Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Re: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

I remember hearing a story of how Reggie Jackson would write "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" when people asked him for his autograph. Must be a Yankee thing!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

IIRC in one of Johnny Bench's books he talks about the autograph seekers in NYC (playing the Mets) and how bad they were. If that was the case back in the 70's then maybe it is a NYC-Yankees thing to fight back.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Yankees = Class

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Kid, stay away from Yankees.

Kids have their favorite teams, but they also have their favorite players... no matter what team they play for.

Griffey is a really good example. While watching the Little League World Series, the two most popular players among the kids were Griffey and Jeter... and most of those kids don't live in New York or Cincinnati.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I thought it was funny. Kid and his parents need to get a life.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Kid, stay away from Yankees.
    I always tried to get autographs when I was younger. I don't know how it's set up now but at Riverfront it was pretty easy to get just about every Reds player's autograph after the game when they were leaving. Therefore, during the time between BP and the start of the game I would always try to get autographs of the opposing team along the fence line because I knew I'd go for Reds players later.

I didn't care who they played for, I just liked getting lots of autographs. If a player on the opposing team was especially nice to me I would usually adopt them as a favorite non Reds player and make sure to vote for them on the All Star ballots, etc. As far as I was concerned the more autographs on my ball after the game, the better. I managed to get several All Stars/HOF'ers autographs growing up by doing this including Glavine, Pujols, Piazza, Bagwell, Thome, Jimmy Rollins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Kids have their favorite teams, but they also have their favorite players... no matter what team they play for.
    As I said in my post above, this is extremely true. I know I was very impressionable as a younger kid. The players that a ball I caught or were nice to me getting an autograph became my favorite players. The players that acted rude towards me immediately became the players I hated and always rooted against. I loved Eddie Taubensee, Sean Casey, and the guys who were always friendly and willing to sign autographs.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I thought it was funny. Kid and his parents need to get a life.
    A 10-year old kid needs to get a life? Do you remember what it was like to be ten (that's 5th grade)? I'm sure he didn't get the humor....
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

A 10-year old kid needs to get a life? Do you remember what it was like to be ten (that's 5th grade)? I'm sure he didn't get the humor....
    At ten, any ballplayer is larger than life so I could understand if he was surprised initially. That said, my 9 yo daughter gets the humor and she's really only started seriously following baseball and it's history within the last year. I have no idea how a ten year old dressed from head to toe in Sox gear, wouldn't get the humor, especially after showing it off to his buddies etc.

If the kid is truly bent out of shape, he's not gonna make mile one in the marathon that will be following the Redsox-Yankees battle.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think its awful to write that to a 10 year old. I understand Duncan's perspective but he's the adult and needs to act like one IMO. I also use the term "suck" from time to time (mostly in some reference to OF defense or some Reds player getting picked-off base or caught stealing) but the origin of the term is still not "G" rated and I don't think it is acceptable to write that on a 10 year old's keepsake. If he would have said "stinks" instead it wouldn't have been as bad, but he should just sign it straight or just stop signing.

I do think its excessive for the parents to go public with the complaint. I would have probably just classified Duncan as a jerk and gone about my business.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

It's a fact that kids are what we often argue is the base of the game. Playing ball on sand lots, collecting cards with gum in them. When I collected cards it wasn't to get only one team, it was to get as many greats as you could. If I had a chance to get an autograph from any pro player I'd have jumped on it. Not for the money on ebay, it would be for the excitement of having a big star signing anything for me. It's ridiculous to think that a kid should expect a pro player to give a signature like that. I'm surprised that so many people forget about being 10 years old and how they felt about baseball as a whole. Have people just jumped off the edge and think that a 10 year old would simply go for the money? Get your heads together. Maybe you would go for the money instead of just simply the excitement of getting an autograph, that's not unlikely, but.....
    Last edited by 37red; 09-17-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Wasn't Mickey Mantle guilty of writing really crude things on autographed balls and such? Maybe it's a Yankee thing.
    You're thinking of Jimmy Dugan....

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    It's a fact that kids are what we often argue is the base of the game. Playing ball on sand lots, collecting cards with gum in them. When I collected cards it wasn't to get only one team, it was to get as many greats as you could. If I had a chance to get an autograph from any pro player I'd have jumped on it. Not for the money on ebay, it would be for the excitement of having a big star signing anything for me. It's ridiculous to think that a kid should expect a pro player to give a signature like that. I'm surprised that so many people forget about being 10 years old and how they felt about baseball as a whole. Have people just jumped off the edge and think that a 10 year old would simply go for the money? Get your heads together. Maybe you would go for the money instead of just simply the excitement of getting an autograph, that's not unlikely, but.....
    37, your first part of the paragraph is describing a young baseball fan of a different era - I did those things and I'm 48 (I took brand new cards of Boog, Weaver, Brooks, Frank, and Palmer, and put them into the spokes of my bicycle after the Reds lost to the Orioles in 1970). The kids I know today that follow baseball look at it differently and unfortunately, money is involved for these things and I blame that somewhat on the parents. I didn't have ebay, there was only Topps cards, etc.

I do think its excessive for the parents to go public with the complaint. I would have probably just classified Duncan as a jerk and gone about my business.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I understand "the kids in it for the money argument," but we're talking Shelley Duncan here. The ink probably costs more than a straight autograph would bring. Duncan didn't need to try and ruin it. In actuality he made it worth something IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I don't remember that far back. But I coached 10 year olds in soccer last year. You would not believe what kids that age "get" these days.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?