Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Talk about sore winners.

Griffin Whitman, a 10-year-old Red Sox fan from Swampscott, was excited to attend his first Yankees vs. Red Sox game Friday night. The young autograph -collector was even more thrilled to score Yankees outfielder Shelley Duncan’s signature before the game. That is, until Griffin read the message from the 27-year-old rookie: “Red Sox suck! Shelley Duncan.”

“It was cool to get his autograph,” Griffin said. “It didn’t make me feel happy when he wrote that.”

Griffin’s mother, Karen, blasted the Yankees slugger’s bad manners.

“This is someone who wears the Yankee uniform and is on the payroll and should be setting an example for 10-year-olds,” she said.

Duncan, son of St. Louis Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, has become a fan favorite in the Bronx for hitting mammoth home runs since he was called up from the minors in July.

Yesterday afternoon, a Yankee spokesman declined to comment until he got a chance to speak to Duncan.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1031894

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Yes, just because he puts on a uniform and entertains, he should be setting an example for 10-year-olds.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I'd love to get an autograph like that.

What a jackass.
    Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

I never understood the allure of getting an autograph - "the young autograph collector" is too young to be so disappointed. Even if I was so inclined I'd only want Reds' autographs - not from someone who's the enemy.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 19-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Actually the kid should see if he can sell it to a Boston bar to display.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Me too. I would cherish that. If a RedSox fan can't appreciate a comment like that, well....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Wasn't Mickey Mantle guilty of writing really crude things on autographed balls and such? Maybe it's a Yankee thing.

The Red Sox do suck, but so do the Yankees.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Throw it on ebay right now.

I'm a little surprised. I really don't think thats the thing to do with a ten year old, I mean really, a ten year old? I'd take it in a second and make some beer money with it, but then again I can see the value of such. If he did that to my 10 year old I'd have had some words with him.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Actually the kid should see if he can sell it to a Boston bar to display.
    I agree. I think that autograph is priceless. It's a one of a kind and speaks to one of the greatest rivalries in sport.... To me, the spontaneity is one of the things a collector would look for.

Was the boy's mother expecting Duncan to write "Go Sox!"?

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I agree. I think that autograph is priceless. It's a one of a kind and speaks to one of the greatest rivalries in sport.... To me, the spontaneity is one of the things a collector would look for.

Was the boy's mother expecting Duncan to write "Go Sox!"?

That's was my thoughts exactly... (tho' mom and son probably thought they'd get just his name)

edabbs44 got it right - it's worth something to someone.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Wasn't Mickey Mantle guilty of writing really crude things on autographed balls and such? Maybe it's a Yankee thing.
    Nah that was Roger Maris. That too was comical.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

It appears the kid now has a first hand experience of how intense the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is. Welcome to a taste of adulthood and alot of money (if he wants). At least Shelly Duncan was nice enough to sign the kid an autograph though. I've seen many players not even take the time.

Turn Off Ads?