Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

Neil Young has a new album coming out.

Neil Young
    Chrome Dreams II
    Out October 16th
    The original "Chrome Dreams" was a 1977 album Neil Young scrapped at the last minute (most of the songs -- including "Powderfinger" and "Like a Hurricane" -- made it onto his next few records, some in different form). The sequel is the result of an impromptu session this summer in Northern California, with pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith, bassist Rick Rosas and Crazy Horse drummer Ralph Molina. Eight of the ten tracks are new, and cover the gamut of Young styles, from Harvest-ish country ("Beautiful Bluebird") to cracked ballads ("Shining Light") and sloppy rave-ups ("Dirty Old Man"). The standout for many fans, though, will be an epic song from 1988: the eighteen-minute "Ordinary People," which sounds like "Cortez the Killer" with horns. Catch the tunes live later this fall, when Young and company will take the album on the road.

You can listen to the the track "Ordinary People" here.

If you're a fan of Neil's electric stuff you'll like this one.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

I actually like Neil when he doesn't sing much. His voice is hideous but he's still a talented musician when it comes to guitar and harmonica.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I actually like Neil when he doesn't sing much. His voice is hideous but he's still a talented musician when it comes to guitar and harmonica.
    30 years ago my father walked into my room and asked me whilst I listened to a Neil album, "Does that guy have a stomach ache or what?"

I love Neil Young's voice, it's the background music to a large part my life.

Perhaps I am a mutation, but I think Young has a very lovely voice. "Heart of Gold" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever recorded.

La Dolce Vita

I love his voice, too.

Over the weekend I saw Sarah Polley's beautiful "Away From Her" about a man losing his wife to Alzheimer's, and Neil's haunting voice (Harvest Moon, which is my favorite) on a car radio is an emotional centerpiece in the film.
    teach tolerance.

I wasn't a huge fan of Neil's in his earlier days (CSN+Y and earlier). I made fun of all the sensitive types in the dorm that listened to Neil like a religious experience. I wanted to rock out.

But starting around the Ditch trilogy, I started to get Neil. When I listened to Zuma for 3 days straight, I realized I was hooked. Like woy, the soundtrack to a big chunk of my life.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    I love his voice, too.

Over the weekend I saw Sarah Polley's beautiful "Away From Her" about a man losing his wife to Alzheimer's, and Neil's haunting voice (Harvest Moon, which is my favorite) on a car radio is an emotional centerpiece in the film.
    BTW I got in my fathers car a few years ago and lo and behold... he was listening to Harvest Moon.

Stomach Ache indeed!!

Young's crazy prolific. I sometimes wonder if he hasn't been screaming so much this decade because it's too easy to scream these days. I wonder if this will be where he pops his cork or if this is the prelude to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Young's crazy prolific. I sometimes wonder if he hasn't been screaming so much this decade because it's too easy to scream these days. I wonder if this will be where he pops his cork or if this is the prelude to it.
    He's done quite a bit of "quiet" this decade too. The "silver and gold" stuff as well as the "heart of Gold" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    He's done quite a bit of "quiet" this decade too. The "silver and gold" stuff as well as the "heart of Gold" movie.
    I get the feeling that's on purpose. He was one of the few who had the good sense to scream in the '90s (in fact I'd argue he screamed best).

His artistic sensibility in the aughts has been to be more reflective, that a softer voice might be better heard. Yet he's a man of many moods and I've got to imagine the next time he really screams it's going to be extraoridinary. Something's brewing inside him. Maybe this will be that next time. We'll see.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get the feeling that's on purpose. He was one of the few who had the good sense to scream in the '90s (in fact I'd argue he screamed best).

His artistic sensibility in the aughts has been to be more reflective, that a softer voice might be better heard. Yet he's a man of many moods and I've got to imagine the next time he really screams it's going to be extraoridinary. Something's brewing inside him. Maybe this will be that next time. We'll see.
    I'm seeing him from the 6th row at the Keller Auditiorium in October. He's doing both an acoustic and and electric set so I'm guessing I'll get to see a little of both. I'm really looking forward to it.

BTW- He's at the Orpheum in Boston 12/2 and 12/3.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm seeing him from the 6th row at the Keller Auditiorium in October. He's doing both an acoustic and and electric set so I'm guessing I'll get to see a little of both. I'm really looking forward to it.

BTW- He's at the Orpheum in Boston 12/2 and 12/3.
    Best show I have ever seen was Neil on stage alone drinking a beer and taking requests circa 1993 or so touring for Harvest Moon.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Best show I have ever seen was Neil on stage alone drinking a beer and taking requests circa 1993 or so touring for Harvest Moon.
    excellent. I wish I'd gotten to see that tour.

Pedro have you seen Neil before?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Pedro have you seen Neil before?
    yes, about 15 times. he's the man.

Turn Off Ads?