 and out of the playoff chase.

Ryan has long been highly regarded throughout baseball for his work in crafting a contender with a limited payroll. The Twins have received several awards for Organization of the Year this decade, but Ryan began to take some heat this year for the signings of some unproductive veterans and failures to lock up some of the team's stars to long-term contracts.

Assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky, who was long lauded for his behind-the-scenes work as Ryan's right-hand man, left before last season to take over as Cincinnati's general manager.

Krivsky was never replaced, though director of baseball operations Rob Antony added "contracts" to his title earlier this year and became more involved with Smith in negotiating with players' agents.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire signed an extension last fall that takes his contract through 2009. He was golfing Thursday morning, according to his wife, and didn't immediately return a call from AP.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Terry Ryan out as Minnesota GM

Do you think BCast would want to try to go after Ryan (as bizzare as that would be)?

Holy cow.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I bet Krivsky is on the phone with him right now

Krivsky to the Twins, Jocketty to the Reds?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

They need a new look. Ryan's too cautious.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Krivsky to the Twins, Jocketty to the Reds?
    Krivsky's too cautious too. I'm think Minny's looking for a genuine postseason push.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Perhaps that partially explains that timing of yesterday's front office moves....

I wonder why Ryan decided to leave. He's not exactly of retiring age.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Krivsky's too cautious too. I'm think Minny's looking for a genuine postseason push.
    I don't know. Carl Pohlad's mostly looking for other people's money. I'd think it's just as likely Ryan's the one who was arguing for a genuine postseason push in previous seasons and now he wants out before he has to deal off Johan Santana.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Do you think BCast would want to try to go after Ryan (as bizzare as that would be)?
    I'd love for the Reds to add him to Special K's team...who knows, maybe Special K knew something was going on when he let go the others from the FO so that Ryan can join the team in some capacity.

Ohhh...this would be good.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'm smelling "Special Assistant"
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm smelling "Special Assistant"
    Your lips to Gods ears!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know. Carl Pohlad's mostly looking for other people's money. I'd think it's just as likely Ryan's the one who was arguing for a genuine postseason push in previous seasons and now he wants out before he has to deal off Johan Santana.
    Ryan's not made postseason pushes when the budget for doing so was even more propitious than it is now. I doubt that's Pohlad.

I honestly think Ryan's a hoarder. And stubborn as hell. There is no reason he couldn't have afforded to send off an arm for some offensive punch this deadline. There was nothing at all standing in his way to make a push. I think he chose not to--looking instead to a future that might not come.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Ryan's not made postseason pushes when the budget for doing so was even more propitious than it is now. I doubt that's Pohlad.

I honestly think Ryan's a hoarder. And stubborn as hell. There is no reason he couldn't have afforded to send off an arm for some offensive punch this deadline. There was nothing at all standing in his way to make a push. I think he chose not to--looking instead to a future that might not come.
    Well, there is one reason why he might not have done that - tightwad owner who won't pay for any extras.

You might be right, but if there was pressure from above to carpe diem then I'd think Ryan would have been coaxed into dealing for more than Shannon Stewart over the years.

Meanwhile Carl Pohlad wants a new stadium on the taxpayer dime and it's entirely possible that the message he wants to send is "This is as close as we can get in the Metrodome."
    Last edited by M2; 09-13-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Would you want to be known as the GM who had to trade Johan Santana b/c your organization deemed him out of their price range?

Would you want to be known as the GM who let Johan Santana walk to FA with nothing in return?

I can't imagine Terry Ryan wants either of those two events on his resume.

Turn Off Ads?