Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

  1. #1
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Neil Young has a new album coming out.

    Neil Young
    Chrome Dreams II
    Out October 16th
    The original "Chrome Dreams" was a 1977 album Neil Young scrapped at the last minute (most of the songs -- including "Powderfinger" and "Like a Hurricane" -- made it onto his next few records, some in different form). The sequel is the result of an impromptu session this summer in Northern California, with pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith, bassist Rick Rosas and Crazy Horse drummer Ralph Molina. Eight of the ten tracks are new, and cover the gamut of Young styles, from Harvest-ish country ("Beautiful Bluebird") to cracked ballads ("Shining Light") and sloppy rave-ups ("Dirty Old Man"). The standout for many fans, though, will be an epic song from 1988: the eighteen-minute "Ordinary People," which sounds like "Cortez the Killer" with horns. Catch the tunes live later this fall, when Young and company will take the album on the road.


    You can listen to the the track "Ordinary People" here.

    If you're a fan of Neil's electric stuff you'll like this one.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    I actually like Neil when he doesn't sing much. His voice is hideous but he's still a talented musician when it comes to guitar and harmonica.

  4. #3
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,007

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I actually like Neil when he doesn't sing much. His voice is hideous but he's still a talented musician when it comes to guitar and harmonica.
    30 years ago my father walked into my room and asked me whilst I listened to a Neil album, "Does that guy have a stomach ache or what?"

    I love Neil Young's voice, it's the background music to a large part my life.

  5. #4
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Perhaps I am a mutation, but I think Young has a very lovely voice. "Heart of Gold" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever recorded.

  6. #5
    La Dolce Vita
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,764

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    I love his voice, too.

    Over the weekend I saw Sarah Polley's beautiful "Away From Her" about a man losing his wife to Alzheimer's, and Neil's haunting voice (Harvest Moon, which is my favorite) on a car radio is an emotional centerpiece in the film.
    teach tolerance.

  7. #6
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,272

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    I wasn't a huge fan of Neil's in his earlier days (CSN+Y and earlier). I made fun of all the sensitive types in the dorm that listened to Neil like a religious experience. I wanted to rock out.

    But starting around the Ditch trilogy, I started to get Neil. When I listened to Zuma for 3 days straight, I realized I was hooked. Like woy, the soundtrack to a big chunk of my life.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  8. #7
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,007

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    I love his voice, too.

    Over the weekend I saw Sarah Polley's beautiful "Away From Her" about a man losing his wife to Alzheimer's, and Neil's haunting voice (Harvest Moon, which is my favorite) on a car radio is an emotional centerpiece in the film.
    BTW I got in my fathers car a few years ago and lo and behold... he was listening to Harvest Moon.

    Stomach Ache indeed!!

  9. #8
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,271

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Young's crazy prolific. I sometimes wonder if he hasn't been screaming so much this decade because it's too easy to scream these days. I wonder if this will be where he pops his cork or if this is the prelude to it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #9
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Young's crazy prolific. I sometimes wonder if he hasn't been screaming so much this decade because it's too easy to scream these days. I wonder if this will be where he pops his cork or if this is the prelude to it.
    He's done quite a bit of "quiet" this decade too. The "silver and gold" stuff as well as the "heart of Gold" movie.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #10
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,271

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    He's done quite a bit of "quiet" this decade too. The "silver and gold" stuff as well as the "heart of Gold" movie.
    I get the feeling that's on purpose. He was one of the few who had the good sense to scream in the '90s (in fact I'd argue he screamed best).

    His artistic sensibility in the aughts has been to be more reflective, that a softer voice might be better heard. Yet he's a man of many moods and I've got to imagine the next time he really screams it's going to be extraoridinary. Something's brewing inside him. Maybe this will be that next time. We'll see.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #11
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get the feeling that's on purpose. He was one of the few who had the good sense to scream in the '90s (in fact I'd argue he screamed best).

    His artistic sensibility in the aughts has been to be more reflective, that a softer voice might be better heard. Yet he's a man of many moods and I've got to imagine the next time he really screams it's going to be extraoridinary. Something's brewing inside him. Maybe this will be that next time. We'll see.
    I'm seeing him from the 6th row at the Keller Auditiorium in October. He's doing both an acoustic and and electric set so I'm guessing I'll get to see a little of both. I'm really looking forward to it.

    BTW- He's at the Orpheum in Boston 12/2 and 12/3.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm seeing him from the 6th row at the Keller Auditiorium in October. He's doing both an acoustic and and electric set so I'm guessing I'll get to see a little of both. I'm really looking forward to it.

    BTW- He's at the Orpheum in Boston 12/2 and 12/3.
    Best show I have ever seen was Neil on stage alone drinking a beer and taking requests circa 1993 or so touring for Harvest Moon.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  14. #13
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Best show I have ever seen was Neil on stage alone drinking a beer and taking requests circa 1993 or so touring for Harvest Moon.
    excellent. I wish I'd gotten to see that tour.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Pedro have you seen Neil before?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  16. #15
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Pedro have you seen Neil before?
    yes, about 15 times. he's the man.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25