Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shearn again

Shearn again

Tom Shearn again. For a guy with "nothing" as many on the board have criticized, he sure keeps pitching decently. I'm a fan of his - the guy knows how to pitch using what he has - or as some might say, what he doesn't have. He's aggressive, doesn't pitch 'cute', and is making the most of his opportunity. Am I crazy enough to think he'll be as successful a second ad third time through the league? Nope. But I do think he'll be a better 5th starter option than Livingston or Dumatrait, or some dreck acquisition like Saarloos. The more he starts the more he looks like a viable option. Call it smoke, mirrors, or claim its simply his first time against teams but I can't help rooting for the guy. If Maloney, Bailey and Cueto can produce a solid starter among them then the Reds may be able to put together a decent rotation with one GOOD acquisition in the off-season.

Lambast Shearn, I enjoy it all the more every time he wins.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Shearn again

Right now Shearn has been getting by based on a string of luck. I`m very happy for the guy, and he is without a doubt a step up from guys like Dumatrait. But it`s going to blow up in his face eventually.

He is an an easy guy to root for, but he's no different than the Saarloos/Ramirez types. I think Livingston was the one guy from the dreck that was a cut above. Given time Shearn will fade. He's just not going to succeed with a 1.44 K/BB.

At this point, and I think Shearn would agree, I'd be okay with him being a long guy out of the pen and a spot starter next season. I like what I've seen thus far, but am hoping to have a more solid rotation next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Right now Shearn has been getting by based on a string of luck. I`m very happy for the guy, and he is without a doubt a step up from guys like Dumatrait. But it`s going to blow up in his face eventually.

He is an an easy guy to root for, but he's no different than the Saarloos/Ramirez types. I think Livingston was the one guy from the dreck that was a cut above. Given time Shearn will fade. He's just not going to succeed with a 1.44 K/BB.
    Agreed. That .228 BABIP screams of luck. I want the guy to do well, I just prefer it to be in long relief with a spot start every now and then if he's with the team next year.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Proof positive that good things happen to good people. I like the fact that his big league checks for Sept total more than he made as a minor leaguer this year. Good for him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I could agree with Shearn spot starting and in a long relief role as his probable best situation. Belisle needs to make a step forward with his consistency and take the 4th rotation spot. Either Maloney, Bailey or Cueto taking the 5th spot and the Reds need one good SP acquisition to have a competitive rotation. Actually, if Livingston can make it back and Shearn continues to pitch "lucky" (I happen to think it's more a case of simply pitching with an idea - amazing how that can get guys with less talent by when guys with a lot more 'stuff' get creamed) the Reds could have a pretty solid BP next year as well. Sometimes, when I read RedsZone I just get the feeling people expect 5 Harangs - it ain't gonna happen, and nobody has that 1 through 5 quality. The Reds need 1 more guy as good as Arroyo, preferably closer to Harang and there are youngsters and guys like Shearn and Livingston and Belisle that can make the back end of the rotation pretty solid. Healthy seasons by Bray, another good year by Weathers, continued improvement from Burton and Coutlangus and the Reds suddenly don't look so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Tom Shearn again. For a guy with "nothing" as many on the board have criticized, he sure keeps pitching decently. I'm a fan of his - the guy knows how to pitch using what he has - or as some might say, what he doesn't have. He's aggressive, doesn't pitch 'cute', and is making the most of his opportunity. Am I crazy enough to think he'll be as successful a second ad third time through the league? Nope. But I do think he'll be a better 5th starter option than Livingston or Dumatrait, or some dreck acquisition like Saarloos. The more he starts the more he looks like a viable option. Call it smoke, mirrors, or claim its simply his first time against teams but I can't help rooting for the guy. If Maloney, Bailey and Cueto can produce a solid starter among them then the Reds may be able to put together a decent rotation with one GOOD acquisition in the off-season.

I don't think people on here are lambasting him. Alot, including myself, are glad to see the guy get a shot. But they are realistically looking at the fact that the guy has spent 12 years in the minors and is a 30 yr old "rookie". There is a reason for that, and I don't believe it's because he has somehow been overlooked.

I'm glad for the guy. But the only reason he got that shot was because of the shape of our farm system pitching and there just wasn't much else to choose from. He was it.

But he has pitched admirably. Not great stuff; but has been able to locate his pitches.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Shearn reminds me a lot of Steve Parris. A long time minor leaguer. Missed time with injuries. Alternated between starting and the pen and basically was thought of as a non-prospect. Eventually a chance came and he worked out. Great story, but eventually you'll get burned counting on him. He's ok as a guy for the mix. Nithing more.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

1. There aren't good options viable to acquire via FA for this off-season.

2. The Reds aren't going to contend in 2008, regardless of one "good" acquisition.

3. Shearn is a back off the rotation (at best) or mop up guy. I'm glad he's made the most of his time and experience in Cincinnati, but he's not a good long-term answer/solution.

4. If we attempt to obtain a "good" acquisition via trade, who do we trade, and what realistic return do we get?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm sure he's a great guy, but his ERA is as low as it is because he's been pretty darn lucky. It's really that simple. He's part of the Chris Michilak crew and doesn't really do anything particularly well. He's given up a homer and half per 9, striking out few, and walking too many. Give him more innings, and the ERA will rise.

When Parris was decent, his K/9 was over 6 and he wasn't allowing many homers.

He is what he is. A guy who you keep in AAA and give a spot start too on occasion when you're in trouble. He's no part of a starting day opening rotation.

I'm thrilled for him personally that he's getting his 15 minutes. Let's just not proclaim him the next solid option.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm standing by my prediction that he will finish his career 200-0.

And, in all seriousness, he's not the worst pitcher the Reds have ever run out there at the tail end of their rotation...

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

(I happen to think it's more a case of simply pitching with an idea - amazing how that can get guys with less talent by when guys with a lot more 'stuff' get creamed)
    No it's really not. Please list the players that have managed to have a .230 BAPIP over an extended period.

This is not a skill by Shearn. Pure luck. It won't continue, and Shearn will struggle.

Who's lambasting Shearn? I've certainly not seen it. I think the worst people have said is that he's not likely to be a long term solution for the Reds' rotation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm sure he's a great guy, but his ERA is as low as it is because he's been pretty darn lucky. It's really that simple. He's part of the Chris Michilak crew and doesn't really do anything particularly well. He's given up a homer and half per 9, striking out few, and walking too many. Give him more innings, and the ERA will rise.

When Parris was decent, his K/9 was over 6 and he wasn't allowing many homers.

He is what he is. A guy who you keep in AAA and give a spot start too on occasion when you're in trouble. He's no part of a starting day opening rotation.

I'm thrilled for him personally that he's getting his 15 minutes. Let's just not proclaim him the next solid option.
    I pretty much agree. I will say this though, he is a better option than Phil Dumatrait and a better option than Kirk Saarloos. He's better than Chris Michalek was. Better than Sun Woo Kim, Better than Jason Johnson or Jeff Austin. Better than quite a few guys the Reds have run out there the last few years.

I don't count on him and I don't hand him a spot, but if the competition falters in Spring I have no problem sending them down and opening the year with Shearn. Of course the best option is to acquire a couple solid guys so that the "competition" isn't even necessary.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

The best thing about Shearn is that he may stay the hand of those who'd rush the true propsects.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?