Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 Players You Love to Hate

100 Players You Love to Hate

Adam Dunn shows up in the "Wish you were someone else" division. The article is currently on ESPN's front page.

75. Adam Dunn, Cincinnati Reds: In the eyes of Reds fans and their hatchet-wielding broadcasters, Dunn's 40 homers and 100 walks a season are a big fluke, and only his high strikeout totals and sketchy defense matter. The abuse has grown so harsh this season, you'd think he sold the recipe for Skyline Chili to Osama.
    Here is the link to the rest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: 100 Players You Love to Hate

I don't live in Cincinnati. Is this anywhere near being true or a huge exaggeration?

I'm thinking Dunn doesn't belong in that group.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Depends. A lot of the radio guys do say those kind of things yes. Some of the news paper guys are coming around.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

The very few people I know in the area think he's useless. I think they're still waiting for the reemergence of Chris Stynes and Alex Ochoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Depends. A lot of the radio guys do say those kind of things yes. Some of the news paper guys are coming around.
    Latley, Thom B, George G and Welsh have all been saying you have to pick up the option also.

I *think* I remember Fey saying it receintly too.

Dunn's excellent August and strong September (combined with a BA in the .260 area, right or wrong) has done a lot to quiet down those screaming for him to be axed.

Frankly, lots of people complain about Dunn because (1) he's an easy target (2) it's one of the few names on the team they actually recognize. I'm talking about casual fans.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-17-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Seems that the jungle drums calling for Dunn's head have lessened as of late. I don't know if Marty was told to cool it or what.

It was pretty bad earlier this season (and seasons past).

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I don't live in Cincinnati. Is this anywhere near being true or a huge exaggeration?
    For the most part it's true.
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

and their hatchet-wielding broadcasters
    Hmm.... Guess it isn't just a Redszone 10 created myth after all.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And Jeter isn't even on there... hmmm....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Don't see how Adam could make a list of players you love to hate. I figure that list would be primarily comprised of players who are jerks and have character issues regardless of their numbers/performance.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Don't see how Adam could make a list of players you love to hate. I figure that list would be primarily comprised of players who are jerks and have character issues regardless of their numbers/performance.
    I agree. Silly list. How did Barry Bonds not make the list?
    How about a list of ignorant "hatchet-wielding broadcasters"?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Regarding Dunn, I actually think Cunningham going crazy on Dunn did a world of good. I'm guessing it may have been a wake-up call to the likes of Marty that they were stirring up a lot of hate for a very good baseball player.

The list was kind of odd but it seemed like a list of players their own fans love to hate which wasn't made clear from reading the explanation. Otherwise why wouldn't Bonds or Jeter be on there? A lot of these guys - especially the QBs - don't exactly make the other teams' fans bring the torchs and pitchforks. Ryan Leaf? I think there are some articles which seemed like a good idea at the time but in the end shouldn't have been written at all, This was one of them.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The list was meant as players who the teams own fans like to hate, that's why there was a special Yankees, Mets, and Phillies division of the list.

And yes, Cincinnati fans seem to hate Adam more than any other fans, well except for Bob Wickman's family, I bet they hate Adam Dunn the most.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Hmm.... Guess it isn't just a Redszone 10 created myth after all.
    Next Windmill to take on is WLW, an anti-intellectual sewage conduit if there ever was one.

Turn Off Ads?