Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Bench v.2008

  1. #1
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Bench v.2008

    Ok, big warning here...obviously there's lots of speculation involved here.

    2007 Bench
    Castro
    Javy
    Moller
    Conine
    Freel/Hopper/Hamilton

    2008 Projected Bench
    Hatteburg (assumes Votto starts 1B)
    Hopper (assumes Hamilton starts in CF)
    Keppenger
    Cantu
    Catcher To be Named Later
    Buck Coats ?

    Ok, the chances of no changes happening between now and April 2008 are slim and none. But if a magic wand were waived and this was the bench we took to the war I'd think we've taken major steps forward in improving what was a dismal bench in the first 1/2 of 2007.

    I know that the bench is the least of our worries, but I like the flexibility and performance v.2008 should offer over the dismal v.2007.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member kheidg-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Hatte will be gone.

    Barring any trades it will probably look like this

    Hopper (backup OF), Kepp (2B,SS,3B,OF), Cantu (2B,3B,1B), Freel (OF,3B,2B), Javy/Ross (C)

    Starters
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzo
    3B EdE
    LF Dunn
    CF Hamilton
    RF Griffey
    C Javy/Ross

    Now the pitching staff

    SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Belisle
    SP Bailey
    SP Livingston/Shearn/Cueto
    RP Weathers
    RP Burton
    RP Bray
    RP Majewski
    RP McBeth
    RP Coutlangus
    RP Coffey/Guardado/Salmon/??

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Findlay OH
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: Bench v.2008

    The Reds are paying Castro ~1 million next year so he WILL have one of those bench spots.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Hatte will be gone.

    Barring any trades it will probably look like this

    Hopper (backup OF), Kepp (2B,SS,3B,OF), Cantu (2B,3B,1B), Freel (OF,3B,2B), Javy/Ross (C)

    Starters
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzo
    3B EdE
    LF Dunn
    CF Hamilton
    RF Griffey
    C Javy/Ross

    Now the pitching staff

    SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Belisle
    SP Bailey
    SP Livingston/Shearn/Cueto
    RP Weathers
    RP Burton
    RP Bray
    RP Majewski
    RP McBeth
    RP Coutlangus
    RP Coffey/Guardado/Salmon/??
    Your bench is entirely right handed except for Javy, who needs to be available to catch in case of an injury or double switch. So I don't think everyone you list will be around. I think a lefty bat will be on the bench, maybe Buck Coates, Chris Dickerson, or a new guy.

  6. #5
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Bench v.2008

    First off, by the title, I thought Bench was gonna attempt a comeback in '08!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    The Reds are paying Castro ~1 million next year so he WILL have one of those bench spots.
    Krivsky has ate higher salaries before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Your bench is entirely right handed except for Javy, who needs to be available to catch in case of an injury or double switch. So I don't think everyone you list will be around. I think a lefty bat will be on the bench, maybe Buck Coates, Chris Dickerson, or a new guy.
    Which is why I think they will hang onto Hatte. Where else are you gonna find a LH'd bat off the bench that can produce for 1.5 Mil while also being a baackup to Votto at 1B? And it would be a wise decision on WK's part unless someone offers up something decent in return on a trade.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-18-2007 at 07:48 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  7. #6
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Has Hatteberg said that he'd be fine with becoming a bench player? I realize he's under contract, but he might ask for a trade to a place where he could at least get some consistent PT.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: Bench v.2008

    I'm not really sure he could find a better gig than backing up a rookie. He is a solid bench player, but even he should realize that teams want more from a starting first baseman.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I'm not really sure he could find a better gig than backing up a rookie. He is a solid bench player, but even he should realize that teams want more from a starting first baseman.
    Yeah, but there will probably be opportunities a little more appealing than backing up a top prospect who hits from the same side of the plate as you do.

  10. #9
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yeah, but there will probably be opportunities a little more appealing than backing up a top prospect who hits from the same side of the plate as you do.
    Possibly. But he is under contract to the Reds and this FO needs to think what is better for the team and not necessarily Scott Hatteberg. From what I've read, they had teams show interest this year before the trading deadline yet were offering very little in return. So that kinda gives us a hint at what other teams think or how much value they place on Hatte. Not much. Yeah, they'd like to have him, but they aren't going to make much of a sacrifice to acquire him.

    He'd probably be utilized in the same duties we intend for him. I really don't think he'd be a starting 1Bman whoever was interested.

    So hang onto him unless someone really wants him bad. He'd be a solid bench/utility player IMO.

    Eat Castro's contract if we need the room. Ellis will be gone at season's end too.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #10
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Possibly. But he is under contract to the Reds and this FO needs to think what is better for the team and not necessarily Scott Hatteberg. From what I've read, they had teams show interest this year before the trading deadline yet were offering very little in return. So that kinda gives us a hint at what other teams think or how much value they place on Hatte. Not much. Yeah, they'd like to have him, but they aren't going to make much of a sacrifice to acquire him.

    He'd probably be utilized in the same duties we intend for him. I really don't think he'd be a starting 1Bman whoever was interested.

    So hang onto him unless someone really wants him bad. He'd be a solid bench/utility player IMO.

    Eat Castro's contract if we need the room. Ellis will be gone at season's end too.
    Paying almost $2 million for a bench guy might not really help this team in the way it needs to be helped. Hatte might be a bargain relative to the rest of baseball, but that money might be better spent elsewhere while potentially getting a younger guy in return.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Findlay OH
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    First off, by the title, I thought Bench was gonna attempt a comeback in '08!



    Krivsky has ate higher salaries before.


    True but not before the season starts. Plus it appears he has some man love for Castro.

  13. #12
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,159

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Paying almost $2 million for a bench guy might not really help this team in the way it needs to be helped. Hatte might be a bargain relative to the rest of baseball, but that money might be better spent elsewhere while potentially getting a younger guy in return.
    I wouldn't mind trading Hatteberg if someone offered a good return, but I'm perfectly fine with the team paying $2M for what should be one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  14. #13
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,387

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wouldn't mind trading Hatteberg if someone offered a good return, but I'm perfectly fine with the team paying $2M for what should be one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.

    Wouldn't mind? I'd do cartwheels if that was his role. Some schools of thought say that pinch hitters need to be hackers, not me. I think he would dominate relief pitching.

    I'm extremely excited for next year. Jared Burton and what look slike some bench depth can do that for you.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  15. #14
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Absolutely. In the National League, "ace left-handed pinch-hitter" is practically a full-time job. That guy's going to get a high-leverage plate appearance in practically every close game. It shouldn't be a throwaway gig.
    Not all who wander are lost

  16. #15
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: Bench v.2008

    Hatteberg's 2008 option is actually going to be a bit cheaper at $1.85 million since he's not going to accumulate 500 PAs this season. Had he reached 500 PAs this season, he'd have earned a $50k bonus in 2007 with the 2008 option climbing up to $2 million and the buyout going from $150k to $175k.

    So yea, $1.85 million for another year of Hatteberg should be a no-brainer, even if his new role will be primarily as a bench player. He could still easily reach 200 plate appearances next season with plenty of high leverage pinch hit opportunities and a few spot starts.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25