Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tom Gorzelanny for Cy Young!

Tom Gorzelanny for Cy Young!

With all the talk of Aaron Harang being underappreciated in the league I bring up an equally underappreciated pitcher (if not more) for another bad team. That would be Tom Gorzelanny whom is having a remarkable year for the 5th place Pittsburgh Pirates. In 2007 Gorzelanny is 14-8 with an ERA+ of 125. Gorzelanny only has 127 strikeouts in 190 innings which is alot less than Harang but all the rest of his numbers look good.
    Last edited by harangatang; 09-19-2007 at 03:53 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tom Gorzelanny for Cy Young!

Gorzelanny's good. If only Dan O'Brien had insisted upon him as the return for Sean Casey.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

At least Gorzelanny was on the 32nd man ballot for the all-star game. So I guess LaRussa appreciates his game.

He's a solid pitcher, but I think there may be some regression in the near future. His K/BB is 2.02 which is pretty mediocre considering he's not a high K guy, and he's not really a groundball pitcher. Usually those guys end up with ERA's in the 4.30-4.50 range.

That said, I'd love to have Gorzelanny as he could fit in the rotation quite easily in between Arroyo and Belisle. He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.
    Agreed. Plus, Jake Peavy's going to win the Cy Young. I don't think there's really any debate about it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.
    I agree with you and M2 as well with Jake Peavy. My point was there are other good underappreciated out there besides Harang on bad teams. Peavy has some sick numbers this year no matter where he pitches.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I agree with you and M2 as well with Jake Peavy. My point was there are other good underappreciated out there besides Harang on bad teams. Peavy has some sick numbers this year no matter where he pitches.
    And I agree with you. He's a solid, young, cheap lefty. Those kinds of things are quite valuable to have in the rotation. But I don't expect him to post another 3.50 ERA next year either.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Gorzelanny's good. If only Dan O'Brien had insisted upon him as the return for Sean Casey.
    Wait..you wern't a fan of Dave Williams? come on...he pitched to contact!
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Gorzelanny is just 25, but based solely on what I see in his peripherals and minor league numbers, I think we're seeing his ceiling. His K/9 and BB/9 are both quite pedestrian and he's flyball neutral, so that ridiculous HR/FB rate of his will have to hold for him to maintain this level of production. That said, his HR/FB rate has been that way throughout his career, so perhaps it's a repeatable skill. I don't really know the scouting report in terms of what he throws.

Who's a good comp? John Maine?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wait..you wern't a fan of Dave Williams? come on...he pitched to contact!
    He was a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He was a #1.
    ...who pitched like #2.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    ...who pitched like #2.
    That's not fair. The Reds never gave him a chance. Maybe he was just nervous for his 8 starts...

I think a few of you are underestimating Gorz. He's consistently been a top prospect in his leagues, but under the weather. I don't recall his k rate lacking, until his call to MLB & I've followed him closely since his days in the low minors. He's a personal fav of mine so perhaps I'm a bit biased and/or overconfident but I forsee his K rate improving & I'm confident he can sustain another year with a mid 3's ERA.

He would have been a great target for us when Casey was dealt.. & he'd make a fine addition to any rotation. He won't be an ace but I think he can be a true #3 pitcher.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?