Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Re: Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

Of course Duncan is now going to be a cult hero among Yankee fans for doing this.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm not "offended" by the word suck but I understand why some people are. If that particular father thought the word suck was in poor taste he should have talked to the ballplayer himself and dealt with it.
    I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.
    Hey stop that, my wiener kids are listening.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    WE do all agree that taking this matter to the press was a bad idea?
    This kind of story is the exact reason there's a part of me that still hates the internet. This autograph could have been given in any number of circumstances. shelly Duncan could have had a light-hearted exchange with this kid. The kid could have been giving him good-natured ribbing and said "Yankees suck!" and Duncan smiled and signed the autograph. The kid could have been a brat, really ribbing him but still bothering to ask for an autograph, and Duncan was annoyed. Or Shelly Duncan could have been playing out an inside joke with him teammates. Or Shelly Duncan could be a complete and total jerk.

None of us can know the circumstances. Not even if the people involved tell us about them: they'll still be told in retrospect, with opinion, and colored by the press as need be. But we all know it happened. Because of the internet, the thing that was supposed to save us time and give us more information. And instead we're kind of wasting time dissecting what can never really be true information, just photos and statements. I don't feel this way about everything on the internet, obviously, but this kind of story is just the extreme in the picture, I think.

Shelly Duncan should probably consider the fact that he's a professional baseball player now and he should probably think harder about the ways and means of the world he lives in. And this kid (or his parents) should probably take themselves down to a soup kitchen or something and remind themselves that kids could do a lot worse than getting a slightly off-color autograph at a game they probably paid a fortune to go to. I don't mean that to sound righteous -- lord knows I'm preoccupied with stupider stuff every day of my life, and here I am reading and writing about this anyway -- but this is that kind of reminder to all of us that for crying out loud, there are bigger things in the world.

My opinion? Well, I think it shows good-hearted spirit. But I guess that's to be expected
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?