Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-signing Harang last offseason... BRILLIANT!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re-signing Harang last offseason... BRILLIANT!

16-4, 3.61 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 216.2 IP, 198 K, 51 BB, BAA .237.

What a year. Especially considering the team he plays on. Especially considering his home ball park. Especially considering we got him for the Tazmanian Devil aka Jose Guillen (along with a few scrubby pitchers like Joe Valentine who was supposed to be the centerpiece of the deal for the Reds).

And Krivsky deserves credit for not wasting time and getting this done last offseason. Great to know he is locked up. Some might criticize re-signing Arroyo since he was already locked up through 2008, but I liked re-upping him as well.

But that Harang deal... brilliant!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Re-signing Harang last offseason... BRILLIANT!

If he doesn't pick up some Cy Young votes this year, I might lose it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I read the article today at the Post, and people keep saying we have to consider Aaron Harang's home field vs. Jake Peavy having the huge park at San Diego.

What is weird are Harang's home/road splits.

At GABP:
    110 innings, 3.33 ERA, 102 Ks, 29 BBs, 13 HRs allowed, .237 BAA, and an 8-3 record.

Harang on the road:
    99 innings, 4.00 ERA, 90 Ks, 20 BBs, 12 HRs allowed, .239 BAA, and a 7-1 record.

Harang has figured out how to pitch in GABP....

Peavy, on the other hand, same stats:
    In San Diego:
    118.1 innings, 2.59 ERA, 131 Ks, 32 BBs, 5 Hrs allowed, .223 BAA, and a 9-5 record.

Peavy on the road:
    84.2 innings, 2.13 ERA, 94 Ks, 29 BBs, 5 Hrs allowed, .179 BAA, and a 9-1 record.

I certainly agree that signing Harang was HUGE. Good job WK!
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

While signing Harang was a good move, it was kind of an obvious one.

If Krivsky could have flipped Harang to the Yankees for, say, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, I would have classified that as "brilliant."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    While signing Harang was a good move, it was kind of an obvious one.

If Krivsky could have flipped Harang to the Yankees for, say, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, I would have classified that as "brilliant."
    I think the brilliance was the price they got him at for 4 years. That may have been the best contract in baseball for the year.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

I'll take Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

Peavy, on the other hand, same stats:
    In San Diego:
    118.1 innings, 2.59 ERA, 131 Ks, 32 BBs, 5 Hrs allowed, .223 BAA, and a 9-5 record.

Peavy on the road:
    84.2 innings, 2.13 ERA, 94 Ks, 29 BBs, 5 Hrs allowed, .179 BAA, and a 9-1 record.
    That's crazy that Peavy is a road warrior considering his home park.

Harang is good. Most of his hits last night were with 2 outs. he knows how to pitch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If he doesn't pick up some Cy Young votes this year, I might lose it.
    Get ready to lose it, Carlos in Chicago will get twice as many.
    Go Gators!

when you look at the dearth of starting pitching(even on some playoff teams), it is obvious that you have to build your nucleus of a solid starting staff from within.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think the brilliance was the price they got him at for 4 years. That may have been the best contract in baseball for the year.
    Final judgement should be held until after next season, at least. If he goes out next year and wrecks his shoulder, the signing won't look as brilliant. Especially since he was under Cincy's control through next year.

But so far, it's pretty obvious that Reds fans should feel lucky that he is currently a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'll take Harang.
    If you're going to actually build around a guy (i.e. spend the necessary cash), Harang's a good one. If you're going to cry poor and try to scrape by with a miserable bullpen and rotation, I'd rather have the grade-A prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Final judgement should be held until after next season, at least. If he goes out next year and wrecks his shoulder, the signing won't look as brilliant. Especially since he was under Cincy's control through next year.

But so far, it's pretty obvious that Reds fans should feel lucky that he is currently a Red.
    If it was a good decision last winter, it would still be a good decision despite a later injury. It would just become a good decision that didn't work out. Frankly, extending Harang was a good decision.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    That's crazy that Peavy is a road warrior considering his home park.

Harang is good. Most of his hits last night were with 2 outs. he knows how to pitch a game.
    Peavy's pitching style pretty much eliminates park as a factor in his numbers. He'd put up those numbers in my daughter's tee ball field.

Man Pills

Harang at his current cost and at his current level of production is one of the top ten values in all of baseball.

I can fault Wayne for a lot. Extending Harang isn't one of them.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?