Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Re: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

15fan, why? You have to ask why?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    I wonder how many people can picture themselves standing tall in a Reds uniform and a 10 year old kid walks up to you. He looks up wearing another teams jersey or hat but is really excited that he got close enough to you to get an autograph. The kid hands you something to sign, he's just lucky to even get to a game once a year much less close enough to a famous player to get your signature, and you write "your team sucks".

This doesn't amount to whether a kid is weird, it's all about what, you, the big time Professional baseball player related to the child. Camisadelgolf, explaining life to your son or daughter isn't built around looking up to people and expecting them to dump on you. Those people aren't the ones you teach your kids to respect. Again, would you look a kid in the face that has approached you for an autograph and write down that his home team sucks?
    Again, I don't understand why people would automatically assume Duncan saw this as an opportunity to dump on a poor ten year old and was motivated to write what he did by a desire to be hurtful, dismissive, or offensive.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-18-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

WE do all agree that taking this matter to the press was a bad idea?
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Also, has Duncan responded to this?
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Again, I don't understand why people would automatically assume Duncan saw this as an opportunity to dump on a poor ten year old and was motivated to write what he did by a desire to be hurtful, dismissive, or offensive.
    Actually, I didn't think that at all. I had assumed he was a young rookie that got caught up in the Yankees/Red Sox war and thought he was being clever and/or snarky.

A very human thing to do, but still not cool.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Actually, I didn't think that at all. I had assumed he was a young rookie that got caught up in the Yankees/Red Sox war and thought he was being clever and/or snarky.

A very human thing to do, but still not cool.
    I kinda think it's cool. Maybe if the BoSox/Yanks rivalry wasn't so storied and special, an autogragh like that wouldn't be cool. But frankly, if that kid had a dollar for every time he or one of his buddies said the Yanks suck, his college education would probably be covered.

I think reasonable people can disagree about how cool it was or wasn't. I'm a pretty socially conservative fellow who instills such values into my children but really, I have a hard time seeing the mother's point of view on this one.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If your ten-year-old son is genuinely offended by "Red Sox Suck", you either have a weird son, or you did a bad job of explaining life, in my opinion. If that same ten-year-old kid heard about Jacob Ellsbury doing that to a Yankees fan, I bet the kid wouldn't be offended at all and might say it was anything from stupid to hilarious (or he just wouldn't understand it at all). However, when his parent(s) come into the picture and tell him how he should feel, that changes things quite a bit, and I'd bet any amount of money that that's what happened.
    Perhaps the parents got involved because of how it affected their child, rather than telling him how to feel.

All children are different and react differently to the same situation(s). All in all, it was a very "childish" thing for Duncan to do.

Heck, I'm an adult and I'd be severely ticked off if someone wrote that on my baseball when referring to my beloved Reds! (I don't get autographs, but if I did, I'd be irate)
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Oh please. Do you think Cincinnati and Seattle are the only two cities that have kids who adore Ken Griffey, Jr.?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

There's the humorous side and then there's the parental perspective. I could joke about it all day but I could also say that it wasn't the right thing to do. I asked others about it and all of them looked at me in obvious disgust, how screwed up that was. Sooo, it all comes down to perspective and we're not going to reverse anyones perspective it seems. From a comedic point of view it's funny. From a 10 year olds and a parental perspective it's questionable. From here it's all yours, good night from 37red.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The 10 yr. old version of my kids would have been offended. And I think I explained life just fine.

In the Tucker home when my kids were younger, the word "suck" wasn't allowed. Roy knows the derivation of this term (it seems the rest of the world has forgotten), and for a 10 yr. old kid to be using is not right. I don't care if the rest of the world has habituated their kids that its OK, it wasn't OK with me.

Now, the world has marched on, my kids have gotten older and are in HS and college, and "suck" has crept into their vernacular (along with a lot of other words). My HS freshman daughter came home from marching band practice and said "man, we really sucked today". Roy winced, but realized time marches on and my kids aren't the fresh-faced daiseys they once were.

But for impressionable kids (and I include a 10 yr. old there), I think it was poor taste for Duncan to sign it. If I were standing next to my kid when it was signed, I would have said something about it to Duncan (like, "no, try again"). But that would have been the end of it. What is gained by going to the press with it?

Get off my lawn, punks.
    For me, profanity started as a religious thing, and seeing as how I'm not religious (combined with freedom of speech, separation of church and state, etc.), I don't have a problem with any kind of so-called 'inappropriate' words. With that said, I think what you said is perfectly reasonable, and I feel like I understand from where you're coming. I'm glad we can at least agree that it's not worth raising a storm about.

I'm not "offended" by the word suck but I understand why some people are. If that particular father thought the word suck was in poor taste he should have talked to the ballplayer himself and dealt with it.

The second you run to a newspaper to deal with an issue like that tells me dad is more interested in getting in the newspaper than he is protecting his son's innoccence.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm not "offended" by the word suck but I understand why some people are. If that particular father thought the word suck was in poor taste he should have talked to the ballplayer himself and dealt with it.

The second you run to a newspaper to deal with an issue like that tells me dad is more interested in getting in the newspaper than he is protecting his son's innoccence.
    I'm not offended either, but I don't think its appropriate for an adult to be using in any type of communication with a 10 year old.

If it was my 10 year old I'd be angry.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I have an 11 year old...if he had relieved said ball...I would laugh my butt off and would explain to him the nature of a joke.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

If you don't want your kid exposed to the word "suck", the absolute last place you should be taking him is Fenway Park for a Sox/Yankee game. The kid, and Duncan, probably heard "Yankees suck" about 500 times at that game.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    If you don't want your kid exposed to the word "suck", the absolute last place you should be taking him is Fenway Park for a Sox/Yankee game. The kid, and Duncan, probably heard "Yankees suck" about 500 times at that game.

We went to the 8/29 and 8/30 game at Yankee Stadium against the Red Sox and trust me the word "suck" is tame compared to most of the language used. There were approximately five different Red Sox fans ejected from the two games we saw and all five times the entire stadium chanted in unison a vulgar term named after a body part much, much worse than "sucks". On the way out of the stadium we were caught in the middle of a group of Yankee fans and a real obnoxious Red Sox fan that were very close to coming to blows. Having said all this, while I dont condone this behavior it is kinda nice in a way to see people so passionate for their team.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?