Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nats: Act, Lopez Discuss Year Gone South - Washington Post article

Nats: Act, Lopez Discuss Year Gone South - Washington Post article

From today's Washington Post:

Lopez, Acta Discuss Year Gone South

By Barry Svrluga
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, September 16, 2007; Page D07

Following a 45-minute, closed-door meeting with Manager Manny Acta yesterday afternoon, slumping Washington Nationals infielder Felipe Lopez spoke with a small group of reporters for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks, defending his reputation and revealing how frustrated he is with his season.

"If I didn't care, I wouldn't be this frustrated," Lopez said. "I would be happy, like some guys. . . . They like mediocrity. I'm not like that. [Expletive] mediocrity. That's why I'm [expletive] about it. That's why I show it sometimes on the field, because I hate it. That's not me."

Acta, who held Lopez out of the starting lineup last night against the Atlanta Braves, tried to paint the meeting as positive. It was at least the third time Lopez and Acta have tried to sort out problems involving effort and performance.

Clearly, both player and management have become exasperated by the results. Lopez has four errors in his last six games, grounded out in a late inning appearance last night against Atlanta and is four for his past 30, dropping his average to .240, his on-base percentage to .304. In 71 games with the Nationals last year, he hit .281 with a .362 OBP.

"I talked to him and said, 'Hey, to me, things in my eyes didn't start not going your way until three weeks ago,' " Acta said. "I was satisfied with the way he's played, especially the second half after the all-star break. It's just that the last three weeks, he hasn't been there, and it's taken a toll on him mentally."

In a six-minute conversation at his locker, Lopez clearly was upset with the idea that he doesn't care.

"I don't care whatever the [expletive] nobody say," he said. "But that's not the way I am. It's [expletive] frustrating, and it's got the best of me sometimes, because I care so much about the way I perform. But I just got to [expletive] battle like I've been battling this whole season."

Lopez, who will earn $3.9 million this season, is eligible for arbitration again this offseason and would be a free agent after 2008. Acta said he still believes in Lopez's talent.

"I'm a talent evaluator," Acta said. "I see this guy every day. I believe he can be as good as he wants to be. Unfortunately, he's underachieved a little bit this year."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nats: Act, Lopez Discuss Year Gone South - Washington Post article

"I'm a talent evaluator," Acta said. "I see this guy every day. I believe he can be as good as he wants to be. Unfortunately, he's underachieved a little bit this year."
    Other than one year (2005) he has underachieved alot. Or maybe he is simply playing up (or down) to his potential?

Very spotty or erratic ballplayer IMHO.

In 4.5 years his seasonal average is nothing to get excited about....

.257 BA .327 OB% .396 SLG% .723 OPS

Worth 4 Mil/yr? (and he is due up again for arbitration at season's end).

And some contend that it's RFK stadium factor, yet is away numbers aren't impressive either.....

Code:
           AB   R   H  HR  RBI  BB  SO   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS

Home   283  28  69  2   15   22  47  .244  .300  .332  .632
    Away   275  32  65  7   33   27  57  .236  .308  .364  .672
    The guy is pretty much below MLB average in every applicable category.....

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx...ge=0&type=full
    Last edited by GAC; 09-16-2007 at 07:17 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'm glad he's gone from Cincinnati. I consider him a low-energy guy.

He's history there, they already signed his replacement (Belliard) and Guzman will get the job next year, oddly enough his replacement last night (Jimenez) hit his first dinger of the year.

Yeah, FeLo, I believe is done in DC...I was talking to a freind of mine who is a pretty ITK fan of the Nats and he said as much...which I know isn't gospel but he has some inside track info with that team.

So, the question is have the people at SS that the Reds replaced him with since out performed what he has done since leaving the Reds?

I think so but I am not up on the stats.

I really thought him going to DC to work with Larkin would be a great thing for him...too bad it hasn't panned out that way.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Yeah, FeLo, I believe is done in DC...I was talking to a freind of mine who is a pretty ITK fan of the Nats and he said as much...which I know isn't gospel but he has some inside track info with that team.

So, the question is have the people at SS that the Reds replaced him with since out performed what he has done since leaving the Reds?

I think so but I am not up on the stats.

I really thought him going to DC to work with Larkin would be a great thing for him...too bad it hasn't panned out that way.
    I'm not sure what "people" we're talking about. Did anyone really consider Royse Clayton a genuine replacement? I think Alex Gonzalez has replaced him rather well. I understand that others have played short this year due to the circumstances surround Gonzalez, but he's the only replacement, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?