Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Cry me a river! And while we are at it... let's call the paper and get publicity for this travesty. "Be sure to pose (look hurt) while they are taking your picture, sonny boy." I guess white-out could have been used by normal parents. But I guess some feel that the ALL IMPORTANT story must be told to the masses. Oh well... it is good for the rivalry thing. New York had Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone, now Boston has Griffin Whitman. Sounds fair! :
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's pretty funny but it's probably inappropriate for a 10 y/o. I think Duncan should use a little common sense. Save that autograph for the adult that's shoving kids out of the way. He was probably just having a little fun but didn't use much common sense dealing with a kid.

Innappropriate for a 10 year old? Come on guys... Its not like he dropped an "F the Red Sox' or something. I promise you that kid has said the Yankees suck in his lifetime.

Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Kid, stay away from Yankees.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Boy, it's a good thing he didn't ask for an autograph from Jimmy Dugan.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Nah that was Roger Maris. That too was comical.
    I thought Maris was criticized because someone asked him if he could put his "X" on a ball for them and he jokingly drew a big "X" on the ball and the guy got mad. I don't know much about Maris beyond the popular history though. Thanks to Jim Bouton, I know that Mantle, along with plenty of other players, was a fan of "beaver hunting."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

That kid will make so much on ebay with that autograph
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yes, just because he puts on a uniform and entertains, he should be setting an example for 10-year-olds.
    If he's signing for a kid, he should be. Especially when the kid is wearing Red Sox gear.

Carl Y (can't spell it), once refused an autograph to a kid I knew because he was wearing a Yankee hat.

When kids are DIRECTLY involved, yes, IMHO the player should do his best to set a good example.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I love it. I hate the Yankees as much as the next Red Sox fan, but Duncan is forcing me to make an exception.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I thought Maris was criticized because someone asked him if he could put his "X" on a ball for them and he jokingly drew a big "X" on the ball and the guy got mad. I don't know much about Maris beyond the popular history though. Thanks to Jim Bouton, I know that Mantle, along with plenty of other players, was a fan of "beaver hunting."
    I thought that story is what you were referring to. hmmm...there enough Mantle stories out there that I'm sure one could be used for an "innapropriate" autograph story.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

It was stupid and inappropriate for him to have signed it that way. Screw the intensity of this rivalry. When kids are involved - set an example.

What I would like to have seen happen, after he signed the ball, was for the kid to look up and say... "Hell, you're not Derek Jeter!"
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Agree... I liked Aaron and Schmidt in the 70's but no way would I want an autograph or would I root for them at Riverfront.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Kid should have blown his nose in the autograph, wadded it up, and thrown it at Duncan.

"I got your autograph right here, Duncan"

Duncan, of course, would have misplayed it into a double.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Now that they got some free publicity, I'm sure they'll sell it to the highest bidder.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post

I don't think these kids care much whose autograph is on the ball as long as it's an autograph. They will put aside their "differences" for an autograph. That may make them as mercenary as the players are.

I thought Jim Bouton did something like that. I thought he put some kind of odd message on a ball and got some grief for it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?