Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2007-8

UEFA Champions League 2007-8

Interesting first set of games so far. Rosenborg (from Norway) is giving Chelsea all it can handle (currently 1-1). Porto's tied with Liverpool 1-1 with 30 minutes to play and Liverpool just got carded down to 10 men because Jermaine Pennant apparently left his brain at home.

Celtic's down 2-0 to Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine) and Olympiakos (Greece) is up on Lazio (Italy) 1-0. Beskitas (Turkey) is 0-0 away at Marseille. Good day for the underdogs so far. Nice to see it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UEFA Champions League 2007-8

Liverpool held on for the tie - deserved to lose. Rosenborg got the tie with Chelsea (huge upset). Marseille scored two late goals on Besiktas.

Valencia got a road win against German champs FC Schalke. Shakhtar closed out Celtic 2-0, and that might be it for Celtic's dreams of making the knock-out phase. Defending champs AC Milan beat Benfica 2-1 because Andrea Pirlo is a genius.

And in the fascist division, Real Madrid beat Werder Bremen 2-1, but played better than that. Meanwhile Lazio came back to tie Olympiakos, which steams my pipes because I hate the sieg hieling twits who cotton to Lazio.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Man Utd playing Rooney up front on his own. Madness.

Arsenal 1-0 up over Sevilla. Had money on Fabragas scoring the first goal as well the bookies have paid out already even though it may go down as an OG.

Ronaldo with a nice header to put Man U on top. Van Persie's now put Arsenal up 2-0. Rangers are 1-1 at home with Stuttgart in a game the Scots can't afford to lose. Fenerbahce (Turkey) is holding a 1-0 lead on Inter, making it the potential upset special of the day.

The two supposedly marquee matchups today turned into routs with Barca beating Lyon 3-0 and Arsenal thrashing Sevilla 3-0. Rangers beat Stuttgart 2-1 (which doesn't please me one bit). Man U held on for the 1-0 win and Roma put away Dynamo Kiev 2-0. Slavia Prague beat Steaua Bucuresti 2-1.

PSV beat CSKA Moscow 2-1 despite a goal from one of my favorite players, Vagner Love. Moscow also boasts Dudu, which may be the best name in sports. And Fenerbahce closed out Inter for the 1-0 win. The Turkish teams are getting a lot better. Fenerbahce still doesn't have its best player, Stephen Appiah, back. I think a lot of people looked at Inter's draw with Fenerbahce, PSV and Moscow and thought it was a cakewalk. Those teams have talent and it's conceivable that Inter might not survive to the knockout stages.

Vagner Love is a stud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The two supposedly marquee matchups today turned into routs with Barca beating Lyon 3-0 and Arsenal thrashing Sevilla 3-0. Rangers beat Stuttgart 2-1 (which doesn't please me one bit). Man U held on for the 1-0 win and Roma put away Dynamo Kiev 2-0. Slavia Prague beat Steaua Bucuresti 2-1.

PSV beat CSKA Moscow 2-1 despite a goal from one of my favorite players, Vagner Love. Moscow also boasts Dudu, which may be the best name in sports. And Fenerbahce closed out Inter for the 1-0 win. The Turkish teams are getting a lot better. Fenerbahce still doesn't have its best player, Stephen Appiah, back. I think a lot of people looked at Inter's draw with Fenerbahce, PSV and Moscow and thought it was a cakewalk. Those teams have talent and it's conceivable that Inter might not survive to the knockout stages.
    My favorite soccer name is old Hull player Dean Windass.

Just brilliant.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    My favorite soccer name is old Hull player Dean Windass.

Just brilliant.
    I'll be watching Windass live tomorrow. Along with Jay Jay Okocha.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    I'll be watching Windass live tomorrow. Along with Jay Jay Okocha.
    That was a nice move by Hull. Okocha is old and all, but still.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

So I joined the ESPN Champions League Fantasy League. Having missed the first three days of play, I stand no chance of winning, but it's free and seemed like fun.

I've got (Santa) Iker Casillas in net with Marseilles' Steve Mandanda (the future of French goal keeping) as his backup.

On defense I've got Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Per Mertesacker (Bremen), Luisao (Benfica), Gael Clichy (Arsenal) and Vladislav Vaschuk (Dynamo Kiev).

In the midfield I've got Wesley Sneijder (Real), Guti (Real), Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool) and Denilson (Arsenal).

My forwards are Emmanual Adebayor (Arsenal), Deivid (Fenerbahce) and Gerald Asamoah (Schalke).

I wanted David Villa from Valencia and he's already scored against Chelsea today, but I couldn't afford him. Mascherano and Asamoah started today on the bench, so they'd better get substituted in later.
    Last edited by M2; 10-03-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Marseilles just took a late lead against Liverpool (at Anfield no less) on a stellar goal by Mathieu Valbuena. Supposedly Liverpool's never lost to a French team at home. Marseilles has pretty much owned them, Nigerian left back Taye Taiwo has been awesome.

Meanwhile Chelsea has clawed back to take a late 2-1 at Valencia thanks to Mr. Drogba.

What about Dida !!!!!!!

What a joker he is. Fair enough, Celtic should get in some trouble for letting the guy get on the pitch BUT !!!! To collapse like that then require a stretcher was surely the lowest of the low.

Great result for the Celts by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    What about Dida !!!!!!!

What a joker he is. Fair enough, Celtic should get in some trouble for letting the guy get on the pitch BUT !!!! To collapse like that then require a stretcher was surely the lowest of the low.

Great result for the Celts by the way.
    Here's the clip. It's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVDIYC13cg

Mandanda is from Congo, I heard? Guess he'll still be capped by France?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Mandanda is from Congo, I heard? Guess he'll still be capped by France?
    Yeah, I'm not sure how it happened (though I'd guess his parents were French colonial citizens), but he played for the French U-21 team.

Turn Off Ads?